Hello Everyone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bar-S-Ranch Guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. 

I'm a new member to this forum. I discovered bob on YouTube. I love his interviews and advice. 

I was recently given a 1982 class C El Dorado RV. It's built on a Ford Econoline 350 chasis. It has a 7.5 liter gasoline engine. It only has 49,000 miles, and it's in great condition. I would love to take off and travel in it, but I have an 80 acre ranch. I have 6 large breed dogs, a horse, and a bunch of chickens. I can only leave for a couple of days, before I have to be back and take care of everything. 

I love living in the country, and I also love the RV community. I have been playing with the idea of opening my ranch up to boondockers, who want a relaxing, safe, and laid back place to stay. I would love a community fire on nice nights, and just meet people from all over. I would like to be able to put in a dump station one day, and basically be able to provide services for the mobile community. I'm not trying to get rich, I'm just trying to figure out a way to enjoy spending time with my nomadic friends, until I am able to hit the road. 

I would love to hear what you all have to say about my ideas. I am hoping to become very involved with the beautiful nomads of the world.  :D

Hi, Bar S (hmm... verbalized that sounds a little like bare a**) so let me start over...

Hi, Bar S Ranch Guy!
Various ideas for an almost boondocking RV stopping place has been discussed over time in a few different threads. Since you already have the land, I bet you could attract some nomads. But I think it mostly depends on how close you are to the travel routes north and south that so many nomads follow. (Which in a very general way is the Rocky Mountain corridor.)

Not that a place in a state like Kansas could not do well. Then it might depend on the general ambience of the place, if there is other free camping nearby, and how convenient the location is to other things to see and do.

Hanging out around a nightly campfire happens at every nomad gathering if there are no burn prohibitions in place. So your vision for that is right on the money.

Welcome aboard BSRG!
Yeah , knowing what part of the country the Bar S is located would help people to know what the weather would be like during different seasons.

OH , and how about posting a pic or two of the camper?

Thanks for the warm welcome. My ranch is just outside of Giddings, TX. I am about an hour drive, east of Austin, off Hwy 290.

I would be happy to post some pictures, I'm just not sure how to do it. Do I just paste them here, or is there a place to upload them.

Thanks.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Bar S Ranch Guy! We love the idea of having one more place to call for home for a night, few nights or longer. You may want to check out Boondockers Welcome
( https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/ ) and Camp InMy Garden ( http://campinmygarden.com/ )

Another option is a farm sitter. I house sit my way across the country. Sometimes for pay and sometimes just for a place to park. Depends on the locale.

Whatever you decide we hope to see you out there

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Bar-S-Ranch Guy said:
Hi everyone. 

I'm a new member to this forum. I discovered bob on YouTube. I love his interviews and advice. 

I was recently given a 1982 class C El Dorado RV. It's built on a Ford Econoline 350 chasis. It has a 7.5 liter gasoline engine. It only has 49,000 miles, and it's in great condition. I would love to take off and travel in it, but I have an 80 acre ranch. I have 6 large breed dogs, a horse, and a bunch of chickens. I can only leave for a couple of days, before I have to be back and take care of everything. 

I love living in the country, and I also love the RV community. I have been playing with the idea of opening my ranch up to boondockers, who want a relaxing, safe, and laid back place to stay. I would love a community fire on nice nights, and just meet people from all over. I would like to be able to put in a dump station one day, and basically be able to provide services for the mobile community. I'm not trying to get rich, I'm just trying to figure out a way to enjoy spending time with my nomadic friends, until I am able to hit the road. 

I would love to hear what you all have to say about my ideas. I am hoping to become very involved with the beautiful nomads of the world.  :D
Congratulations!
Two ideas. Get in touch with some of the RV Friends and vet some to come and give you support on the farm while you take off for a couple of weeks at a time. Vet them carefully though. There are a lot of well meaning "wannabees" but not many "Can-dos).
I assume you've got the land. Therefore you can get a loan to develop an RV site. Central power, water, shower, and dumps station; maybe a central firepit. Otherwise, dispersed sites, trees and bushes.
Most RVers have, or want, to stop and socialize occasionally anyway. They don't mind paying a little, especially in a pleasant place. It just galls us to pay $15. or $20. a night. The Techno-gypsies are going to have to have these type places at critical point any way to meet each or and exchange information.

Happy trails - M.