Hello and a Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rondaj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just want to say hello and to also ask a question.  I have been a follower of this site for a while (and others … Suanne, Interstellar Orchard, RV Sue) and have read Bob’s book and watched Without Bound, all of which are extremely inspiring.  Yay!

I am currently in the market for the right vehicle for me for some long term traveling.  I am leaning towards a van although a 4wd with Bel-Air type camper shell is also appealing.  Decisions.  Whichever one I end up getting I’ll want a modest build out – insulation, lightweight wood ceiling and walls, vinyl or linoleum flooring, wiring, LED lights, AGM batteries, inverter/converter, solar, Fantastic Fan with rain sensor, refrigerator.  I have been an outdoor enthusiast for many years and have accumulated quite an assortment of gear over the years, so will use what I already have for the time being for cooking, sleeping, showering, bathroom, etc.  

My partner, Bill, and I moved from Charlotte, NC to Hillsboro, OR (Portland area) in March for his job.  Our house in Charlotte was in an old quiet neighborhood on a cul-de-sac with woods, trails, and lots of wildlife.  We now live in a tiny too expensive apartment in a very busy area with constant noise, crazy traffic, other apartment dwellers, and very little of anything natural.  Bill loves his job, works in downtown PDX, takes the MAX to and from work every day, enjoys the crowds etc. and isn’t planning on retirement for another 5-7 years.  I took early retirement a couple of years ago and I love being out in nature and on the road exploring.  We have explored all over the East Coast backpacking, hiking, biking and sea kayaking.  Since moving here in March I have already bought a new set of tires and put an additional 8,000 miles on my Subaru Forester just in Oregon and Washington.  So much to see!

I (and we when Bill joins me) sleep in the back of the Forester quite comfortably by pushing the front seats all the way up, then filling in the gap with coolers and then our air mattresses on top etc.  I cut out Reflectix and screens for the windows and bought a DAC Explorer 2 tent that we use when we aren’t stealth camping.   I also tow my SPACE trailer when we need extra storage for bikes and kayaks, etc.  Attached are a couple of photos at a Forest Service campground along the North Santiam River.  The Forester has worked out well for us for short duration trips, but now it’s time to upgrade to something larger.  

All that said, can anyone recommend someone in the Portland area that I could hire to help me with the build out?   I took a basic construction skills class in early 2014, so I have basic skills, but I need a mentor that also has tools and a place to do the work.   I’m very much looking forward to being hands on with the project.

Thanks for any input, and I (and maybe we) hope to join you guys at the January RTR!

Ronda  

View attachment 4131

My photos didn't attach the first time so trying again...

Riverside Campground 2 (640x309).jpg

DAC Explorer (640x360).jpg

Attachments

• Riverside Campground 2 (640x309).jpg
    Riverside Campground 2 (640x309).jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DAC Explorer (640x360).jpg
    DAC Explorer (640x360).jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 16
rondaj said:
Hi everyone,

I just want to say hello and to also ask a question.  I have been a follower of this site for a while (and others … Suanne, Interstellar Orchard, RV Sue) and have read Bob’s book and watched Without Bound, all of which are extremely inspiring.  Yay!

All that said, can anyone recommend someone in the Portland area that I could hire to help me with the build out?   I took a basic construction skills class in early 2014, so I have basic skills, but I need a mentor that also has tools and a place to do the work.   I’m very much looking forward to being hands on with the project.

Thanks for any input, and I (and maybe we) hope to join you guys at the January RTR!

Ronda  

Welcome to the forum - as I'm sure you've already noticed we're quite the friendly bunch... :)

I'm doing the complete build of my interior with only two power tools - a jig saw and a drill.  It CAN be done! There's no need for a bunch of fancy tools. A second set of hands would have come in handy a few times but so far I've managed except for hiring a neighborhood teen for a half hour to do a job my old arthritic hands didn't do so well at.

We do good mentoring right here on line.... :D

To tell you the truth you might have trouble finding someone to help unless you can hire a carpentry student from a local trade school. A licensed carpenter is likely going to be pricey and most don't have any experience with building an interior in a van which is completely different from building either houses or cabinets. And hey, most all of the carpenters I know would want to run the job instead of being a helper... :rolleyes: That's why my brother hasn't even seen the inside of mine - he runs his own carpentry business!!

Sure hope you can make the RTR!

hi and welcome. it's been many years since I hung out in Portland, I really don't have any contacts left there. all my contacts are in eastern OR now. anyhoo welcome to the greatest forum on earth and good luck. keep us up to date. highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL forums rondaj! Obviously you've put a lot of thought and research into how you want to outfit your long term traveling vehicle. I think that you should just start the build on your own once you get your van. None of it is hard to do and there are many knowledgeable people on the forums ready to help if you have any problems. Good luck with your decisions. Hope to see you at the RTR!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum RondaJ.

You certainly have given a lot of thought to your build, it's fun isn't it? One thing raised a flag when I read your post .....the fan with a rain sensor - Not too long ago my husband and I were sitting in the van in the middle of rainy hot afternoon. The fan and windows were closed, the inside of the van was very hot and humid. It was uncomfortable and not pleasant at all. So shortly after that we installed a cover over the fan. This way the fan still works it's magic even in the rain. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Ve...40158011&sr=1-12&keywords=fantastic+fan+cover Now we always leave the fan trap opened to eliminate condensation during the Florida rainy season. So far so good. Since it's raining a lot in the north/west maybe you could benefit from this trick.

Enjoy your new area and van.

Nicole

Thank you all for the warm greetings and excellent ideas!  I am very excited about getting on the road longer term and ready to get this project started.   :D

Happy travels this weekend!

Ronda