Hello, Bob and friends!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikC

Reaction score
I found your site a few months ago while researching how to build out a van, and am only just now getting around to introducing myself.  Back in the 1980's, I lived in a van for 2 months when I suddenly became homeless in Los Angeles.  Too proud to couch surf, I took cover in my vw van until I could get back into apartment living.  Back then it was too far a leap to make van life a comfortable reality, and especially not in the big city.  So, I paid my rent and worked my job and built my reasonably happy life, like most everyone else.
     Well, jump forward almost 4 decades, I've recently retired, and still long to take that always-dreamed-about cross-country year-long road trip, hitting all the historic sites and visiting old friends along the way.  Except for a few trips to NY and Chicago, and my excursions up and down the west coast, I really haven't seen much of North America.  So my next adventure awaits while I prepare myself to live with my dog, up to a year, out of a van.  Cutting out hotel expenses will allow for a nice gas budget -- and what better way to experience my travels, than to plot my own course as I circumnavigate this country.  
     So here I am, ready to diligently research the best possible van for my money and my needs.  I might be quiet while taking in the knowledge you all share in this forum, and not say much.  But, I'm really grateful to have a place where I can ask questions and meet people with valuable experience and insights.  Thank you kindly, Mik

Hiya Mik and welcome! Best of luck with everything.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Mik! Traveling in a van or RV truely is the best way to experience all the adventures that our country has to offer. It's a great way to visit old friends too!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

MikC said:
     Well, jump forward almost 4 decades, I've recently retired, and still long to take that always-dreamed-about cross-country year-long road trip, hitting all the historic sites and visiting old friends along the way.  Except for a few trips to NY and Chicago, and my excursions up and down the west coast, I really haven't seen much of North America.  So my next adventure awaits while I prepare myself to live with my dog, up to a year, out of a van.  Cutting out hotel expenses will allow for a nice gas budget -- and what better way to experience my travels, than to plot my own course as I circumnavigate this country.  
     So here I am, ready to diligently research the best possible van for my money and my needs.  

Welcome! You have the time, now might be a good time to get on it! Life is too short!!

As to the van. I have no idea about your budget but I'd think used, the latest year with the lowest mileage you can afford.  My ballpark figure is 250k miles is the worn out mark for newer (85 & later) vehicles.  
You have time to do some research but keep in mind that it does not have to be fancy.. it can but it doesn't have to be. 

Bob Wells' old web site had a lot of basic info on it (cheaprvliving.com) and was always a place I'd send someone thinking about this. 

My main point is that if you're serious, it's not hard, you just have to start and life is too short to sit around waiting for something to happen.

See you on the road!

becida said:
Bob Wells' old web site had a lot of basic info on it (cheaprvliving.com) and was always a place I'd send someone thinking about this. 

I just noticed that at the top of this page you can find all of Bob's links to answers about getting started... so you don't have to go anywhere to start some research!

Wow, thanks for the tips and encouragement! I didn't mention that I had bought a '92 chevy van that had been emptied of the back seats, carpet and paneling, in December. With visions of interior design dancing in my head, I paid a ridiculous price, $3.5K, on the belief that it only needed minor electical repairs and that by the time I finished building it out, I'd get the outlay back by selling my honda crv. It has 255K miles on it and I've since learned that it's a real lemon. I got one estimate by a reputable shop that listed almost $6K in repairs. Another shop thought that was overkill and I could eliminate at least $1.5 - 2K of what the first shop quoted. On top of that I just found out the guy had put the wrong size tires on it. I really wish I had found this site earlier and watched all the videos, especially the one where Bob advises to start by finding a van with the lowest miles.
So my big decision now is: 1) I can sell it at a steep loss (hopefully to a mechanic), consider it a hard lesson and move on to a better purchase or, 2) I can try to make it work (it does have a recently overhauled transmission going for it, as well as a new catalytic converter), but the investment is steep and there may be more wrong once the work starts (I'm questioning the head gasket now, as there is a lot of white smoke when it starts up that seems to take a long time to burn off, even accounting for the cold mornings).
I've gotten over my anger at the seller, and I'm done with the self-recrimination for being so stupid. At this point I'm open to suggestions by anyone who has expererience with older vans. This hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for the journey; but it has opened my eyes. Thanks for any suggestions.

MikC said:
  At this point I'm open to suggestions by anyone who has expererience with older vans.  This hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for the journey; but it has opened my eyes.  Thanks for any suggestions.

So much depends on what you have to spend... but if you're going to have to pay someone shop rate to work on it and it has over 250k....
Cut your losses & start over.

My advice to myself the last time I went looking for a van...

'96 or newer (OBD2)
3/4 ton or better 
the lowest mileage, newest van I could afford
It HAS to be able to just go when I buy it.  (Can I head out to Quartzsite right now? That kinda van!) 

I don't mind having to buy tires, they wear out, I do understand that but if I need to do that I price them & put that figure in the total that I'm going to spend. The same for hoses & belts & fluids. If it could use brakes (NOTICE the word is "use" not "need") then I add that into what I'm going to have to spend.

Get the fluids changed and have fun!

As a side note - if you pull the seats, put a mattress on the floor (a walmart inflatable works), get a lawn chair & a TV tray you have a home! Secondhand store blankets to cover the windows, a single burner stove & a pot for coffee water and you're set! 

Paying a shop $100 and hour can make any vehicle an expensive one... and do it fast

Thanks for your reply Becida, and Rob; It gives me a big smile to read your sense of freedom: just throw a mattress, a lawn chair and a tv tray into the cargo hold, hang up some old blankets over the windows and take off for adventure. And don't forget the coffee pot and single burner stove - lol! That's kind of how I plan to do it, but I've also got a big shepherd dog to keep with me, so we'll need a little bit of space management.

I will have to learn about OBD2. Just from googleing it I see how onboard diagnostics can save a buyer from a bad deal. So thanks for that tip. After doing better research on engines, I can see why you prefer a 1996 or later; the fuel efficiency was improved greatly by that year with multi point injection, over throttle body injection.

I agree that I should cut my losses. I will have to get the rear brakes fixed before I can pass it on to anyone else. It stops ok, but only on the strength of the front brakes, and I wouldn't dream of selling a vehicle with faulty brakes - especially one as big and heavy as this is. (Estiimate $365)

I already had the cooling system flushed the first day and it doesn't look like I'll need a new radiator as was estimated by the first shop. Changed the oil on the second day after I took ownership, at which it was confirmed the oil pan gasket is leaking. So I should get that replaced. (Estiimate $260) While it's in the shop for that, I should get the differential serviced. (Estiimate $275). After that, I can at least drive it without immediate worries and have some fun with it. Then I'd address the other issues, only as they become an immediate concern, and I might get better prices locally in Oakland, than the estimates in San Francisco, where I bought the van.

If I can use it for a season of camping trips, maybe a trip to L.A. or Portland, I won't feel so ripped off. Really don't mean to whine; I know I'm not the first person to buy a lemon. But when I pass it on to the next owner, I'll be clear about it's condition. I'll find the right van out there that's road worthy enough to go across country. Meanwhile, I've set up a tent in the living room with the area dimensions of the cargo cabin where I'm building up a cozy living space. 6'x10' is plenty of room even with the dog's 36x40 bed.

MikC said:
         I will have to learn about OBD2. Just from googleing it I see how onboard diagnostics can save a buyer from a bad deal.

The OBD2 is more for when I get a problem, it makes troubleshooting things simpler for me...

Get it ready and go for it!