Help! I have holes! How do I fix them?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No insulation under the plywood.

I planned my retirement to include following the weather as much as possible. I've been moderately successful.... :rolleyes: Mother nature still catches me at times.

Insulation holds the heat in in hot weather. The only time the floor is excessively cold is when I get caught in colder weather for a few nights. Excessive heat from the pavement or exhaust system is more of a problem but insulation won't fix that, only radiant barriers will. A radiant barrier definitely requires a dead air gap and would crush the first time it's walked on so framing it out properly would be required. The heat only lasts an hour at most so why go to all that trouble to permanently fix a temporary problem.

I also don't favor putting polyiso under the plywood without framing it out. IMO, the weight of even me walking on it, would over time, cause the insulation to compress. And of course, compressed insulation is useless insulation.

The body shop gave me some aluminum tape. I used that to cover the holes left from the rails.

Almost There said:
I also don't favor putting polyiso under the plywood without framing it out. IMO, the weight of even me walking on it, would over time, cause the insulation to compress. And of course, compressed insulation is useless insulation.

For those who want insulation under the flooring without support framing- "real" building supply yards usually carry a polystyro insulation that has an ability to support more weight- it is often used under concrete slabs and below grade..... in my area it is a Dow product and grey or blue in color. It is water proof and can be adhered to metal and/or plywood with the appropriate adhesives.

For those who do want insulation, the floor can be thinner than walls, ceiling should be thicker.

Plain XPS is used under slab foundations, very high compressive strength. But polyiso is fine too, long as the edges aren't exposed, or can seal from crumbling.

No heavy plywood needed, in general lightening your construction will be safer, save mpg and suspension wear.

Or give you the ability to carry more gear without overloading.

But do make sure heavy stuff is well secured in case of accidents.

Almost There said:
No insulation under the plywood.

I planned my retirement to include following the weather as much as possible. I've been moderately successful.... :rolleyes: Mother nature still catches me at times.

Insulation holds the heat in in hot weather. The only time the floor is excessively cold is when I get caught in colder weather for a few nights. Excessive heat from the pavement or exhaust system is more of a problem but insulation won't fix that, only radiant barriers will. A radiant barrier definitely requires a dead air gap and would crush the first time it's walked on so framing it out properly would be required. The heat only lasts an hour at most so why go to all that trouble to permanently fix a temporary problem.

How about rattle trap? For sound barrier? Is that necessary or is the plywood good enough sound barrier?

I have absolutely no idea.

I've never used rattletrap, wouldn't know what it looked like if it bit me.

I've driven vans since 1975 except for a couple of years when I had a Class A on the road. I'm so used to the handling, visibility and sound of a van that driving a car makes me nervous.

IMO there are so many other sources of noise in a camper van that trying to quiet down noise by laying something on the floor isn't a worthwhile project.

The bottles in my pantry rattle, the pots rattle in the overhead,  my drinking mug in the center console makes a noise sometimes too. Heck some days even the cabinets squeak... :D A little road noise just adds to the ambiance!

Can't help you at all.