Hello and thank you!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo_mccoy

Reaction score
For my first post I wanted to say thanks to everyone in this community. I could not have finished my build without the wealth of information you have all shared so freely.

I've only been on the road for a month now, but I look forward to giving back to the community once I gain some more experience.

80.jpg

Here's a link to my build log.

Attachments

• 80.jpg
    80.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Welcome to the club! Pictures please! Or is doesn't exist, haha!

Niiice. Looks so white and shiny! Is that a Yakima mega warrior basket on top?

Woo-Hoo!!

Nice rig, and welcome to the forum!!

Where are ya from??? Whaddaya do??

Hello from Oregon!!

First of all, Welcome!

I read your build post. You say your batteries seem to be losing their ability to hold a charge? And you've never let it get below 11 volts?

I hate to break this to you, but a battery reading of 11.9 volts is considered a battery with only 20% of it's charge left. A battery reading of 11.8 is considered a totally dead battery.

You shouldn't let a deep cycle battery go below 50%, which should roughly - VERY roughly - be 12.2 volts.

You can see from those numbers that you need to use a very accurate digital meter. Forget those analog voltmeters with needles. They won't tell you a damn thing.

I suggest you start a new thread down in the Electrical: Batteries, Generators, & Solar sub-forum. Post your pictures there, ask your questions. Pay particular attention to anything Br'er Sternwake has to say. That man knows what he's talking about.

Regards
John

pseudo_mccoy said:
For my first post I wanted to say thanks to everyone in this community. I could not have finished my build without the wealth of information you have all shared so freely.

I've only been on the road for a month now, but I look forward to giving back to the community once I gain some more experience.

Here's a link to my build log.

Hi there McCoy!
For having no experience you did a great job. Looks like you have the regular body length. I have 2500 reg length and I'm still working on finishing it.
I bought a fantastic vent, yet to be installed. I've seen people on YouTube installing it (cutting) from the outside. But now that you mentioned it, I'll ask the good people here what experience they have with cutting a hole for the fan.
Where's the bed? Do you sleep in it?

You write: "Naturally stealthy in Michigan winters." Do you really think it will be satistfactory in Michigan winters? Some people here would move to warmer climates then.

caseyc said:
Niiice. Looks so white and shiny! Is that a Yakima mega warrior basket on top?

Thank's. Yeah she's pretty.. in a certain light. And no, the basket is from Surco. Much cheaper than Yakima.

Patrick46 said:
Woo-Hoo!!

Nice rig, and welcome to the forum!!

Where are ya from??? Whaddaya do??

Hello from Oregon!!

Thanks man! : D I grew up moving around a lot and I haven't exactly thrown down any roots. If I had to pick a state I'd be North Carolina. Right now, I'm just rolling around the east coast and finishing up an online degree program.

I think I'll eventually be going through Oregon on my way back to California. That's one state I've not spent much time in but it looks awesome.

loboone said:
nice build, great job with the pics.

Thanks. All shots were taken with a Nexus 5.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
First of all, Welcome!

I read your build post. You say your batteries seem to be losing their ability to hold a charge? And you've never let it get below 11 volts?

I hate to break this to you, but a battery reading of 11.9 volts is considered a battery with only 20% of it's charge left. A battery reading of 11.8 is considered a totally dead battery.

You shouldn't let a deep cycle battery go below 50%, which should roughly - VERY roughly - be 12.2 volts.

You can see from those numbers that you need to use a very accurate digital meter. Forget those analog voltmeters with needles. They won't tell you a damn thing.

I suggest you start a new thread down in the Electrical: Batteries, Generators, & Solar sub-forum. Post your pictures there, ask your questions. Pay particular attention to anything Br'er Sternwake has to say. That man knows what he's talking about.

Regards
John

Hi John,

Thank you. I'm happy to be here with fellow travelers.

As for the batteries, I'm going to take your advice and head over to the electrical subforum tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for Sternwake. I remember someone on here saying to buy cheap batteries the first time around because every noob ends up ruining them. I thought, “No, I got this. I'll be careful.” Well, maybe not. It's strange because I asked the battery company for detailed info and all they would tell me is that it's best to keep em above 10v. For what it's worth, I have screen shots of the chat session with their support agent because I was afraid this would happen.

I'll post more details in the subforum later.

Thanks again.

Luisafernandes said:
Hi there McCoy!
For having no experience you did a great job. Looks like you have the regular body length. I have 2500 reg length and I'm still working on finishing it.
I bought a fantastic vent, yet to be installed. I've seen people on YouTube installing it (cutting) from the outside. But now that you mentioned it, I'll ask the good people here what experience they have with cutting a hole for the fan.
Where's the bed? Do you sleep in it?

Hi Luis!
Thanks, it's sure been a learning experience. And yup, I suppose it is regular length. Have you started a thread on your build?

I'm very happy with the Fantastic Vent. I think the concern over which direction to cut from has to do with the paint job, but I'm really not sure. It might not even be a big deal. I've had no problems.

I sleep on a cot that I keep stowed above the left wheel well. It's large for a cot but it fits perfectly in my layout. If you're interested it's called an Easy Cot and it's made by a company called Byer of Maine. I'd recommend it.

PastTense said:
You write: "Naturally stealthy in Michigan winters." Do you really think it will be satistfactory in Michigan winters? Some people here would move to warmer climates then.

I built it in Michigan and lived in it part time during the winter. My Big Buddy heater kept be toasty. And yeah, I'm totally down with moving to where it's nice.