Hello!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penn-J

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Jeff and I recently decided to purchase a Chevy cargo van and live in it full time.

I'm 40 years old, no kids, no debt, got a girlfriend but I don't know for how long after I tell her I'm gonna live in a van...lol
I've been watching You Tube videos of peoples vans and I have to say WOW it really is amazing what people can do!

A little about me, I have been an avid backpacker for about 15 years and have done a few long distance treks.
I love the simplicity of life on the trail, the way you can just carry everything you need right on your back, set up your home for the night, pack up the next day and move on.

I miss that simplicity in regular life. The idea of living in a van has always been in the back of my head but I guess I was worried what other people would think.
I diddn't know that there is a whole community of people doing this!
When I happened upon Bob Wells on You Tube, I was blown away by how passionate he is about living in a van!

I live on the east cost (suburbs of Philly) and I really yearn to be out west hiking and exploring!
Don"t get me wrong, the east has some beautiful places, but I have to explore the west!

The past few years I took my week vacation hiking out west but it really is just a tease.
I really hate having to ask my boss if its OK if I take time off to hike.

So, my plan is to purchase a Chevy cargo van, camperize it, keep working at my job to pay it off and save enough money to take a year off and explore the west!
And I believe I might just stay out west and live the rest of my life in campervans!

My biggest concern is the whole electric thing.
I definitely want to do solar panels and have been researching on how to install them, batteries, inverters etc...
and I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated.
I am no electrician.

I came across a company called "GOAL ZERO" and was wondering if anyone has used these products.
Since I am a novice to this, I have been thinking of just spending the extra cash to purchase a "GOAL ZERO" system for my electricity needs.

I know I want a compressor fridge, a few LED lights, smart phone, I pad, fantastic fan in the roof and another small fan for the summertime.

Gonna go with a propane stove and a Mr. Buddy heater, and just a gravity water system over a sink.

I have to say I'm really excited that I discovered this forum!!

Any input from the experts on this site about the "GOAL ZERO" idea (or anything else) would be most welcome!

Thanks again!

Jeff Thompson

Welcome Jeff to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

the Goal Zero stuff is way over priced. read some of the solar threads, get to where you understand what's going on and build your own system. highdesertranger

Hiya Jeff and welcome. For the money, you can get a lot more power with a DIY solar setup. Sounds like you have the time to do your solar "right" (bang for the buck). Find out what ya can with reading here\wutnot, and when you have a question, just ask in the right forum and you'll get an answer. Best of luck and don't forget pics if ya can!

Hey, welcome to the forum. I am just a little ways ahead of you. I bought a van in the end of December and have been working on it since. I would agree with the poster above. Do your own solar research and buy a system you put together yourself. You will save!

Good luck!

--joe

Thanks for the warm welcome! OK, I will take the advice of doing the solar system myself.

Welcome Jeff! No rules lifestyle is where I'm headed too. :)

I have an idea which solar panels I'm leaning towards...then I came across the higher watt panels and my current curiosity of their viability output versus the 100 watt panels. I'm personally leaning towards two systems. In case one stops working, I have a small back up for limping until I get up and running again. I am a "what if" gal. lol

Safe travels ahead!