Hello!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surya said:
Cynncat, all the best to you. I am a newbie to this wonderful site as well. Your hand warmer that runs for 12 house caught me. Tell me more.

I have a gym membership as well that serves me in multiple ways. But I want to hit the road so not sure how that will work. ?
The hand warmers are made by zipo and you can find them in the hand warmer camp area in walmart. They work as a catalytic heater, with no flame. They even come with a pouch you stick them in when they are on. I've stuffed them under blankets while camping and woke up sweaty.

A large bottle of ronsons lighter fluid lasted me a month for 2 of them. And they cost $20 a pop. So pretty cheep. And I keep a window cracked any way, so no worries about fumes, which it does produce. And you will need a lighter. (Keep the heater level and tilt the lighter, also it will take a bit to light. and can be tricky when you first get it.

And on the gym membership part. Check the type of gym, some of them have places out side of your locale. I think 24 fitness might be something like that.

Out of curiosity, what do people pay for the membership? I'm at least going to save back for day passes to the gym. But a membership would be nice.

Welcome to CRVL ! :)

Those hand warmers are nice in the cold.  I've used mine since I was a Boy Scout take good care of them.
Sometimes you will see them in thrift stores and yard sales.  The "mantle" in them is most important. The body is
a overgrown cigarette lighter full of packing just like a lighter.  It doesn't take much lighter fulid to be squirted
in as these almost run on vapors.   Some types have you to squirt a shot of fluid on the mantle and ignight it
for a moment and then blow it out before placing the top on it and placing it in the red flannel bag.  That's important cause a bare one can burn you.

There are different sizes these have been made in.  I used a large Jon-e in the bottom of my sleeping bag
and a small one for my hands.  I've met hunters who had ref flannel belts that looked like money belts where
there was a pocket for a small one to be carried on either side of the lower back.  A kidney belt they called
them.  Said it would keep a hunter warm for hours.

One of the more unique ones I've seen and I've been told that they were issued to the Soldiers during the
Korean War,  used a solid fuel stick.  This burnt very slowly and was quite warm and dependable.  From time to
time I see this stuff in stores.  The hand warmer looks like this one.

81HIOA%2B0h5L._SL1500_.jpg

This is a typical liquid fuel hand warmer with the red flannel bag and yellow draw strings.

Most of these have one large hole to allow for lighting a cigarette.  I've also seen attachments
hunters use to lure deer.  There is a small bottle of "scent" applied to the attachment and the
heat of the hand warmer disperses it into the air.

images

But having one of these when it is cold and your hands begin to hurt,  is a blessing.

Cynncat said:
The hand warmers are made by zipo  and you can find them in the hand warmer camp area in walmart. They work as a catalytic  heater,  with no flame. They even come with a pouch you  stick them in when they are on.  I've stuffed them under blankets while camping  and woke up sweaty.

A large bottle of ronsons  lighter fluid lasted me a month for 2 of them. And they cost $20 a pop. So pretty cheep. And I keep a window cracked any way, so no worries about fumes, which it does produce. And you will need a lighter. (Keep the heater level and tilt the lighter, also it will take a bit to light. and can be tricky when you first get it.

And on the gym membership  part. Check the type of gym, some of them have places out side of your locale. I think 24 fitness might be something like that.

Out of curiosity, what do people pay for the membership? I'm at least  going to save back for day passes to the gym. But a membership  would be nice.

I got a $19.99 a month special. M gym I believe is in other states will need to verify. It's not a 24 hour one which I prefer. I did some research and came up with some other cordless car heaters I will purchase this week. A couple you plug into your lighter socket and the others run on propane. Even found a reasonable carton for storage on top of my truck. Found a portable stove for cooking and I amsot hit the roof. One of the things I miss about not having a house is cooking. I can do a bit with this. Will see if. Can post these it men's to share with you.

WriterMs said:
Welcome Cynn,

Your furbaby looks like a cuddler -- very cute.

Wondering how much "cooking" power you need? Like will something that heats up a can of soup work or do you need two burners, etc.?

So where do you plan to be for winter that is pretty much here?

I use a 6" Signature Sleep foam mattress (memory foam and another layer of foam -- cuts easily with an electric knife). It's just on a plywood platform and was comfy for good sleep for over 6 months for me last year.

There are some build threads in Cars showing simply to genius ways to live in a small space.
I don't eat much solid food because of my stomach issues. I'm thinking maybe a chicken breast, and broccoli, and warm torita. It's what I normally make. I was thinking just a single burner type. I was looking at some small grill things that fit over signal burners, I don't know where I would find one though. My town is kinda small.

Cynncat said:
I don't eat much solid  food because of my stomach  issues. I'm thinking maybe a chicken breast, and broccoli, and warm torita. It's what I normally make.  I was thinking just a single burner type.  I was looking at some small grill things that fit over signal  burners,  I don't know where I would find one though. My town is kinda small.

There was a long recent discussion of those grills, so I looked it up in the Food & Cooking section of this forum. I would guess you'd need something like that for cooking a raw chicken breast. Here's a link to that discussion thread:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Single-burner-grill-thing-Saw-these-at-an-ethnic-store-pictures

You will also find discussions on using a pressure cooker for foods that take longer to cook normally.

I have a Coleman one burner -- the flat kind that has an angled attachment for the propane canister at the side. It would be plenty stable to use with one of those diffuser grills.