Hello again: looking at used vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Some of you may remember me from my aborted attempt to live out of a Civic + tent last year.

Life got in the way of that, but the good news is I've saved up a fair chunk of change since then, and I've decided to go whole hog and buy + convert a van. I have help from a master woodworker (and access to their workshop) as well as a solar setup already ready to go. Just need the vehicle.

Let's call my budget $10k, but I'd like to hang onto some of it for savings and to be able to coast for a while without working again, so something at $5-7k would be great for me. High top would be good but is not a requirement. With these parameters in mind, I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for model and year. Right now I am looking at Fords and Chevys from the early 2000s. I may post some craigslist listings which I would be eternally grateful for people looking over as well.

I'm also not averse to a truck camper or class B RV, but it seems like a van is a more affordable option given that I am willing (and happy to) do the conversion work myself. Thoughts?

besides what state. what is it you want the van to do? city stealth or rural boondocking? highdesertranger

I'm in Houston, Texas

highdesertranger said:
besides what state.  what is it you want the van to do?  city stealth or rural boondocking?  highdesertranger

Planning on mostly staying on BLM land.

Gary68 said:
whats your mechanical ability?

Enthusiastic beginner. I'm willing to learn and have access to tools but major projects are probably beyond me at this point

Muddy, your description of who you are and what you want sounds like me. I pay close attention to all these "what do you think of this van" threads and greatly appreciate those knowledgable folks who contribute to them.

After tons of research I bought a GMC van.  I was a Ford fan for decades. Not anymore.  I suggest that you consider avoiding the Fords in the years that you are thinking of and run screaming from Dodge vans from that era.  The exception would be if you found a well maintained, with documentation, Ford that had the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel.  Ford dropped that motor in 2003 and replaced it with a long series of problematic diesels.

From my initial introduction post on these forums:

I can offer my help in automotive diagnostic, emissions and driveability.  I took the Calif. Smog license course to better hone my already deep focus on diagnostics.  Never sought to be a paid smog tech.  Please don't ask me to lay hands on your vehicle.  Advice is what I'm offering.

Thanks guys, that was the impression I had gotten. Strangely don't seem to be many GMCs around here but I have been looking at the Chevy Express. On the off chance I go for a newer van, is there a year I should expand my search to Fords at?

muddy said:
Thanks guys, that was the impression I had gotten. Strangely don't seem to be many GMCs around here but I have been looking at the Chevy Express. On the off chance I go for a newer van, is there a year I should expand my search to Fords at?

Don't worry about it, the GMC Savana and the Chevy Express come off the same production line.

Someone stands at the end of the line with the logos in hand going 'chevy, chevy, gmc, chevy..... :D :D :p

One other thought I had: here in Houston we had some pretty nasty rains this year and there are probably a lot of flood cars out on the market...I assume that rust/mold would be much easier to spot in the interior of a van than in a normal car, but maybe not. Any red flags I should look out for in that regard?

muddy said:

I would for sure not get a newer Ford van.  The drive-lines and aerodynamics are inferior to the GM full size vans.
The Ford vans got an update in 1992 the Express/Savana vans were a new platform in 1996. 

Penske sells the GMC Savana vans.   I got a got a good deal on a 2012 G3500 one ton extended Savana cargo van with the six speed trans and 4.8L L20 engine from Penske.  Very good performance, ride, handling, braking and mileage.  The 4.8L engine has more than adequate power when a skilled driver takes advantage of the manual mode shifting of the six speed trans.  The six speed trans was introduced to the GM vans in 2010 and by that time the bugs had been worked out of it in the previous years of use in the GM truck line.

Nice tip on the Penske vans. For some reason the only vehicles available in the state of TX at the moment are two used Sprinters, but I will add it to my internet "rounds."

Anyone have any strong feelings about this van? '02 Chevy Express. Thinking about taking a serious look at it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5719190969.html

muddy said:
Nice tip on the Penske vans. For some reason the only vehicles available in the state of TX at the moment are two used Sprinters, but I will add it to my internet "rounds."

Anyone have any strong feelings about this van? '02 Chevy Express. Thinking about taking a serious look at it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5719190969.html

I have the equivalent in the GMC logo and I'm very happy with it. For comparison sake, I bought it in Sept 2014 with 62,000 miles on it, complete with the 24" fiberglass high top. Mine had original (very scary!) tires on it but other than that it needed little TLC. I paid $3,500 Cdn for it but I kinda figure I stole the thing.... :D

The one you're looking at looks like it's been beat up a bit - small dents all over the body, torn upholstery etc.

I'd say it's worth looking at but a bit overpriced IMO, maybe not for the market though, I don't know.

-

Yeah it's actually been posted several times, maybe he'll be ready to go down on the price a little by now...

I'm always skeptical of used car lots.  Even more so if they make the claim that a rig was well maintained.  I'd ask to see the proof of it being well maintained...

As a former car lot employee I would be very leery of anything they call a CASH ONLY SPECIAL
Usually that means HAS PROBLEMS WE DON'T WANT TO FIX
I have, however, scored on those a time or three

Alright, been a few weeks since I have been able to seriously look at vehicles. Finished up my contract and I have a bit more cash on hand now, and plenty of free time. I test drove a few this week but nothing stuck out to me.

2001 Chevy Express - 75k - $9k

Any strong feelings about this van?

From what I have been reading the 4.8 V8 is a better van motor than the 4.6 V6. The gas milage is within 1 mpg between the two and the V8 has more power.