Heating when you can't afford a Mr. Buddy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinaTomato said:
Anyone heard of the idea of changing one's consciousness to stay warm? There's an article in Popular Science that mentions a study that found Tibetan nuns can change their core body temperature by up to almost 101 degrees F with a certain type of mediation called "g-tummo".

That, and some wool socks and you're all set!  :D

Glad to see Popular Science got on board. Shirley MacLaine used that technique on a journey to some freezing ars-
land and it worked. I'm bringing my hot water bottle, cast iron pan, and volcanic rocks just in case I don't have the technique down.  :rolleyes:

Nobody mentioned snuggling up with someone, or a fur baby? Of course that might end up breaking the $90 budget either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdog1 said:
Nobody mentioned snuggling up with someone, or a fur baby?  
Of course that might end up breaking the $90 budget either way. 
in 12 pages, no one mentioned any of these 4 possibilities ?

Annie W said:
in 12 pages, no one mentioned any of these 4 possibilities ?
I do recall a couple posts mentioning using a furry friend (dog?) or non-furry companion ;)

Like others, my take in our non-heated van1 and now van2 is the camp stove (in our case a 15K BTU portable single burner) and i'm in my SelkBag to be cozy and hang around camp (yes i look like a displaced snowboarder, but i'm comfy!)

Thom

When I was at the recent RTR there was only 1 very cold night that I was really uncomfortable in my minivan out of the 4 nights I was there.

I am striking out soon into the vandweller life, and am purchasing these booties (indoor/outdoor) even though we're heading into spring/summer weather.
Wish I'd had them at the RTR:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY7XIU...olid=2R3ER7YKK3M3N&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I already had some Dakine gloves that are awesome (they have thin inside liner gloves that are detachable).
Well worth the money: https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/snow/gloves-mitts/titan-glove/?source=search

I realize these are kind of costly, but they are more versatile than spending the same amount on an indoor heater.
Other than these, I was fine with a hat and a few thick plush blankets in the desert in January.

DesertRose said:
I am striking out soon into the vandweller life, and am purchasing these booties (indoor/outdoor) even though we're heading into spring/summer weather.
Wish I'd had them at the RTR:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY7XIU...olid=2R3ER7YKK3M3N&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Glad these worked for you. I got the brand CVRL recommended: Baffin Booties. He said he did not know why they worked so well, but they were the best he tried. When the box arrived it said Expedition Booties for Basecamp. They use these at high altitude in tents overnight before climbing further. With a thick pair of wool socks they are amazing. 

A diabetic friend got cold feet real bad even in his heated house. Not since his Baffin Booties arrived. Thanks, Bob!!

Anyone have a reasonably priced version of the Ugg style sheepskins, wool on the inside ones?

Or the scandinavian inch-thick felt style?

For inside mostly, not thick soled.

I prefer to avoid synthetic materials as much as possible.

> Would you ever approach a little lamb, slit his throat, peel off his skin, wrap it around your feet, and then proceed to carry out your daily routine, knowing that he suffered and died for your look?

Not for "my look", Uggs are butt ugly!

But for warm toes? Yes, yes I would.

Still looking for reasonably priced ones without synthetics except maybe where I wouldn't feel or hear them.

TIA

After you've skinned the lamb, can I have the rest to make shawarma with...?

:)

What was a simple question posted by the original poster has since turned into a very interesting conversation on keeping warm in a van. I for one am not thrilled with turning on my Buddy heater in the incredibly tight confines or a van, so I went with one of the most low tech solutions of all:

A good down jacket and sleeping bag.

I just invested in a good down jacket. I mean good, and I mean invested because it was not cheap. It has 7.8 oz of 850+ down fill. That's a LOT of down and an incredible warmth to weight ratio. I could van dwell in the Canadian Yukon Territory with this jacket. Or go on a polar expedition. It's my "when shit hits the fan and I'm stuck at 10,000 feet and there's a blizzard rolling in and my van has a flat tire, I won't die" jacket. It looks like the Michelin Man became a sumo wrestler.

So alas, I will drag around my Buddy heater for the remainder of the year, and will most likely give it away at the RTR 2019. If anyone wants it, just look for the little woman who looks like a green Michelin Man/sumo wrestler on a cold winter morn.

waldenbound said:
I just invested in a good down jacket. I mean good, and I mean invested because it was not cheap. It has 7.8 oz of 850+ down fill. That's a LOT of down and an incredible warmth to weight ratio. I could van dwell in the Canadian Yukon Territory  with this jacket. 

That jacket is on my "wish list!" 850 plus down is the best.

^ Kathleen, I got the Feathered Friends Hooded Helios jacket. It will be a good souvenir of my time in Seattle. Another good use for a jacket like this, I like astronomy and winter sky has the most interesting sights. If I'm at even Tonopah, 6,000 feet, yeah I will need a jacket like this.

waldenbound said:
^ Kathleen, I got the Feathered Friends Hooded Helios jacket. It will be a good souvenir of my time in Seattle. Another good use for a jacket like this, I like astronomy and winter sky has the most interesting sights. 

I have a lighter weight down jacket for van wear, with layers of merino wool head to toe. Non itch, machine wash, anti-microbial. Layered for temp changes.

For outdoors, I wear a high quality waterproof windbreaker hooded jacket. Makes the lightweight down much warmer and keeps it dry. 

Night skies and astronomy are great activities for van dwellers as they travel!

Latest posts