Hello Everyone! Can't decide on my vehicle.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindsEye

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been researching nomadic life for approximately 5 years.  I told myself that I would retire when my son graduates and he is graduating in 2020.  I planned on February of 2020 but I am retiring 8 months earlier in order to find the type of rig I want, get rid of a lifetime of junk and clutter, organize and spend the last year of school with my son so that he has an awesome senior year.  I need your help, I have been flip flopping back and forth between a class c and a truck and trailer.  Why?  A class c is way roomier but I want to be able to travel into areas that are off road and I cannot afford a 100K earthroamer, so that vehicle is but a dream :-/ .   I like the vintage RVs, 1971 Dodge Honey Cobra class c, 1980s Toyota Sunrader and others similar.  I also like the vintage airstreams, and the fiberglass trailers like the casita, Oliver, Escape, and scamp 5th wheel versions.  Maintenance on a RV vs. a truck, safety in a rv vs. a truck all come to mind.  Hitching up the trailer in the middle of the night if I am in danger, as opposed to jumping in the front seat of a class c.  Leaving my trailer behind to explore, only to come back to it gone. :huh:  Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated and I hope to see you out on the road in the future.  Thank you for reading my post. :D

Welcome Mindseye to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. personally I would go for a 4x4 truck and trailer. but that's just me. highdesertranger

Everyone has different needs and wants, but having had both a small class A and a van-camper, I prefer the seperate smaller trailer and a good-sized truck to pull it.

I can set up camp and still have a vehicle to explore and run errands. 

Security is always an issue no matter what you have, but there are ways to secure a trailer if left unattended...and the hitch can be changed if you really want to go to the effort to have something that few vehicles will be able to hook up to.

Good luck with your plans!

Go look at everything that seems to suit.

I started out in a class c. I loved it. But maintaining al the systems, dumping tanks, and not being able to take it further out helped me to decide to downsize. I do miss some of the comforts a class c offers. But, ,I enjoy the simplicity of my van so much more.

I started with a 37 ft. Class-A and downsized to a 21 ft. Class-B built on a Ram Promaster chassis.  I prefer the Class-B over the Class-A because it has taken me to many places that I would not have dared to go in the Class-A.  I did not want anything which was articulated, including a tow car, because that impacted moverability.  I like my Class-B also because I can use it as a vehicle to go into the city with little problems.  

Yes, the Class-B is small, but has all of the comforts that I need and so far has not been anything restrictive.  I have a shower, bath, fridge, convection/microwave, freezer, TV, generator, etc.  The only thing that I really lack that I had in the class-A is a washer/dryer, but that really doesn’t bother me.  

I spend most of my summers on the road.  Last year I took a three month trip into Alaska, including a side trip up to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT.  And I was quite comfortable, including during the time that I was camping on the Arctic.

The majority of the RVs you listed will not be offroad vehicles. For instance the Toyota Sunrader, only the 4 x 4 version would be any good for that and those are very rare as not many were made. When you do find them they are overpriced for what you get which happens to be an all particle board cabinets which do not stand up to going off road.

So you have the issue of ground clearance but you also have the issue of needing an interior in the living area that can stand up to that kind of driving. Think it through, look carefully at all the components and not just at the ground clearance.

Join the Expedition Portal forum, that is a forum that is all about going off road. Many of the rigs there are not high end expensive ones. They also have a classified section. You will learn a lot about places to go and how to set up your life for it. https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/

I was lucky & found a low milage, no rust '93 diesel ambulance with 80,000 miles total, looks a couple years old. Lived indoors, was a 2nd unit of a small fire dept & well cared for. Power everything, heat/air front & rear, new tires, batteries & 250 amp altonator. 21' long, easier to drive & park, very little to covert, I have to take storage out. It came pre wired for 12v DC, 120v AC, insulated, lights are in, the interior is in. Very little to do to due to have a top notch home on wheels. Much safer than most RVs as it has built in roll cages you don't see. Will haul 6 legally 2 in the front 4 in the back. Remember these cost $250,000 or more & firemen take great pride & care for their vehicles. No stickers or light bars to deal with. The box is a Horton who sent me the build sheets so I know where all the wiring goes. Here's one of Bob's videos on one alot like mine. Get's 16-18 mpg & had a 35 gallon tank. Here's some HORTON videos. You won't believe the quality. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjuimjxGZ279DxJEDOygg6Q?view_as=subscriber You do have to hunt for a low milage one & buy from a small fire dept but sounds like you have time to hunt for a gem. I paid $2k. Good Luck, let me know if I can help. Thanks! Eric

