hello, I'm from the Maritimes,Canada

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maritimecamper

Reaction score
I have been living off the grid, in different motorhomes,for 22 years now. I am on my third HOME ON WHEELS. I am recovering from a hip operation, so I chose to plug in to electricity for a while. I have to use a walker for a few months. So stopping for gas was a nightmare. We get a lot of rain on the east coast. I only pay 150 for power per month, so I don't mind being ON GRID till my hip heals. I have lived on mining claims, walmarts, you name it, I've been their in the last 22 years.I live on a small disability pension. I cannot afford an apartment AND wheels...so this is the BEST way for me to live. Talk soon

Hi Maritimecamper, welcome. Lots of good people here and great info is shared. With your longtime experience, I'm sure you will fit in in a hurry.
Les

welcome!<br>I made a too quick trip from Maine up through NB and drove the Cabot Trail in NS this fall.....really enjoyed the trip, even with rain and hurrying. Met several interesting and friendly folks....plan on returning. Expensive place though.<br>What area do you usually choose to live?<br><br>

<P>Hi Maritimecamper! I've spent a Lot of time in MiqMak Land and aLways Look forward to retUrning! </P>

thanks for the welcome! I have lived on the west coast, and the east coast. The east coast is cooler, but a bit dryer then the west coast. I share my portable home with my best friend, Dakota, a 10 year old border collie. Well, I best take the little guy for a walk. We'll talk again, bye.

Welcome from Ottawa. &nbsp;I trust your health improves so you to can continue to enjoy a lifestyle that members of this site have decided to adopt.<div><br></div><div>Here are a couple of photos of my rig.</div>

Canada eh, thanks for the welcome. I have stopped using the walker now, so it is a lot better getting around. I was thinking of parking in a shed for the rest of the winter, a shed with a wood stove. I have insulated the motorhome so that helps. This is a nice group of people here. I am still trying to figure out where is the best place to live, in canada. But freedom is staying mobile. Talk again.

<font face="Arial">Seeing you can stand the East Coast rain, what about the Lower Mainland, BC.&nbsp;</font><span style="font-family: Arial; ">I found this post on another site somewhere and saved it in case I ended up there. If you scroll down you will see some info about North Van. I lived and worked there back in the late 70's. Vancouver Island has a lot of places where you can camp. Winters average 7c in January. Lots of rain. It is really expensive in BC. People say BC means bring cash.&nbsp;</span><div><br></div><div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family: Verdana; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239); background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Vancouver free camping</span></p> <span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: Verdana; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239); background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">This is some info that I posted over in the Intro Section. I thought I should put it here as well. I may or may not update it with pictures?Enjoy...<span class="apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: Verdana; "><br> <br> <span style="background:#EFEFEF">Thanks for the welcome Sandy. I agree, there are not many RV parks in this city that are cheap. I do know of a couple. One is under the Patullo Bridge, it's called Brownsville RV Park. I believe they will take "ANYBODY", no matter the age or condition of your van,trailer,bus or RV. There is a pub, laundry,showers and a mail service all on site. It's not the prettiest place in town, but it'll get the job done. I think it is about $300 per month for a spot, wich is the cheapest around. They may even have a website. It's right down on the Fraser River, so all the free fish you can catch. AMIX Salvage is a 5 min walk for all you metal scrapper's out there. There is also a decent peeler bar around the corner, McD's, Subway, Home Depot, Skytrain/Transit, walking trails ect; as well. All within walking distance.<span class="apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><br> <span style="background:#EFEFEF">There are also a couple of seedy RV parks/hotels along the King George Hwy. but I don't know too much about them or the prices.<span class="apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><br> <span style="background:#EFEFEF">Then there is N.Vancouver, where there is a 6-10 block area around the Lonsdale Mall where many RV'ers live year round without too much hassle from the city or cops. There is a small creek and wetland area with trails to walk along. Walmart and the mall,gas stations, restauraunts, transit and stores all right there at your door. Seabus is a very short walk to get over to Downtown Vancouver. People have lived in large RV's for many many years in this area, so it's seems very safe and viable. It's like a little community where everyone watches out for each other and their rigs.<span class="apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><br> <span style="background:#EFEFEF">There is also the area around Strathcona Park on Prior St. right next to the Downtown core. It's an old neighbourhood with old houses and warehouses as a mix.<span class="apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><br> <span style="background:#EFEFEF">These are just a few places that seem to be the most common in our city and it seems like the city and police turn a blind eye most of the time. I think it's great, NO RENT TO PAY!<span class="apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><br> <span style="background:#EFEFEF">I know of many other less conspicuous places in the city, with MILLION DOLLAR REALESTATE, and no rich PPL will bother you because they are not established neibourhoods with lots of houses around. Places right on the Pacific Ocean and Burrard Inlet.</span><br> <span style="background:#EFEFEF">I hope this may help any new Vandwellers coming to the city and any Vancouver renters looking to become Vandwellers.<span class="apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><br><br><br></span></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Hi, thanks for that info; I was many years on the lower mainland of bc. I didn't care for it too much, it seemed the closer you got to the ocean the ruder people became. I spent 6 winters on vancouver island, yes the rain got to me. I got tired of my dog being wet so often. As I'm getting older, I seem to like it cooler but drier. I went down to arizona and mexico a few winters, as my work was seasonal. I think I will stay on the east coast for a few years, now