Hello from Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonLea

Reaction score
My people, my people!

I am on the downhill to this journey.  For the past year I have been reading every book available on Vandwelling, watching all of your YouTube videos, and searching for my new home. 

Recently I purchased a 78 GMC Van Dura Coach.  It is completely gutted and rid of the orange shag carpet and dark paneling.  Currently she is at the mechanics getting a complete tune-up, new tires, and safety check.  Once that project is complete and paid for, I'll be converting the interior myself.  I am so excited for that project. 

In the meantime, I am clearing out my house and getting ready to rent it out until next Spring, when I will put it in the market.  I read Bob's book and absolutely loved his suggestion of "practicing" vandwelling by moving into a small space to experiment.  I have a converted shed that I will be moving into and living as if I were on the road.  Hopefully, the van will be all done by May, the house will sell in June, and I'll be on the road by July.  God willing and the water don't rise!  

I find the most difficult part of this phase is the impatience.  There should be a term that adequately describes that period after research, after the decision, while one is making preparations and the promise of this new life is all one can focus on. I call it "The In Between."  I haven't revealed any of this to my co-workers yet, so there are times when I go into work and become giddy when I realize I will abandon this life in a few short months. 

I've read every post to these forums, including the "Tips and Tricks" page.

I can't wait to meet you all along the way.  Happy travels!

Welcome aboard SimonLea!
I'm guessing you're Lea and Mr Fuzzy is Simon?

There is a term you can use "Hitch Itch"

Welcome! 

Yes, "The In Between." & the process that one goes thru during it can seem long and tedious.  The tasks that are required to have a far better life are very well worth the effort.  At least that is what I tell myself on a very regular basis.  Self brainwashing can be a useful tool in days like these.

You have a solid and well thought out plan. 

That is one happy looking dog, should make a fine co-pilot.

Welcome SimonLea! Sounds like you are very well prepared and you don't need the link for Tips and Tricks. :)

And you probably already know that we love photos! Post any and all so we can follow along with your build. Building usually takes longer than expected so the time may fly by. Hope to see you on the road soon!

Welcome!! I'm camped outside Sisters Oregon, and you are welcome to visit my camp at any time! We are thinking to stay here until Labor day and then start heading north. Hope to see you if possible!
Bob

THANK YOU!  If you head over to Eugene at any time, please let me take you out for dinner or coffee!  You can park in my driveway as well and use the laundry, bathroom, wi-fi, or whatever I have to offer.  You have been such a huge inspiration and I plan on being in Arizona for the winter next year to meet you and the rest of this tribe.  I'd love to drive up for the day and see your camp as well!

SimonLea said:
THANK YOU!  If you head over to Eugene at any time, please let me take you out for dinner or coffee!  You can park in my driveway as well and use the laundry, bathroom, wi-fi, or whatever I have to offer.  You have been such a huge inspiration and I plan on being in Arizona for the winter next year to meet you and the rest of this tribe.  I'd love to drive up for the day and see your camp as well!

Anytime! Just email me at [email protected] and let me know.
Bob

Welcome, from a Washingtonian, (does that make us geography cousins?)

I know well about the impatience. I registered in early 2015 and it will be about early 2018 when I launch. Three years of planning!

Welcome! Oregonian myself. Will be renting my house out this fall and traveling for 18 months. Or more. Who knows. The road will show me.

towhee said:
Welcome!  Oregonian myself. Will be renting my house out this fall and traveling for 18 months. Or more. Who knows. The road will show me.

That's super news Nancy!! I'm really glad to hear that, you are  natural born nomad!   Bob

Lea, I look forward to meeting you and Simon in the desert. Sounds like you will spend one more winter in Oregon and then take off to be a full timer. Wonderful!!!