Hello from Sunny Sacramento

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deltarat64

Reaction score
I wanted to introduce myself, as I just joined the group. I'll be turning 50 next month and my wife retired a couple of years ago. We are looking for a way to enjoy retirement and still live on her pension and what I can make as a handyman/whatever.
We have a 25' trailerable sailboat that I would like to keep and use as we travel so my thoughts were of getting a retired U-haul 14-17 moving truck, use it to haul the boat and a 22-28' travel trailer (one at a time) around the country, that way we can get the best of both worlds.
My wife has only seen one National Park (Yosemite) and I would love to show her the rest, also we would love to spend extended trips on the water sailing the San Juan Islands, Catalina, The Gulf of Mexico, The great lakes, etc. Has anyone one on here done something like that?
20140702_141456.jpg
Looking forward to learning a lot here before we finally pull the plug.

Attachments

• 20140702_141456.jpg
    20140702_141456.jpg
    587 KB
gsfish said:
Hello from sunny Florida and welcome to the forum.

I had a friend that pulled his boat all over and used it like a camper when on the trailer although his was a light displacement centerboarder. He wasn't into frills.

Guy

PS" You might want to check the air in that left rear trailer tire!

If it was just me I would probably do that, but the wife is a tad pickier. Yeah that is what happens when you try to get those last couple of miles out of those 20 year old tires.

WOW...nice boat!!

I read an article somewhere about a couple who trailered, sailed, and cruised EVERY body of navigable body of water in the U.S. (I'm certain they write articles for SAIL)

I think you've got a killer idea!! Spend time camping on the water during the summer, and snowbirding it during the winter!! Count me in!

When I first saw that you were from Sac, and called yourself a Deltarat...I thought for sure you'd be into houseboating, as there are so many wonderful cruising opprotunities in the Sacramento River Delta. What a beautiful area!!

Welcome to the forum! Your frame of mind will fit in nicely 'round these parts!! :D

Patrick from the Oregon Coastline

Patrick46 said:
When I first saw that you were from Sac, and called yourself a Deltarat...I thought for sure you'd be into houseboating, as there are so many wonderful cruising opprotunities in the Sacramento River Delta. What a beautiful area!!

Patrick from the Oregon Coastline

Yeah my wife and I have been boating the delta for over 20 years, we just recently (6 years) changed up to sailing, lots of great places to sail on the Delta as well.

gsfish said:
Hello from sunny Florida and welcome to the forum.

I had a friend that pulled his boat all over and used it like a camper when on the trailer although his was a light displacement centerboarder. He wasn't into frills.

Guy

PS" You might want to check the air in that left rear trailer tire!
The air is fine, it's the tire...

I think that's an outstanding idea!!

I don't usually recommend diesels, but the one thing they are really good at is pulling weight up big hills and you will be doing a lot of that. I'd get a diesel, preferably a Dodge Cummins as your first choice or a Ford 7.3 as a second choice. If you can find one. If not then a Ford V10 gasser.
Bob