Hello Everyone! Newbie here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltySeaWitch

Reaction score
Just saying hello to everyone after being a lurker for a while. I am in the process of selling my house so that I can buy my van and start ft van dwelling. I will be going solo so I am nervous, excited, and a little scared, but I can't wait. I really wanted to make the RTR so I can learn and meet people but not sure I will be ready this year. I've never been out West and I'm looking forward to seeing it when I can. In the meantime I have been reading everything on here and trying to learn as much as I can to convert my van into a comfy little home on wheels. My parents have been van dwelling for many years so I have some insight into the life, I just haven't done it myself yet. Kids are grown so it's time for me now.  I really appreciate this site and all who contribute information to it. I hope to meet some of you in my future travels, especially other female solo travelers like myself.

Welcome SSW!

I am one of the many solo women travelers on this forum. Let's keep our fingers crossed that your home has a miraculously fast offer and you can get a van in time for RTR. As long as you have the basics and could withstand changing weather, you would not necessarily have to have it all "finished" to join in.... RTR could be a "learning trial run." LOL

Is your handle meant to convey you live near the ocean?

WriterMs said:
Welcome SSW!

I am one of the many solo women travelers on this forum. Let's keep our fingers crossed that your home has a miraculously fast offer and you can get a van in time for RTR. As long as you have the basics and could withstand changing weather, you would not necessarily have to have it all "finished" to join in.... RTR could be a "learning trial run." LOL

Is your handle meant to convey you live near the ocean?

Thank you WriterMS!

I am a native Florida girl. Born in Cocoa Beach area (Rockledge). I'm currently in TN and have been here a long time now but can't wait to get out of here. My son, and grandson have been why I stayed so long but it is time to go now. The handle is just one I used before and I couldn't think up a new one for "van life" yet so just used that one again. I do love and miss the ocean though!!! My favorite place to be (so far) <3

I was thinking the same thing, make a bed and throw in my stuff, and just head to AZ, finish it there and maybe even find someone to explain solar hook up because no matter how much I read Bob's "how to" posts I do not get it lol. Everything else I can probably do myself but that part has my brain hurting :)

It is great to meet a solo female traveler! I thought I was unusual when I first thought of doing this, then I saw other women were doing it too and it really encouraged me to go for it! I have been reading some of the female solo blogs like RV Sue and others and they really inspire me. I am 47 (soon 48) so I still have to work while traveling but the kids are grown and I am ready to do what it takes to make it happen.

I have someone coming out Tuesday to look at house so yes, let's hope it sells fast!! It wont be much, but it will be enough to get my rig and make it for a while til I find some work on the road workamping or whatever. I'll take all the prayers/positive vibes I can get! I really want to make it to RTR this year! Hope to meet you there if I do!

SaltySeaWitch said:
I have been reading some of the female solo blogs like RV Sue and others and they really inspire me. I am 47 (soon 48) so I still have to work while traveling but the kids are grown and I am ready to do what it takes to make it happen.

I have someone coming out Tuesday to look at house so yes, let's hope it sells fast!! It wont be much, but it will be enough to get my rig and make it for a while til I find some work on the road workamping or whatever. I'll take all the prayers/positive vibes I can get! I really want to make it to RTR this year! Hope to meet you there if I do!

Is Becky of Interstellar Orchard a blog you read? She has been working for years and camping with a Casita. It seems she generally likes to work National Parks in summers and for Amazon in Fall and Winter. This summer she was in Yellowstone and points out the advantages of being able to really explore a Park on days off, etc.

WriterMs said:
Is Becky of Interstellar Orchard a blog you read? She has been working for years and camping with a Casita. It seems she generally likes to work National Parks in summers and for Amazon in Fall and Winter. This summer she was in Yellowstone and points out the advantages of being able to really explore a Park on days off, etc.

Yes, she is one of the blogs I have found. Another is Malia. Can't remember her blog name right now but we have been chatting on FB and she has been very helpful. She has a huge RV, not a van, but she is helpful and supportive. Great to see women of all ages doing whatever makes them happy.

Welcome to the CRVL forums SaltySeaWitch! We have a good many solo female members but I don't recall anyone who has van dwelling parents. That is very cool! Hope you can make it to the RTR. And bring your parents too! :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and Welcome!! :)

Had had my van almost a year now. Other than a comfy bed to sleep on, I treat it like a hard sided tent with storage. Keeping it simple. Like you, I'd like solar one day, but I..just...don't...get...it!!! lol So I keep it easy in there, charge things while driving, and keep a couple battery jumper packs for like a fan on hot nights. It works for now. So many things can be done with them, but then it starts adding up in the $$$ department. Hope your house sells fast and you make it to the RTR. :)

Hi rvwandering!

