Heating my van off-grid. Where to start?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheena

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Apologies in advance for the "nubeness" of this post. 

I need some advice on how to heat my 1989 Dodge Camper Van off-grid. It has no furnace that I can find. It does have a propane tank but it's attached to the stove. I will be traveling from Boston MA to Oakland CA in January and I simply HATE the cold. I want something more than "Just bundle up." I will be sleeping in friends driveways, Walmart lots, and some stealth (when I think I can get away with it.)

I want to make sure I have a safe, affordable and reliable heating set-up. 

Because I'm not certain this is my final van (it has some rust underneath), I'm not looking to do any complex or expensive upgrades until I know this beast of a van is reliable enough to drag across the country! Although Solar add-on is not off the table as it may be my one exception. So open to hearing how I can use a heater with solar too. 

Do you whip smart folks have any suggestions for an easy and effective start?

Portable propane heater - Mr. Heater Buddy Jr. with hookup to a 20lb tank (optional) or the Wave heater.  Buddy Heater is far cheaper and what I use.  Add  CO and propane detectors,  if worried about leaks and vapor buildup (actually far less a danger than many think).  This system would be easy to transplant to another vehicle down the line.

What he said ^^^ ;)
 We use a one gallon refillable tank...lasts about 10 days to 2 weeks. I kick it on at the slightest chill. Be damned if I'm gonna bundle up sitting in my home when I can be comfy.

LeeRevell said:
Portable propane heater - Mr. Heater Buddy Jr. with hookup to a 20lb tank (optional) or the Wave heater.  Buddy Heater is far cheaper and what I use.  Add  CO and propane detectors,  if worried about leaks and vapor buildup (actually far less a danger than many think).  This system would be easy to transplant to another vehicle down the line.

Thanks! I've read about these elsewhere, but wasn't sure it was right for my arrangement. There is just so much information out there! It can be overwhelming. Appreciate the suggestion.

bindi&us said:
What he said ^^^ ;)
 We use a one gallon refillable tank...lasts about 10 days to 2 weeks. I kick it on at the slightest chill. Be damned if I'm gonna bundle up sitting in my home when I can be comfy.

Exactly!  :D 

And thanks for the "10 days to 2 weeks" time frame. I was going to toss a followup question asking how long they last.

The 20lb (5 gal) will last quite a while, but I like the smaller size of the one gallon...easy storage.

Downside is that the smaller tanks cost almost twice what the 20 pounder does.

Another advantage of the 1 lb. tanks is portability, you can move it around the vehicle.  If using a hose to the 20 lb. tank it's more fixed.  But the extra time with the larger tank is convenient.

Bob did a series of You tubes on portable heaters. This is the first of three.

Many van dwellers just use their stove to heat with unless they're in really extremely cold temperatures. Stoves have many advantages over the buddy or wave heaters in the fact that they offer more BTU's of heat, plus they are far more adjustable. Most heaters only have a few settings, where the stoves have a very wide selection of heat output.

On a typical day, I will crank up my stove full blast to warm the van up as quickly as possible, then leave one burner like on a very lower simmer to maintain the comfort level once the temperature is comfortable.

As with any non vented heater, you do need ventilation, and a CO detector is highly recommended along with a smoke detector.

I find it handy to carry an Electric space heater in addition to a propane fired heater or furnace.

Anytime you have access to Grid Power (such as a friend's driveway or campground with electric hookup) you can use the electric and save propane.  100' of extension cord is usually enough.

Many different models and sizes to pick from, ceramic or oil filled, etc.

Also, you can cut your propane needs using a 12V electric blanket.  Throw it on the bench when you are eating, inside your sleeping bag when sleeping, etc.  I don't burn propane overnight while sleeping unless it is outrageously cold.

Reverse Engineer said:
I find it handy to carry an Electric space heater in addition to a propane fired heater or furnace.

Anytime you have access to Grid Power (such as a friend's driveway or campground with electric hookup) you can use the electric and save propane.  100' of extension cord is usually enough.
Also, you can cut your propane needs using a 12V electric blanket.  ...

How much space does the electric space heater take up? I have an electric forced fan coil heater, which is very small. Less than a cubic foot small. A 12v electric blanket must use lots of power does it?

I wish MR Buddy or Wave 3 would make a heater or have an addon for thermostatic control much like many built in RV heaters. I feel for those who would like thermostatic heat control but can not afford it. They go to bed at a comfortable temperature and wake up sweating. Or have automatic flame adjustment based on desired temperature, going to 500 BTU or lower when it senses the temperature is hotter than the temperature setting.

I don't know the rating of my 12v electric blankets or heated seat cushions, but I can tell you that the draw is so low it is unnoticeable.