Helena MT -Walmart

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanontheroad

Reaction score
We are here. I have never seen such a casual attitude in a Walmart lot. Unhooked trailers, levelled, with wheels chocked. They obviously don't move. Bicycles, animal cages, laundry baskets, lawn chairs. It looks like a campground. We would not have dared to do this for fear of the manager running us off.

Talked to one of our Walmart neighbors. He says they will allow you to stay for up to 2 weeks as long as you are quiet and stay out of the way. He has even stayed longer by changing spaces. I did not have a chance to confirm that, but it does look like it is true.

sounds kinda ghetto, are you enjoying this? true it's a short hop to the candy shop. Free isn't always free, Not sure if i could stay 2 weeks in a Wally lot but if you need a place to just stop for free,,,,,,

This sounds like a potentially bad situation brewing...much like what happened to Van-Tramp.

Someone's gonna abuse this Walmart's Welcome mat, and that'll end it for EVERYBODY!!!

Big suprise, huh?? (and once again...the vandwellers will get yet 'another' bad rep.)

(I almost think I'd talk to management in the store before the SHTF)

It was that way in Helena when I was there over 2 months ago. Seedy old 5'er unhooked, panhandlers w/pitbulls going in and out,etc. A couple of years back I talked to a guy in a Washington WM who had been there for 3 months with no problems. In Ft.Collins there was a guy who stayed for 1-1/2 years with like 7 or 8 dogs in his MH. There is just quite a variance in what you will see allowed at WM locations around the country.

slow2day said:
It was that way in Helena when I was there over 2 months ago. Seedy old 5'er unhooked, panhandlers w/pitbulls going in and out,etc. A couple of years back I talked to a guy in a Washington WM who had been there for 3 months with no problems. In Ft.Collins there was a guy who stayed for 1-1/2 years with like 7 or 8 dogs in his MH. There is just quite a variance in what you will see allowed at WM locations around the country.

I guess they want to sell dog food real bad

We only stayed the one night. Wolf was tired and sore from driving. Don't think I would have stayed a second night. Woke up once with someone having a loud argument. Woke up again with what sounded like chains being dragged on the pavements behind our car. The dog woke me up a third time. All quiet, but I saw a man standing by our car. He left when he realized I was watching him. Not a place you want to sleep naked. You want to be able to make your presence known if you have to.

BTW, I am told that here in MT, you can pretty much pull off any dirt side road and stay the nite without being pestered. Will probably never find out, personally. Wouldn't like to get stuck with this pig or try to turn it around. Too many places where we can't get internet to get help.