Yep. My folks have been married about 55 or so years, are in their 70's, and have been full time van dwelling over 22 years now. I always thought they were just crazy. Who knew it was a thing? lol. They do it old school too. No solar, nothing to make it easier. They boondock and stealth camp all year long. They are very active and work selling stuff at flea markets and road side to supplement their SS. My mom says when you sit in a house alone, you just get old and die. I believe her now :)

I am trying to talk them into following me to AZ. Right now they are off the road at my brothers while my dad recovers from a major illness. They are restless and ready to go back out on the road though.

The good thing about having my van dwelling parents is that my own kids didn't even blink when I told them I was going to sell my house and live in a van. They were used to Grandma and Grandpa so it was no shock to them. My youngest son said he thought it was a great idea and that "it's in our gypsy blood". My daughter laughed and said "You have turned into Grandma". Everyone was good with it. Not that it would have mattered to me if they weren't, but it's still good they were supportive.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Theadyn said:
Hi and Welcome!! :)  

Had had my van almost a year now.  Other than a comfy bed to sleep on, I treat it like a hard sided tent with storage.  Keeping it simple.  Like you, I'd like solar one day, but I..just...don't...get...it!!!  lol   So I keep it easy in there, charge things while driving, and keep a couple battery jumper packs for like a fan on hot nights.  It works for now.   So many things can be done with them, but then it starts adding up in the $$$ department.  Hope your house sells fast and you make it to the RTR. :)

Hi Pamela!

I can rough it like a tent too if need be. I have roughed it before, at least this time it's by choice! Good for you getting out there and doing it. It really encouraged me to hear from you so thanks!! Hope to make it RTR and meet you!!

I read on one of the website posts that a stereo place can hook up your solar and if I don't find someone to help I plan to check into their costs for it. I am also confused on 110 when in a park workamping. Electricity is a confusing thing :huh: My older brother is a lineman so I am sure he could do my wiring if I can catch him home. He is in Oklahoma working right now and on the road more than he is home. Whole family of gypsies so I come by it honest :D

Welcome SSW,   :) 

You  are blessed to have folks who have some experience full timing and outfitting a Van.  As you learn from
them you may be able to pass your knowledge and experience on to your kids some day. 

I haven't really full timed on my own yet,  rather used the Van in my work where I traveled and worked
between divisions of my Corporation on shorter term assignments.  In those times I was a youngster and single
but engaged in stealth travel using the Van to get between assignments. 

If you'd like to see how I set up my Van take a look at my signature line below.  It was simple, efficient,
and inexpensive.  Just the thing for starting out. 

All the best !

Hi eDJ!!

Thanks so much! I did look and the awning part is especially helpful as I had that idea but didnt know how to explain to my son how to do it. Now I can show him your plans. Very simple and exactly what I want. This is great!! I am so excited. I need this house sold yesterday lol

Hello SSW, and welcome to the forum!

You'll have to let us know how the house showing goes...we're all kind of a big nutty family on here, so I know we're ALL rootin' for ya!!

Good Luck, and Hello from the Oregon Coast!

SSW, your parents are an incentive to me! I'm 70, and this will be my first solo (long) trip in my van - Montana to the RTR in Arizona! Hope to see you there. By the way, I'm planning on leaving Montana around the first of December, so I'll be camping in Arizona for a while. If anyone has any advice on a good area to stay in, please let me know. Thank you.

Patrick46.....I will definitely keep you posted. At this point, and in this market, I am just taking what I can get and getting out from under it. Love all the support here! Thank you so much!

Marie....I hope to be able to see you there. You are never too old. Look up RV Sue's blog. She is really inspiring! Most women I have talked to are well over 60 and doing all kinds of things like kayaking and loving it!

Belinda2....I'll take Fantasy Island over Nightmare on Elm street any day ;-)

I am new to this as well....... but as usual, I dove into the deep end, head first.  So i bought a Fleetwood Revolution 38' and have been having modifications ans improvements done for the last 3 weeks. So now it has a motorcycle carrier mounted on the back and I will tow my car and motorcycle and I am leaving FL to go to Vegas for the holidays, to see my family.

So, I plan to drive from Delray Beach FL to Vegas, then LA, San Fram, Wash and then back east to NY.

I was actually looking for a ride along buddy, so that Its not just me and my baby...... a 5 year old German Shepherd. ::)nd I stumbled on this site.......

OK, so thats my first post to a bog anywhere........... so if you have any suggestions or ides or just want to blab OR if you want to baby step it and ride with me, you can email me.

Mark
[email protected]

Hey Mark, have you read about the RTR on here in Arizona? Sounds like the place to be to get lots of good info. this January. Not sure if you can work it in your travel schedule but you might want to try.

I have thought about getting a bike myself. Gotta learn how to ride one first but it would be a cheap vehicle to have once parked.

Everything is hinging on my house selling right now. Until it sells I am pretty much stuck here.

Hi Salty, welcome and best of luck getting a buyer for your old house asap so you can get your new house rolling!

Sassy