Hello Everyone am a newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino3466

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone!

Am a Newbie here, have been watching and learning.  Getting ready to retire in a couple of years (maybe sooner if I get fed up with the 9 to 5 routine), just haven't decided what type of set up (Van, Class B or Class C) so much to learn about myself, relating to RVing.  

So I have decided that I will move up from casual tent camping to renting a couple of different types of RV's and see what I have the patience and strength for in setting up regarding a mobile RV camp. 

I think I am leaning towards something, that should the need arise, I can jump into the driver seat and pull away!  Being a single lady, I think that would be the way to go.  Only time will tell! 

Thanks to Bob's dedication and the rest of you kind folks, for sharing your stories and experiences, it really does help us greenies! 

Now, if I can learn and wrap my pea brain around solar that will be the next major feat I need to accomplish!  

Safe travels, folks! 

Welcome, I'm a 2 week newbie here myself. Since I've been thinking of going full time I've wanted every Class of RV made. In all reality for myself I"m probably going to have to start with a used van. I'm wasting around $900.00 a month being stuck with paying rent and car payments. My goal is to be full time in May of 2018. After a year of RVing I can get what I want, but who knows I might love the van. I'm in agreement with Bob that less is more. Solar will be a breeze by the time you're ready. I've been watching youtube videos and it's not as daunting as it seems, and I'm sure people would be eager to help you. Welcome again!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Dino!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Renting to help figure out how to go is a great way to start. Keep in mind that if you decide to go for a Class B that it's also possible to buy an empty van and outfit it yourself for a whole lot less than the price of a good B.

Neal said:
Welcome, I'm a 2 week newbie here myself. Since I've been thinking of going full time I've wanted every Class of RV made. In all reality for myself I"m probably going to have to start with a used van. I'm wasting around $900.00 a month being stuck with paying rent and car payments. My goal is to be full time in May of 2018. After a year of RVing I can get what I want, but who knows I might love the van. I'm in agreement with Bob that less is more. Solar will be a breeze by the time you're ready. I've been watching youtube videos and it's not as daunting as it seems, and I'm sure people would be eager to help you. Welcome again!

Howdy Neal,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It is my hopes, by renting various types of RV's I will learn more about my abilities and the RV's set up requirements. 

Tent camping is so easy for me.  I only have set up my instant tent, set up my bedding, pull out one table/chair/lantern and storage container for my camp kitchen, lock down my SUV and I am off hiking or fishing.  I basically trail camp out of the back of my SUV, in only tent camp areas (no RV's allowed) can't take the loud RV parks.

In 5 yrs give or take, will sell my home, and then Escape to RV living.  In the meantime, learning more about, email, banking, the internet, insurance, etc., etc.  Looking forward to hitting the road, and discovering more about our great country.  :)

Nomadventurer said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums Dino!  

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Renting to help figure out how to go is a great way to start. Keep in mind that if you decide to go for a Class B that it's also possible to buy an empty van and outfit it yourself for a whole lot less than the price of a good B.

Good Day Nomadventurer,

You may be right about the empty van.  I just finished watching the video of Lee's Van Tour (Gedigan Waegn) and I may be in love with Nissan Vans! LOL

I have started a notebook binder, with "How to Lists" to make ready for MY conversion to RV living.  So I am learning from everyone's experiences, THANK YOU for sharing it makes a HUGE difference!

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

Let me invite you to view the links at the bottom of this post.  The first is for a simple outfitting of a used Cargo Van for Day Trips to near by big cities and for week end camping (or during the week "Seniors Discount Days Mon thru Thurs in many places).   The second (below) is a portal of handy info to use at home or in camp for planning a move, sight seeing, etc and if on the road it can be a handy reference for comforts and convenience.

You won't need much carpentry skills if you undertake it yourself,  just a few inexpensive small power tools.  If you've used patterns to sew it wont' be difficult to make a paper pattern of your Van's floor to lay out on thin ply wood to cut out with a Saber Saw.  Then this can be attached to the metal floor.  The same pattern to cut out  a suitable carpet to cover the ply wood.  The bed frame can be made out of 2x4's and ply wood.  A thin piece of carpet can cover that base for our mattress. (air or foam)   The Kitchenette can be built in a number of ways.  From Scratch if you know exactly what you want or from a used kitchen base cabinet with double doors.  Then the counter top  to your liking.   It's a basic starter Van. 

You can always visit a Lowe's and look at the bulletin board where young carpenters post looking for work.
Talk with several of them in person to get quotes if you aren't a do it yourselfer.   Stress to them that this is just basic stuff that doesn't have (except for the floor) be permanently installed and could be removed in a few minutes if needed.   You may think of this as a traveling metal tent.   I've traveled with this set up for years and always enjoy it.

If you want something better later on,  you shouldn't have much trouble selling it to another newbie.

Welcome aboard!

Very few people buy their perfect rig on the first try.
The amount of time you give yourself will probably see your final decision change many times as you learn more.
The more you learn , the more you will find to learn.
So , ask questions till you get to the pull the trigger point. And then ask more questions.

You can be one of those few!