Hello from Portland, Oregon, for now

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brightbluejim

Reaction score
I just bought a '93 Toyota chassis/cab with cargo box (i.e., a small cargo truck). It's like a box van only a pickup chassis instead of van. The box is self-contained, i.e., you can't get from the box to the cab without going outside first.

This is my third house on wheels.

The first was in 1989, with a 3/4-ton pickup truck I first converted to a flatbed, then built a simple box house on top of, using appliances and other fittings from a broken four-star truck camper. Box was 7' wide x 10' long x 7' high. Had a shower stall, water heater, kitchen sink, 2-burner stove, and crawl-through port through the cab's back window. Lived in it for about six months, September through February. With emphasis on the February. That was when I let it get too cold one night and all of the pipes and the water pump froze. Learned a lot about what was and was not necessary in a camper.

The second was 2010 in a Dodge Grand Caravan with very little in furnishings, put together in a hurry. Moved in in May, transmission failure forced me to move into conventional housing eight months later. My efforts to avoid plumbing problems resulted in going too far the other way, which involved parking where I'd not likely be seen and taking sponge baths. Discovered that not being able to stand up was a major drawback. Also learned how much power is needed by a laptop computer, even when it's used mostly during the day at the public library.

The "new" truck is just tall enough for me to stand up in (I'm 5'9"), and I'm outfitting it with a couch which will initially be my bed, a worktable, a filing cabinet as a set of self-latching drawers, and a wooden rack to hold plastic storage tubs in place. Have separate 12V power, inverter, propane tank, 2-burner camp stove, LED strip lighting, and a portable generator. I'll be looking to add solar panels later, in order to make a refrigerator practical, but that's a bit too lavish for the moment. I'm going "stealth" in two ways: first, from the outside there will be very few clues that this is a residence, and second, even when I open the back door, the inside looks more like a work area than a home. The worktable is large enough to hold all of the equipment necessary for use as a mobile TV production control room, for doing multi-camera video shoots on-location, for which I'll be hiring out my services.

Stumbling onto www.cheaprvliving.com is one of the best things I've ever accidentally done. Lots of great advice (I know this from the many observations that agree with my own), and lots of ideas about alternative ways of doing things.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Jim! Glad you found us!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and welcome! Glad you found a ride/home on wheels that fits your needs better! Happy Friday!Peace!

brightbluejim said:
I just bought a '93 Toyota chassis/cab with cargo box (i.e., a small cargo truck).  It's like a box van only a pickup chassis instead of van.  The box is self-contained, i.e., you can't get from the box to the cab without going outside first.

This is my third house on wheels.

The first was in 1989, with a 3/4-ton pickup truck I first converted to a flatbed, then built a simple box house on top of, using appliances and other fittings from a broken four-star truck camper.  Box was 7' wide x 10' long x 7' high.  Had a shower stall, water heater, kitchen sink, 2-burner stove, and crawl-through port through the cab's back window.  Lived in it for about six months, September through February.  With emphasis on the February.  That was when I let it get too cold one night and all of the pipes and the water pump froze.  Learned a lot about what was and was not necessary in a camper.

The second was 2010 in a Dodge Grand Caravan with very little in furnishings, put together in a hurry.  Moved in in May, transmission failure forced me to move into conventional housing eight months later.  My efforts to avoid plumbing problems resulted in going too far the other way, which involved parking where I'd not likely be seen and taking sponge baths.  Discovered that not being able to stand up was a major drawback.  Also learned how much power is needed by a laptop computer, even when it's used mostly during the day at the public library.

The "new" truck is just tall enough for me to stand up in (I'm 5'9"), and I'm outfitting it with a couch which will initially be my bed, a worktable, a filing cabinet as a set of self-latching drawers, and a wooden rack to hold plastic storage tubs in place.  Have separate 12V power, inverter, propane tank, 2-burner camp stove, LED strip lighting, and a portable generator.  I'll be looking to add solar panels later, in order to make a refrigerator practical, but that's a bit too lavish for the moment.  I'm going "stealth" in two ways: first, from the outside there will be very few clues that this is a residence, and second, even when I open the back door, the inside looks more like a work area than a home.  The worktable is large enough to hold all of the equipment necessary for use as a mobile TV production control room, for doing multi-camera video shoots on-location, for which I'll be hiring out my services.

Stumbling onto www.cheaprvliving.com is one of the best things I've ever accidentally done.  Lots of great advice (I know this from the many observations that agree with my own), and lots of ideas about alternative ways of doing things.

