Heating solutions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frankly buying a wrench from China is one thing, if it fails it's no big deal. but for something that could cost me my life if it malfunctions is a whole different story. obviously a lot of people have a lot more faith in Chinese quality that I do.

also I always recommend for a person to have quality sleeping bags/bedding to keep you warm and comfortable without any outside heat source. In other words don't stake your life on artificial heat.

highdesertranger

If it's just for when you're sleeping, try a bivy over your bed to trap your body heat.

It's like having a small pup tent inside the van. A sleeping bag would be good, or a mattress with wool blankets (to me, they're warmer than acrylic and other synthetics). Look for them at thrift shops like Goodwill.

For the bivy, maybe stretch a cord or rope over your bed, and put another wool blanket over it to form the tent, preferably a queen or king size. Clip the ends together with clothes pins.

bullfrog said:
He only has 50 ah useable and no mention of any ancillary charging. Anything with a fan or pump is gonna kill the battery over night I believe.

My Propex vented heater draws 1.9 amps when the fan is on.  Since the fan only runs 10 minutes per hour on a cold night, the amp draw would be 80 minutes, or roughly 2 1/2 amps for 8 hours of use.

Even if it ran ALL 8 HOURS it would use less than 16 amps, well within the allotted 50 AH.

Safe, clean, quiet and thermostatically controlled heat.   3 years of use and zero problems.

bullfrog said:
Maybe someone that has used a 12 volt mattress heater will give some input but there is a thread if you search.
I bought a 12v heated blanket and tested it out for one night. If going the route of a heated blanket i suggest one with a thermostat to shut it off. Mine does not have and it drained my battery badly. Ofc I could have just shut it off but I was enjoying the warmth and assumed the electrical draw was minimal..boy howdy was I surprised when the battery was down to 11.9  yikes!

I have also subsequently read/heard that a heated mattress pad is better than a blanket... I think for now I will forego the electical heating pads/blankets until I have a much more substantial power source.

I am currently using shore power for an electric heater. I am likely not going to be leaving the Idaho/ Wa border until closer to Feb.. and so I am getting the full on experience of a inland NW winter inside the van. I do also have a journey 3 catalytic heater which is pretty nifty but not nearly as convenient as electricity

Last night it was 22 and the day before was 20 outside...brrr...

I did a not so perfect job of insulating and sealing every tiny gap.. I did not think it would matter much.. I was wrong.

The insulation thickness is fine but those dang air gaps that are causing cold air to seep in is a problem.

I have about a 20 degree difference from about 12 foot off the floor. 70-80 up top and 50ish when I set my thermometer on the floor.

I sit with my feet elevated as much as possible and have snug slippers and woolies on the feet.

Eliminating drafts is going to be the very best way to keep a nice toasty interior. Not sure how good insulation is going to be if you have a 5 knots of 20 degree air channeling through door trim.

I also put fabric over all the wall paneling and I am now a huge fan of nice soft snuggly walls instead of cold wood. paneling.

After a winter here I should feel bold enough to advance onto Alaska winters!

Don't have a link, but search for Crua Culla Solo. Insulated sleeping pod that has airbeams instead of a bunch of poles for super easy set up. Would be perfect for winter weather in a van. Crua is just coming out with them.

I have a vented propane heater, it works great, a Dickenson 12000 btu, no power needed if on low which it mostly sits on, you can run the fan at variable speeds if you want a fast warm up in the morning or after being away for awhile. Getting through a night is not a problem with a good sleeping bag no matter how cold it gets, I think the issue is getting up in the morning or hanging out during the day or evening in comfort. Who wants to sit around in a parka or wrapped in a sleeping bag in discomfort. It can be freezing outside and I can be in my underwear grooving to my favorite tunes in comfort. It doesn’t matter where you go, what time of year it is, there is always going to be cold damp nights that you will want to find warmth, or if you are not feeling great, IMO invest in a good vented propane, wood or diesel heater, you won’t regret it. I also have a 1500 watt electric ceramic heater and a couple of very long extension chords, for when I have access to shore power, also very nice dry and plenty of heat even on freezing nights.I found mine complete with chimney and mounting plate second hand in the marine section of Craig’slist for 400 bucks, money well spent, easy to install.