Hello, Everyone!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
I found my way here after watching "Without Bound". Living a mobile lifestyle has been a casual dream of mine for at least a decade. Just 4-days ago I bought my first van. I'll say a final farewell to my apartment on May 31st.

Between now and the end of May, I hope to pour through the forums and learn many things. I've been homeless-in-my-car on two previous occasions. First time wasn't by choice but I survived. Second time was by choice, and I survived, but I wasn't able to sustain myself. This time, with some experience behind me, and surrounded by people here who've been there & done that, I hope to realize my mobile living dream once and for all.

I'm a 53-year old man with a beagle-sized dog. I retired early and I get by on a modest fixed income. My van is a 1996 Dodge 2500 with a 3.9L V-6 and a short wheelbase. Aside from tires, it seems reliable enough.

I'd like to begin my boon-docking/dispersed camping adventure in a relatively healthy environment. No deserts for me, please! I'd like to opt into the sunshine but have plenty of shade to park beneath and stay cool during the day. Comfortably warm nights would be nice but if forced to choose, I'd rather endure chilly nights than to endure hot days. As a point of reference, 65-75 during the day, in the shade, sounds like paradise to me. Not sure if that's realistic but it's something to shoot for.

I guess I'll close here with a few pictures to introduce myself, my dog, and my van:

View attachment 7524View attachment 7525View attachment 7526

Awesome, out by the end of May? Way to get some motivation :) Best of luck and don't discount the desert area....seems there is a large difference in climates in that area and you may be able to find the exact weather you're looking for.

I have never been to the SW, having lived in North Florida/South Georgia my entire life, except for a cool 8 months in Nome Alaska (see what I did there?) but I'm sure people will pipe up with ideas for you.

Cool van and neat looking dog, what type is it?

Welcome to the CRVL forums Richard! Thanks for the pics, we love them!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum!

And as Rugster said - don't discount the desert!

My first introduction to the Arizona desert was very disheartening - my thoughts were 'if this is what I drove all this way for, I can drive all the way back... :rolleyes: !

And then I found that just like the rest of the country, there are different parts of the desert depending on where you go. I also was able to find some nice oasis right in the middle of the desert.

Warm counts for a whole lot so most of us flock to a the warmest parts of the continent to escape the cold. By looking I was able to find the best of both worlds....camped beside the Colorado River for example. All around me was what I consider to be butt ugly desert but there I was with trees and water... :D  And then I found a few more places that satisfied my need for trees, shade and running water (not the drinking kind..lol).

The trick to living in moderate climes all year long without driving long distances (like I do!) is to use elevation to your advantage. Go up when it starts to get too warm for comfort at sea level, go further up as the spring progresses until you're at, say 7,000 ft, then slowly work your way back down in elevation as it starts to get too cold for comfort again.

Rugster said:
Awesome, out by the end of May? Way to get some motivation :) Best of luck and don't discount the desert area....seems there is a large difference in climates in that area and you may be able to find the exact weather you're looking for.

I have never been to the SW, having lived in North Florida/South Georgia my entire life, except for a cool 8 months in Nome Alaska (see what I did there?) but I'm sure people will pipe up with ideas for you.

Cool van and neat looking dog, what type is it?

Yeah, I'm on a short time-frame. Thanks for your well-wishes!

Haha, I see what you did there :)

I've had her since she was 5-weeks old (I was told she was 8-weeks by the seller, but my vet said she wasn't more than 5-weeks old) and I was told that she was a 'puggle': half pug, half beagle. She's 7-years old now and someone the other day remarked that she has a stripe of fur that runs down her back, and that this particular stripe is unique to the Rhodesian ridgeback dog breed. If that's true, then I have no idea what kind of dog she is  :)   She's a great companion, though, and loves to travel in a vehicle so that works out really well.

VanDwellerModerator said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums Richard!  Thanks for the pics, we love them!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.  

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks very much for the welcome, and the link to helpful info. Glad to be here! :)

Almost There said:
Welcome to the forum!