Wow, that's some pretty extensive experience. I didn't know the Toyota truck chassis with cargo box existed until a couple of months ago. My understanding is that they were used by U Haul, are rare and sought after, right? Best of luck with this - sure sounds like a well considered set up.

helinwheels said:
Wow, that's some pretty extensive experience. I didn't know the Toyota truck chassis with cargo box existed until a couple of months ago. My understanding is that they were used by U Haul, are rare and sought after, right? Best of luck with this - sure sounds like a well considered set up.

Tell the truth, I didn't know of it either. Turns out this was a standard vehicle that Toyota produced for such things as class-C motorhomes and of course small cargo trucks. The cargo box on mine was made by Superior, better known for their school bus bodies.

My intention was to take a "well-broken-in" small pickup truck, remove the bed, and build a lightweight box on its chassis to use as a house, which was what I had done with my '72 Chevy 3/4-ton back in 1989. But this time, when I went looking for the pickup truck, what I found instead was a truck with the cargo box already included. This was on a used car lot, and I told them what I was looking for, and everything they were trying to sell me was too big or too new and too expensive. Then I saw El Poco Grande Blanco, sitting in the back lot, dirty, clearly not intended for sale any time soon. A Toyota 1-ton with duallies and a cargo box. It was love at first sight. It was already 3/4 of the way to what I was looking to build.

As to how well thought out it was, that remains to be seen. I'll be going full-time next month.

Jim

brightbluejim said:
Tell the truth, I didn't know of it either.  Turns out this was a standard vehicle that Toyota produced for such things as class-C motorhomes and of course small cargo trucks.  The cargo box on mine was made by Superior, better known for their school bus bodies.

My intention was to take a "well-broken-in" small pickup truck, remove the bed, and build a lightweight box on its chassis to use as a house, which was what I had done with my '72 Chevy 3/4-ton back in 1989.  But this time, when I went looking for the pickup truck, what I found instead was a truck with the cargo box already included.  This was on a used car lot, and I told them what I was looking for, and everything they were trying to sell me was too big or too new and too expensive.  Then I saw El Poco Grande Blanco, sitting in the back lot, dirty, clearly not intended for sale any time soon.  A Toyota 1-ton with duallies and a cargo box.  It was love at first sight.  It was already 3/4 of the way to what I was looking to build.

As to how well thought out it was, that remains to be seen.  I'll be going full-time next month.

Jim
I just PM'ed you and it went someplace. Possible even to you. Can't tell. Helen

Hopefully some pics? Hoping you got some with the dirt still on it? I really enjoy seeing before/after. If not, no worries! :cool:

Okay, y'all have twisted my arm.  Here are some pictures of El Poco Grande Blanco.  These are all "before" pictures, because I haven't done anything yet that altered its appearance, other than putting some stuff in the back.

AADofZbcJdrLzQW3RlQzt0jra

Your basic profile

AABnCIU65rHLeWo3jmBL4H_Oa

The glamour shot

Hm. The preview isn't showing the pictures. I'm going to go ahead and post at this point to see if this is working.

Jim

Okay, one more try:

ElPocoGrandeBlanco_Side_zpsvieahsye.jpg

That's better.  She's old, but still beautiful. Doesn't look a day over 23 to me. Oh, wait.

ElPocoGrandeBlanco_Front_zpskcbmljrq.jpg

There's the glamour shot.

ElPocoGrandeBlanco_RearClosed_zpsljznduo4.jpg

The not-so-beautiful side.  And this is the problem.  First, it's a roll-up door, which means it can be locked from the outside, but not the inside.  Not a great configuration for a house. Second, the paint on the roll-up is peeling and water has gotten into one of the panels pretty badly.  But that's what I'm working on this week.

ElPocoGrandeBlanco_RearOpen_zpslwsb2gow.jpg

Now you see, for a cargo truck it looks kind of small, but that box is 7x10, and here it is with a 5' worktable, couch (up in the very front), and full-size filing cabinet in roughly their intended locations.  Here I'm working in here on the new back wall, which has a swing-open door 36" wide.  Working on this in between other jobs and rain, I should have it done by Thursday.

Further progress I suppose belongs in the "Miscellaneous Vehicles" section, so I'll start a thread there as I make progress.

Helen, if you didn't get my PM, something's not working.

Jim

Hey I can't wait to see what you do inside! looks like it has a lot of head room! Peace!

I like the back wall/door idea.

I've replaced acouple of those roll-up doors on stepvans and cargo trucks due to delamination from water damage. Seems to be an extremely common problem with them. (not to mention all the interior room the roll-up tracks take.)

Can't see why they don't make them with some sort of aluminum fiberglass board laminate. They'd hold up significantly better!!