tx2sturgis said:
Everyone has different needs and wants, but having had both a small class A and a van-camper, I prefer the seperate smaller trailer and a good-sized truck to pull it.

Security is always an issue no matter what you have, but there are ways to secure a trailer if left unattended...and the hitch can be changed if you really want to go to the effort to have something that few vehicles will be able to hook up to.

Thank you so much for the feedback.  It is a lot to research but having this feedback helps.   :)

tx2sturgis said:

Thank you this is helpful.  There is a lot to research and I appreciate your response, this is so helpful.  :)

Thank you everyone for your feedback, this is really helpful information and I appreciate you taking the time out to respond.  I hope to see you out and about and I will definitely let you know what I decide on.  This is a very exciting chapter in my life and having such a supportive community makes this decision to change my lifestyle so much easier.  This forum is new to me and if I posted several times and did not reply directly to others, so sorry.  Still learning.  I hope this messages reaches you all. 

Safe travels everyone.

For what you can get used on a budget...a TT is the most cost-effective route for sure.

I echo the suggestion to explore the floor plans and layouts in person.
Having a look at the more common models/makes will pay dividends in the long run.

Even cheap older units can be made road solid for comparatively little money.
...and a breakdown involves a tow of your normal sized truck or van that any AAA-type-company will tow, but retains your house outside the garage while the fix happens.

If you use a cap, you can make weekender accommodations inside if need be.
Very versatile situation.

You have time to find a great deal on an ambulace. Pull up you tube & search for ambulance safety test & you'll never buy an RV. They come wired, insulated, more storage than you can use. Why not buy a super well maintained $250K top quality easy to drive & park, safe vehicle for next to nothing that takes almost nothing to customize, you have to take storage out. Mine gets 16+ mpg running 75mpg.

JD GUMBEE said:
For what you can get used on a budget...a TT is the most cost-effective route for sure.

I echo the suggestion to explore the floor plans and layouts in person.
Having a look at the more common models/makes will pay dividends in the long run.

Even cheap older units can be made road solid for comparatively little money.
...and a breakdown involves a tow of your normal sized truck or van that any AAA-type-company will tow, but retains your house outside the garage while the fix happens.

If you use a cap, you can make weekender accommodations inside if need be.
Very versatile situation.
Thank you, I am looking at TT in person and even some truck over bed campers.  I will keep you posted.  :shy:

cyndi said:
Go look at everything that seems to suit.

I started out in a class c. I loved it. But maintaining al the systems, dumping tanks, and not being able to take it further out helped me to decide to downsize. I do miss some of the comforts a class c offers. But, ,I enjoy the simplicity of my van so much more.

Thank you Cyndi, I was considering a van but I really want/need to have a small bathroom.  The Leisure vans are ridiculously priced and the service for them is spotty in the US because they are made in Canada.  I am following Creativity RV and she was having a horrible time with repairs, etc.  So that was the end of that thought, but I have seen some vans that I could live in.  I want my son to travel with me so we need some space.  I will keep you posted.  :)

Gr8ful said:
You have time to find a great deal on an ambulace. Pull up you tube & search for ambulance safety test & you'll never buy an RV. They come wired, insulated, more storage than you can use. Why not buy a super well maintained $250K top quality easy to drive & park, safe vehicle for next to nothing that takes almost nothing to customize, you have to take storage out. Mine gets 16+ mpg running 75mpg.
Good idea! I will look into ambulances too.  Thanks!

Don't worry so much about it, just get what you think makes the most sense to you. If you don't like it you can sell it and get something else.

Just be sure you are getting good value when you purchase so that you don't lose money when you go to resell it.