And as Rugster said - don't discount the desert!

My first introduction to the Arizona desert was very disheartening - my thoughts were 'if this is what I drove all this way for, I can drive all the way back... :rolleyes: !

And then I found that just like the rest of the country, there are different parts of the desert depending on where you go. I also was able to find some nice oasis right in the middle of the desert.

Warm counts for a whole lot so most of us flock to a the warmest parts of the continent to escape the cold. By looking I was able to find the best of both worlds....camped beside the Colorado River for example. All around me was what I consider to be butt ugly desert but there I was with trees and water... :D  And then I found a few more places that satisfied my need for trees, shade and running water (not the drinking kind..lol).

The trick to living in moderate climes all year long without driving long distances (like I do!) is to use elevation to your advantage. Go up when it starts to get too warm for comfort at sea level, go further up as the spring progresses until you're at, say 7,000 ft, then slowly work your way back down in elevation as it starts to get too cold for comfort again.

Thanks for the welcome!

You're so right about elevation. I currently live in Albuquerque, NM, which is considered 'high desert'. Like Denver, it's about 5,300 feet above sea level. The general rule of thumb, as I think I understand it, is roughly 3 degrees difference per thousand feet elevation. That holds pretty well for me, at least here. There are supposed to be more factors to consider but I'm just not that much of a weatherman to understand beyond the rule of thumb I just shared :)

I read on a different web site about a guy who, as of 2008, had lived for 21-years in the same 1973 van. He took full advantage of the elevation point that you made. His 'home base' area was a mesa just north of Cottonwood, AZ. He said that he could find any weather he wanted within a 50-mile radius. Up to Flagstaff if it got too warm, down to Prescott Valley if it got too cold. I loved reading about his life, which he generously shared in great detail over dozens of posts. I cried when I read about one of his dogs dying. I winced to learn that he's pulled his own teeth on at least two occasions. And, of course, I felt a friendly sense of envy to realize that he's long been living the simple kind of lifestyle that I wanted for myself.

I wonder if there might be a similar area here in New Mexico that offered just about any variation of weather within a 50-mile radius. If not, well... maybe Arizona's got something for me there :)

Welcome!! You found a great place to hang your hat, some wonderful folks here.

I miss NM something fierce, lived in Benalillo for a short time back in 2000 and can't wait to get back out that way. I bet you could do some BLM land up near Taos in the summer and slide down towards Cimmarron in the winter... but I bet its bit more temp extremes than he had.

Welcome to the CRVL :) 

A great place for a guy in your position.   So much info here and a treasure of people who can give you good honest advice from their experience.

Queen said:
Welcome!! You found a great place to hang your hat, some wonderful folks here.

I miss NM something fierce, lived in Benalillo for a short time back in 2000 and can't wait to get back out that way.  I bet you could do some BLM land up near Taos in the summer and slide down towards Cimmarron in the winter... but I bet its bit more temp extremes than he had.

Thank you! I'm originally from NJ but I moved to NM about 7 years ago and really like it. Nothing in particular, really, just a 'vibe' here that suits me. Taos does seem like a great place to boondock for the summer. So far, the whole Santa Fe NF looks like a treasure trove waiting to be explored. I think the days up there would definitely be in my preferred daily temp range, but the nights... ugh... they look pretty chilly! brrrrr :)

Hi, Richard,
I lived in the East Mountains (Sandia Park) and in ABQ proper for a number of years. Did tons of road trips all around but my then-boyfriend was not into any sort of camping (wimp! LOL).

One suggestion I have is to look to higher elevations but to the south in NM -- Silver City and Ruidoso areas. As research on one of my books, I did a good deal of boondocking in the Capitan area --- taking 380 east to Ft. Stanton with tons of BLM side roads sites to choose from. There is a horse camp area right on 220 that should have a camp host with a map showing the gravel roads for boondocking. When I was there, the gravel lot of the horse trail area was free for boondocking, too, if you did not need/use an electric plug-in.

