Hello from Newbie from Tucson

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloriahass

Reaction score
I lived as a full-time RVer for quite a few years. I had to stop as my RV needed too many expensive repairs. I lived in apartments. Now, with the rent going higher than what I can afford, my lease is up March, 2019 and I am looking at van dwelling. I have a friend who will outfit the van for my use. 

I looked at that I might be able to get a job in the mental health field (they don't care how old you are to work like other places). I am considering this to save up more money. I know with the rise in rents everywhere that if I moved into another apartment that if I lost my job, I would be out on the street. There are a lot of layoffs and firings because of downsizing in the mental health field here in Tucson.

I do have my own business and hope to be able to sell my crocheted dolls online and on the road. I have sold some books, I have written, in the past and haven't really promoted them as I could have. Looks like I'll be ramping that up again.

I have missed living on the road and now here's my chance to go back at a more affordable cost to me with money left over at the end of the month.

I have been watching a lot of the videos to gain knowledge as being a van dweller would be new to me. A lot of helpful advice and knowledge!

I live in Tucson and the only mail forwarding business is the UPS store unless I want to rely on the unreliable U.S. Postal Service.  :p

I will continue to use Tucson as my base as this is where I have excellent medical care and my dog has an extremely good veterinarian.

My dog loves to ride in a car and she's used to apartment living. I believe she'll be fine. We'll just take a lot of walks which will be good for both of us.

I was concerned about safety and see that with there being a tribe, and knowing people I can stay with when I visit different areas, that I'll be fine. I am aware of my surroundings at all times.

I look forward to getting to know people and gain more knowledge.

Hello, Gloria and best wishes to you.

I travel with my dog, as well. We take daily walks and, if the weather is cool, longer hikes, now that she is older. She has her own pack so whatever she brings in, she takes out - with a little help. As a solo-woman traveler, I look to her for the exquisite company she is. I never feel lonely and, as a bonus, I have a natural born tracker to help when my navigation skills are lacking. Follow the DOG! I keep her vet records in a water proof pouch, inside her pack. A note explaining that she is basically a dolphin with fur is attached. Chip in the ear; peanut butter in the Kong and she is great!

Cheers to you both.

Welcome Gloria to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

LathrenJames,

Thank you for replying and telling me about the waterproof package for your pup's records.  :idea:

Do you travel all over or stay in a specific region?

Gloria

I travel the US, according to the weather. If I stop too long, I get antsy. I absolutely love meeting people but I also love being alone and I make sure to take my alone-time to re-energize and to focus on my next journey. There is always something new to see in this country. I am never bored of it. I hope you find your travels joyous and fulfilling. I believe you will. ;)

I'm like you - I love meeting new people and value my alone time. I would like to meet the people on the forum during my journeys. I like to put a face to a name and enjoy people time at times.

Gloriahass said:
I'm like you - I love meeting new people and value my alone time. I would like to meet the people on the forum during my journeys. I like to put a face to a name and enjoy people time at times.

There is a gathering in Colorado near Buena Vista in July- hosted by Kevin. Even if you dont have a van ready, yet, you might like to make this. Tent-camping is fine in CO, this time of year. It's actually required..;)

Look for the coordinates and info. In the Gatherings forum.

I appreciate the invite. I am needing to save all of my money for my move out in March, 2019. I'm on a very limited income. I don't own a vehicle or a tent at this time. I will check the gathering information when I'm able to be on the road.

Thank you!

Since it had been about 8 years, I was a little timid about going back on the road. Now, that things are settling in, I'm excited!