Heating when you can't afford a Mr. Buddy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrayWhale said:
How about using a $15 propane camp stove for heating.
some are better at turning down to very low than others, google the model with keyword 'simmer'

This greatly helps increase radiant heat

s-l400.jpg

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Camp...rared-Heating-Barbecue-BBQ-Cover/111913971437

And never without ventilation!

I've got a tiny, seriously tiny, cast iron fry pan. Working on making some sort of cover for it so I can heat it up and slip it into the bed to help keep my feet warm. The pioneers used flatirons wrapped in flannel for this, so I'm thinking I can adapt a pan to work.

Brew a cup of hot cocoa or decaf coffee, it will warm up the interior and your insides. If you are warmed up well before you get under the blankets it helps a lot.

I had a Little Buddy heater several years ago but it has several drawbacks. First the shape is not optimal for use with a bulk tank. Second the regulator diaphragm sprang a leak after several months of use resulting in a fire inside the plastic housing that melted it. After the thing caught on fire I checked the price of a new regulator but it was almost as much as a new heater, and the melted plastic would also need to be replaced.

Never had a problem with the little Chinese heater but it doesn't have some of the safety features of the Buddy. There is no pilot light and thermocouple so if somehow a draft were to blow out the heater, the propane would keep flowing. There is no tip over shut off switch. There is no low oxygen protection (which is accomplished by the special pilot jet design on the Buddy heaters). Also the supplied propane hose fitting is for a pretty large diameter hose and it sticks directly out the front which can get in the way. I modified the connector so it turns 90 degrees.

Almost There said:
Where in AZ are you planning on spending the winter?

You are so right! I lived at 8k ft in AZ mtns before moving to NM. Have driven every route back and forth NM-AZ since then. Got caught in one of the scariest snowstorm drives of my life heading back from Tucson into Flagstaff at dusk. We were lucky to survive.

Have never been to Q before, so it will be new territory to explore.  :shy:

GypsySpirit said:
I've got a tiny, seriously tiny, cast iron fry pan.  Working on making some sort of cover for it so I can heat it up and slip it into the bed to help keep my feet warm.  The pioneers used flatirons wrapped in flannel for this, so I'm thinking I can adapt a pan to work.

Years ago I lived on a 300 acre farm in the Finger Lakes of NY. Got pretty darn cold there in the winter. We used to heat bricks in the huge Swedish coal burning stove, wrap them in towels to place at the end of our beds. Toasty!

John61CT said:
Tarps are completely different from space blanket or reflectix materials.

These are actually large heavy camping tarps with grommets made out of that silver heat reflective stuff. As for wool, I live in it. Got a night time merino (non itch) wardrobe and wool blankets as well as sleeping bags.

I even wear white feather weight merino in the summer at 7k altitude, high temps. Moisture wicking, non itch, machine wash warm, dries fast. Great stuff. Socks, undies, gloves, hats, head to toe merino wool :shy: 

For van dwellers, get this, it is anti microbial, that means NO ODOR. Can wear without washing for quite a while.

This thread blew up while I didn't have access to the web. Hope you've all been warm this winter.

My solution was incremental. I found a Coleman single burner stove - like Bob's at the thrift store for $5. It produced plenty of heat as advertised but I haven't used it as a proper heater yet since I didn't have money to get a propane tank. I will be buying that today and will report back.

Plan is to put a flowerpot over it in heating mode to get some radiant heat and a bit of open flame safety.

d6ecf49ef982b6d98417f88c833213c4.jpg

A $20 synthetic down comforter was enough to be warm in bed. I may look into thermals or warm gear for at home living at some point - maybe thin gloves so I can relax at home after dark and not just shiver.

If this doesn't work I may look into small kerosene heaters but I'm confident about the propane.

be careful with flower pots, if you don't know what they are made of. any from Asia I would be wary of. highdesertranger

That's a moderate amount of jingoism but okay. A basic Terra Cotta pot which I am using will be fine regardless of origin.

I can confirm it works quite well. First time in 3 months I've been able to sit at home without my hoodie on.

My only addition will probably a vent pipe that sucks hot air from the ceiling down to the floor. Definitely not enough circulation with just a fan running: ceiling is far warmer than the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't done it myself but many say: Get a CLEAN, UNUSED & non-lined (no plastic coating, etc) paint can. Take the cardboard tube out of a roll of tissue.  Put it in the can. Fill w/rubbing alcohol  (70-90%) until the tissue doesn't soak up any more  (if it seems over-filled,  that's O.K.). You are actually burning the alcohol,  not the tissue! Not much odor. To kill it, just slide can cover over flames, DON'T try to blow out! You can also place this in something larger & metal for safety. I'm going to try it. It's all over youtube, o'course!

Gotta watch out for whatever fumes are coming off isopropyl alcohol in enclosed space. Alcohol flames can be invisible and spilling could be disastrous.

Denatured alcohol is much cleaner-burning. Isopropyl produces a lot of smoke and soot.

Having a large open flame in the van is not really a great idea though......

lenny flank said:
Denatured alcohol is much cleaner-burning. Isopropyl produces a lot of smoke and soot . . .

• Burning isopropyl alcohol in open air: 2 C3H7OH + 9 O2 --> 6 CO2 + 8 H2O
  • Burning ethyl alcohol in open air: C2H5OH + 3O2 --> 2 CO2 + 3 H2O
  • Denatured alcohol (aka methylated spirits) is ethyl alcohol with toxins added to keep you from getting drunk without paying the government.  The type of toxin and amount varies by manufacturer, but it will not burn as clean as pure alcohol.
  • Methyl alcohol (CH3OH, aka wood spirits) is poisonous, can be absorbed through the skin, and can produce breathable toxins when burned.  It is one of the toxins added to ethyl alcohol to make it undrinkable.
All the alcohols burn with an almost invisible flame and exhaust.  If isopropyl alcohol is creating soot it has been contaminated with something.

Your TP and alcohol in a can heater will smoke like crazy when the alcohol runs out.

Spaceman Spiff said:
All the alcohols burn with an almost invisible flame and exhaust.  If isopropyl alcohol is creating soot it has been contaminated with something.

"Rubbing alcohol" = 90-70% alcohol.