A little farther east on 380, there is a road going north and there are a lot of places up there to boondock too.

You can check the night temps for those areas -- I think they should be warmer by a bit than Taos and Angel Fire and Red River (some neat Forest Service campgrounds just west of Red River and one or two are free).

Welcome! Yes, I'm just about where you are. I've been researching for almost a year now. Just starting to work on van. Hopefully I'll run into you out there. One day at a time, don't get overwhelmed.

WriterMs said:
One suggestion I have is to look to higher elevations but to the south in NM -- Silver City and Ruidoso areas.  As research on one of my books, I did a good deal of boondocking in the Capitan area --- taking 380 east to Ft. Stanton with tons of BLM side roads sites to choose from. There is a horse camp area right on 220 that should have a camp host with a map showing the gravel roads for boondocking. When I was there, the gravel lot of the horse trail area was free for boondocking, too, if you did not need/use an electric plug-in.

A little farther east on 380, there is a road going north and there are a lot of places up there to boondock too.

You can check the night temps for those areas -- I think they should be warmer by a bit than Taos and Angel Fire and Red River (some neat Forest Service campgrounds just west of Red River and one or two are free).

Hey, thanks very much for the suggestion to look south. I hadn't given much consideration to the south, assuming that north was cooler and therefore my only option. Will definitely check out the areas you mentioned. Cheers! :)

Welcome aboard Richard
Everything I would have to add has already been said , well , mostly.

Everybody has their perfect spot and it can be very different depending on who you ask.

The great part of living on wheels is you can do all the exploring you need till you find yours!

Don't post anymore pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just kidding we love 'em !

No guess here on the heritage of the pooch..

Richard said:
Hey, thanks very much for the suggestion to look south. I hadn't given much consideration to the south, assuming that north was cooler and therefore my only option. Will definitely check out the areas you mentioned. Cheers! :)

If you head south and are looking for a fun road, try 152 just south of T or C (just past Caballo), you can take it over to Santa Clara and pick up 180 to Silver City.  It's a super winding road but goes though some amazing scenery.  And the Gila is some awesome camping.

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard Richard
Everything I would have to add has already been said , well , mostly.

Everybody has their perfect spot and it can be very different depending on who you ask.

The great part of living on wheels is you can do all the exploring you need till you find yours!

Don't post anymore pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just kidding we love 'em !

No guess here on the heritage of the pooch..

Thank you, popeye! Hey, sorry for the late reply. I must have read your posts, then got distracted, and never made my way back (that happens more than I wish it did :)  ) And, yeah, not sure anymore about my pooch's heritage. Some kind of Beagle/hound in her, though, because when the emergency sirens start blaring, she's a snout-up a-howling right along with 'em! (Can't wait until those sirens are distant memories, replaced by the sounds of wind through the trees, babbling brooks, etc.)

Queen said:
If you head south and are looking for a fun road, try 152 just south of T or C (just past Caballo), you can take it over to Santa Clara and pick up 180 to Silver City.  It's a super winding road but goes though some amazing scenery.  And the Gila is some awesome camping.

Thanks again for that tip, Queen. I look forward to exploring Gila, probably not long after RTR (unless something more interesting comes to light during our gathering together). When I was hobbling through an earlier attempt at mobile living, I spent some time in Arizona's Apache-Sitgreaves. It was around Heber-Overgaard that I felt the strongest call. I'll revisit that area, too, at least for the sense of nostalgia. I feel a bit foolish for feeling almost giddy about the amazing possibilities ahead. Even now, though I could stay in my apartment til the end of the month, I'm half tempted to launch early just to get started! :)

ilovemyvan said:
What's stopping you? GO, Have The Time Of Your Life!

Nicole

Hi, Nicole. I... um... well... actually, nothing's stopping me except me! :)

Ok, time to start organizing my few possessions for loading into the van. With a little luck, I should be outta here by Wednesday morning.

/high-five!  Thank you!