Hello. I Would Like You To Meet T-Rex.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanoRama

Reaction score
Hello from the Great White North, Alberta Canada. I have been an occasional forum lurker but have read almost all the links on the main site, read Bob's book as well as Jason Oden's Vanabode ebook. I came across this site years ago searching for alternative cheap RVing. Great site.

Although a few years off from doing some snowbirding a super rare rig came up and it was time jump in the water. I made a short video for you to meet T-Rex.

You will have to excuse my word fumbling. I attempted a second take but the camera did not cooperate and I ran out time. I will pretty much remain a lurker for now but thought you might like to meet T. Happy RVing.

Rocket Ronny

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Ronny!
To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

It is nice to see that there is actually room for a real shower with a high-top. I hadn't thought of reserving a section of the back as a
"garage" for my bicycle. I had been wondering how I could keep my electric bicycle when I move into a van. Now I am getting even more ideas.

Thanks.

Nice video, subscribed and commented. Looking forward to more videos.

Hello and thanks everyone for the welcome. For now I will just be a Van Life poser but still a fun journey. I enjoy reading your posts in this forum. Happy RVing.

Rocket Ronny

Those Intervec campers are really nice. I miss ours. Welcome to the crew...

Nice rig. I would have been thrilled if there had been a 4x4 van produced when we were shopping for the Expeditions. I'd take this in a heartbeat over a 4x4 pick up with a camper on it.

Seraphim said:
Those Intervec campers are really nice. I miss ours. Welcome to the crew...

Hi Seraphim: Thanks so much for identifying the camper maker, Intervec. I tried to search for Falcon since that is what is on the van but could not find anything meaningful online, but searching Intervec already show some good stuff.

One thing I have wondered is how well is it insulated. I was able to get behind one panel and felt about 1-1/2" of fiberglass insulation, so the walls may be a R4 or 5 at best. Don't know about the ceiling. Any other Intervec info totally welcome.

The previous owner also had a Sportsmobile 4x4 with a pop top. He liked the Intervec better. He did not like the pop top due to hassle of use and lack of heat retention at night.

He had 6 4x4 vehicles including a U-Joint build and said the U-Joint and the Intervec were the best 4x4s. T-Rex was 4x4ed by Advanced 4x4 van conversions in Utah. http://www.advanced4x4vans.com/conversion.htm

Thanks again

Unless someone added insulation, I don't think the insulation was great. Ours was in very nice condition when we bought it - it had been nicely stored for years - so I didn't mess around it too much.  But unless you're going into extremely cold weather, the insulation should be sufficient. Our first trip was in a average Midwestern winter, and no problems.  The first and only time we slept in the overhead lol. The overhead made a great storage area - we organized everything into nylon bags or plastic containers. A bit of shuffling to get to things, but once organized it work great. If you can find one of the baby fences that go on the side of the bed to keep baby from falling out, it does a fantastic job of keeping stored items from falling out of the overhead.  We had that area packed lol.

Heres a link to a blog I experimented with, and quickly tired of maintaining.  Might give you some ideas.

https://bentfalcon.wordpress.com/gyrfalcon-interior-photos/

There's also a users group for Intervec, started by former employees of the original company in Elkhart Indiana. Never joined myself, but they do travels and get togethers...

Might learn from them, or attend one of their trips and see what they've done.

And if you're going to sleep on the fold out bed, which I personally recommend, then memory foam will be your best friend. We rolled it up into a nylon bag and stored it in the overhead area.

Seraphim said:
And if you're going to sleep on the fold out bed, which I personally recommend, then memory foam will be your best friend. We rolled it up into a nylon bag and stored it in the overhead area.

Yes. This is the plan. Did you find the bed small at all. It certainly would be snugly for two, but no worse than the backpacking tent we use. I liked your rig in the blog. Looks like home. Thanks for the great help. Already the benefits of sharing with has paid off substantially. What did you replace the falcon with?

Jim:  Why the big 3 did not make 4x4 vans 30 years ago is beyond me. A 4x4 van is up there with the best exposition rigs built today. I looked for one for about 3 years and finally scored. These are super rare up here. U.S. cousins have it way better as to selection.

Rocket Ronny

Replaced the Falcon with a Palimino m2902 truck camper.

With two people, we began to feel a little friction after about a month on the road. We don't FT, but spend as much as three months at a time on the road. The truck camper has a small slide, so we can get a bit of separation, and if one wants to go to sleep early, the other has room to themselves, which wasn't hapening in the Falcon. When you open up the bed, the other person is trapped in the front passenger seat. Or the toilet lol.

Super COOL! I saw one of those in Arcata Ca and fell in love with it. A little too tall for true "wheeling" but I know I could really use that front axle in my van. I grew up driving the backroads of Az and I always wanted a van then and still do...maybe tow a vintage 4x4 like a CJ, Bronco or Scout behind it...That's my dream.

Seraphim said:
Replaced the Falcon with a Palimino m2902 truck camper.

With two people, we began to feel a little friction after about a month on the road.  We don't FT, but spend as much as three months at a time on the road.  The truck camper has a small slide, so we can get a bit of separation, and if one wants to go to sleep early, the other has room to themselves, which wasn't hapening in the Falcon. When you open up the bed, the other person is trapped in the front passenger seat.  Or the toilet lol.

NWS: Yes the van is tall so will be restricted as to true 4x4ing. True 4x4ing for me is best done on a quad or dirt bike. I can go on my bike no 4x4 can go due to trees. The van is not planned by us to be an extreme off road rig but one that can get us to a staging area. A base camp if you will. From there we will backpack, mountain bike, kayak, etc.

Honestly, trying to find the perfect rig is almost harder than finding the right person to marry. Any way you look at it, choosing a rig you find a whole bunch of compromises. You just have to find which ones you can live with and what is it you want to do most. For us it is adventure RVing so we are willing to suffer with less comfort to have a rig that can take us to off road destinations.

Rocket Ronny

VanoRama said:
NWS: Yes the van is tall so will be restricted as to true 4x4ing. True 4x4ing for me is best done on a quad or dirt bike. I can go on my bike no 4x4 can go due to trees. The van is not planned by us to be an extreme off road rig but one that can get us to a staging area. A base camp if you will. From there we will backpack, mountain bike, kayak, etc.

Honestly, trying to find the perfect rig is almost harder than finding the right person to marry. Any way you look at it, choosing a rig you find a whole bunch of compromises. You just have to find which ones you can live with and what is it you want to do most. For us it is adventure RVing so we are willing to suffer with less comfort to have a rig that can take us to off road destinations.

Rocket Ronny

+1

I have been a busy beaver and made some videos on safely winter driving your RV, sparked by Nomadic Fanatic's snow chains in Colorado video found here.

So here's the dirt on snow, a 3 part series of short videos.

Rocket Ronny

P.S. I tried to respond to Seraphims comments as to why the Falcon did not work for him, his quote was posted but my response disappeared. Since we are used to backpacking and tiny tents T-Rex will seem like a vansion.

Oh Man !!! Another video has appeared on my channel. This time talking about choosing an RV. I have a cool intro happening now too.

Rocket Ronny