Hello! Everyone.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My name is Yoseph and I am 66 years young. I retired from my job about 10 months ago. For about a year or more before my retirement
I used to watch all these videos van dwellers post and I was fascinated by their life stories and told myself some day I want to be a van dweller
at least part time. So, about 6 months before I retired I bought a Ram Promaster and slowly but surely made it dwelling worthy by July of 2018.
I was always in ow of videos and pictures from Alaska so I decided to go there. Left here mid July and returned early September. I am in the
Dallas area and Alaska was the place to be this summer.

I am in the Dallas area and Alaska was the place to be this summer.

Hey! I live in Dallas. PM me.

Congrats on your new life, and welcome to the forum!

Phyllis
(In my next life I will cut down on my gratuitous use of exclamation marks.)

wow I bet you made some fab memories of that nice trip! I hope you are loving your van!

phyllisindallas said:
Hey! I live in Dallas. PM me.

Congrats on your new life, and welcome to the forum!

Phyllis
(In my next life I will cut down on my gratuitous use of exclamation marks.)

I tried to PM you but got this message. phyllisindallas has private messaging disabled. You cannot send private messages to this user.

RoamerRV428 said:
wow I bet you made some fab memories of that nice trip!  I hope you are loving your van!

The whole thing felt like a dream while I was up there. Alaska is beautiful. I worked about 12 hr days from April to mid
July to get the van ready. Now I am making some changes and additions that I did not have time for before. I love the
van, it is a solid performer.

I've waffled a bit between the Promaster and Ford Transit. The Transit gets about the same mileage, so that won't be a factor. At this point, I'm tending toward getting a Transit early next year, just after the RTR.

Part of the reason I stopped wanting the Promaster so much was because I went to the local Promaster dealership three times and they weren't even there, even twice, during business hours. They insisted this was very unusual, but I found it strange. In the end, I thought it could be a sign that this isn't the vehicle for me.

That didn't stop me from entering their contest for a free Promaster at the county fair a few months ago... but I didn't win, apparently, and they've never used the entry form information to call me back, even though I checked the "Plan to Buy" box. I guess they didn't consider me a serious buyer. Whatever. I like the Transit. But the Promaster is nice... I like the way it looks and I know a lot of people like the straightness of the walls.

travelaround said:
I've waffled a bit between the Promaster and Ford Transit. The Transit gets about the same mileage, so that won't be a factor. At this point, I'm tending toward getting a Transit early next year, just after the RTR.

Part of the reason I stopped wanting the Promaster so much was because I went to the local Promaster dealership three times and they weren't even there, even twice, during business hours. They insisted this was very unusual, but I found it strange. In the end, I thought it could be a sign that this isn't the vehicle for me.

That didn't stop me from entering their contest for a free Promaster at the county fair a few months ago... but I didn't win, apparently, and they've never used the entry form information to call me back, even though I checked the "Plan to Buy" box. I guess they didn't consider me a serious buyer. Whatever. I like the Transit. But the Promaster is nice... I like the way it looks and I know a lot of people like the straightness of the walls.

I see a lot of Transits in the Dallas area, they must be good vehicles. The Promster won out over the Sprinter for me. Those were the
only two I had considered. Usually car dealers are good until they take your money it is a good thing you found out what they are like at
that dealership before you bought from them. I would suggest you take both vehicles for a test drive before you decide for sure. I loved
my Promaster when I swerved to miss an animal at 66 mph and I thought the Promaster should have laid on its side but it stayed on
its four wheels.

After using it you can discover the changes to make that suit you perfectly to make it all the best set up you can :)

Your trip felt like a dream! Love that, a great dream of course!! Happy for you!

As I understand, Promasters have three body styles and two engines. Which did you choose? The high roof will be so easy to live in but it has to affect gas mileage and being pushed around by side winds. The long wheelbase has more room but a person would have to alway be aware of the added length.

Zephyr said:
As I understand, Promasters have three body styles and two engines. Which did you choose? The high roof will be so easy to live in but it has to affect gas mileage and being pushed around by side winds. The long wheelbase has more room but a person would have to alway be aware of the added length.

I chose the 3500, 3.6L v6, 159" wheel base high roof. It has plenty of room for my needs. We have to always adjust for driving conditions usually
slowing down will help. I wanted to be comfortable and built in a shower and put in a water heater, Two 200ah batteries with 3000watt inverter. I love the Promaster so far, it is a well built machine.

Thanks for the info on your Promaster. The one you bought is a good size to live in. It has a lot advantages: straight sides, front wheel drive and a powerful V-6 that has decent fuel mileage considering it's frontal area and weight. Is yours fairly new? I'm guessing you haven't had any issues with it.

Zephyr said:
Thanks for the info on your Promaster. The one you bought is a good size to live in. It has a lot advantages: straight sides, front wheel drive and a powerful V-6 that has decent fuel mileage considering it's frontal area and weight. Is yours fairly new? I'm guessing you haven't had any issues with it.

I am a recent retiree at 66 and hope to travel for at least the next 10 years so I decided to get a new one and do the conversion. I have
about 12800 miles on it most of it from my Alaska trip. I haven't had any issues with it.