Hello! going to look at a van tomorrow

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I've decided after many years (6+) of daydreaming that now may be the best time in my life to give vanlife a go. Basically, the universe has cleared away all obstacles and excuses that would otherwise keep me tethered. As I begin taking real steps ($$$) towards making the commitment, I'm going to need to do more than passively watch youtube videos. I hope to find community here. :)

Tomorrow, I have an appointment to go check out a 2017 Promaster City Cargo van. The price and mileage seem like a good deal. I'm a little concerned with the number of recalls that are out for the PMC. My plan is to get a hold of the VIN and confirm with a dealer what/when/how any outstanding recalls can be addressed. Any insight from other PMC owners is greatly appreciated!

It's nice to meet you all.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

You should be able to take a picture of the VIN on the dash with your phone, take 2 or 3 in case you moved the instant it took, or whatever.

Also have someone, some dealers will do it, do a Carfax search to see if its been wrecked or other calamities befell it. The history may be interesting in any event. I was glad to learn my 05 4runner hadnt ever lived anywhere with real snow and salt on the roads.

Best of luck in your vehicle search.

Welcome, and enjoy the quest!

It's been a long time since I've researched vehicles, but if you can find a source for Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) for the make and model you're considering, it can be interesting.  Carfax is a must, IMO because there are implications for salvaged titles, etc.

Update: Apparently, it's pretty easy to get TSB's now. Here's one link for more information: https://www.consumerreports.org/car...et-a-technical-service-bulletin-tsb-for-free/

Welcome to the CRVL Forum's :)

It's a great place to get answers and good advice.

If you can find a Public Library Reference department that is open, or even call Monday
and ask to see if they keep the NADA vehicle prices books you may have a better idea of what the vehicle's true value is.

It will give you averages of what the Bank would loan on it, the retail & wholesale value would be with adjustments for those extra or special features it may have.
Getting the VIN and researching it is a good idea too.

OfficialUsedCarGuide.jpg

just remember CarFax is not the finally word it only shows what has been reported. used car dealers never report to CarFax anything that would devalue the car. also there are many shops both mechanical and body that do not report. highdesertranger

I did it! I bought the van yesterday. After taking it for a test drive and having a friend who is mechanically inclined look it over, I waited a week to gut check and be sure that it was really what I wanted. I ran the VIN and no recalls came up on this specific vehicle. It is 2017 with 34K miles. 
My next step is to figure out the best way to hang a hammock inside and maybe start with some noico sound dampening. I'm going to peruse the forum history on these topics. 
Thank you all for the welcome!

Paging @TurtleLady for insight on how to set up a van with a hammock. That is how she has hers set up.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hi and welcome.[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] What a beautiful van! I like your spirit of adventure, and your decision to see the positive opportunity in the challenging new reality this virus caused. [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Shadowmoss[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]introduced me to all [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]weather [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]hammock camping over a decade ago.[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] Now she keeps insisting I pay it forward! LOL! I do love talking hammocks. Feel welcome to PM me if you want to talk hammocks. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My 2017 Nissan hightop cargo van is[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] my newest portable hammock stand and my [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]retirement travel plan. I love it. Your van looks about the same length as mine.[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] But you are apparently going to get much better gas mileage![/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]A[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ttaching a hammock to my van[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] interior was super easy[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] because I have not built out the interior walls. Does [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]your van[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] have[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] exposed interior walls[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]? What is your interior like?[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] If[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] you have experience with sleeping comfortably in hammocks[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif], it should[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] easy for you to do it in your van. [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I suspect you already know that! [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Forgive me if I am preaching to the choir. If you are not already used to sleeping in a hammock, there is a learning curve and lots of fun to be had.The basic caution early on is to hang no higher than you are willing to fall. That probably won't be a problem in your van. Be ever mindful of what is beneath you when you test your system, though. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Perhaps you can find a helpful hint in this brief description of my hammock system for my van. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]In a restricted space, a few inches here and there of this and that can make a huge difference in the comfort of a hammock system. [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] DIY hemmed and gathered-end [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]hammock is [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]made relatively short but wide compared to most commercial gathered end [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]hammocks. The hem is extra deep to accommodate the loops of[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] strong rock climbing rope made as short as possible to reach the widespread anchors with only a gentle swag when the hammock is weighted. A wider spread for the gathering makes for a more comfortable hang. I sewed a covering over the foot end to prevent losing things overboard.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]We used b[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]olts and rock [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]climbing hangers (because we had them and they are strong) for all four anchor points. We found existing holes for the front two [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]anchor points, located [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]in the back of the storage shelf area above the sun visors on both sides. Locking chain repair links saved cost and inches for attaching the hammock rope loops to the hangers there. I seldom disconnect those. F[/font]or the rear two anchors we drilled[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] new holes[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] in the ribbing and I use locking climbing carabiners there so it is easier to take that end down and tuck the hammock ou[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t of the way and to reattach it later.  In cooler weather I often leave the bulkier hammock system attached at both ends when not in use and draw the hammock and underquilt over and up to the sidewall with bungees or slings for convenience or for improved visibility when driving. [/font]

Have fun. Keep us posted on your progress. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] Joyfully, TurtleLady[/font]

Those were supposed to be Smiley's. Guess they don't transfer from the phone. Or our emojis are victims of the attempt to keep the forum from crashing.

Turtlelady said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My 2017 Nissan hightop cargo van is[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] my newest portable hammock stand...[/font]
LOL!

Thank you @TurtleLady for sharing such helpful information! My hammock experience is mostly from a patio in the Caribbean. I'm hoping my skills transfer well to the van. 

And I will keep y'all posted on my progress for sure!

Latest posts