Hello from one who is eager to join in.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doneta

Reaction score
Hello Ya’ll, what a wonderful find to have stumbled across a YouTube video of Mr. Well’s.  My yearning to do this is beyond measure.   Right now I have a home base in Virginia, but due to poor health of my parents I have literally moved in with them as a care giver.   Daddy is 93 and Mother is 87, both in failing health and in need of full time care.  But once they are no longer on this earth I will be ready to hit the road.
I cannot express appreciation for all the good advice given, and if I start now I should have myself pretty well set up by the time I am able to hit the road and join in.  I know it is a process of learning what works and what doesn’t but all ya’all have given me some great ideas.
I was showing my mother some of the videos and she just looked at me and said; “you want to do this, don’t you”.  I just said “yep”.   I told her hey mom after living in Europe for many years, this concept of using a bucket for a bathroom would be a piece of cake.  I once was in an apartment in Italy where the toilet was just a 6” hole in the floor, so you see a 5 gal. bucket would be luxury.
Don’t know how long it will be before I can hit the road, as the parents come first, but someday I will be out there with all Ya’all.

Welcome aboard from another care giver !
I've been a fulltime dweller for over 35 years now so I have an idea of how to do it but I do find new ideas here every day.
There is no right or wrong way but whatever works out for you!

Good luck with your preparations and hope your folks hold up and make you stay for a good while. Ask any questions that pop up , no such thing as a dumb question here.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum :) 

I can imagine how important it would be to a care giver to have someplace to come to get his or her mind away from the demands on their time and emotional energy.   This can be an escape,  a plan for the future,  a learning experience,  and even a novel  for you to read in the Captains Log.

So enjoy as much as you can here and visit when you can.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Doneta! there are a number of us who are niw or have cared for thier parents in the later years and put our lives on hold. Meanwhile, the planning and dreaming keeps us moving forward.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi from United Kingdom. I am a nurse about to say goodbye to the job. Im also caring for elderly parents like yourself but whenever I get chance I am practicing the way Im going to spend my retirement years. Being 55 I hope I get a good number of years. Its hard work looking after the parents but worth it and not only gives you the satisfaction of knowing you did a good job looking after them but hopefully give you some good memories of them as well. All the best Damon