Heat in a car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guess it would depend on the region your in.......Im the same , I have a sub -zero bag for the winter & a few fleece blankets......during the rest of the year I have a couple military "Woobie" poncho liners that are great & lite weight

PastTense - Today 09:04 PM
How do you keep the head warm with sleeping bags ?
Number of ways:
• That is what the hood on mummy bags is for. In below zero temperatures, I cinch mine around my head so only my nose and mouth are exposed - nice and toasty.
• Wear a stocking cap or hoodie.
• Put a wool or fleece blanket over your head.
Do not breathe into your sleeping bag (especially down), as your breath will dampen the insulation; making it less efficient.
-- Spiff

modified mummy or mummy bags all have hoods. although I don't use the hood unless well under 20. like I said I like to sleep in the cold. highdesertranger

Wow! I don't know how you guys do it with the 100+ degree blazing hot weather and -0 arctic cold chill. That's unreal. I must be a wuus cuz I'm used to 50F to 60F temps most of the time.

Caseyc: people here don't; instead they mostly move with the climate--so if is 100+ they either move high into the mountains or to Northern states. If it is -0 arctic cold chill they move to the warmer climates in the South.

PastTense said:
Caseyc: people here don't; instead they mostly move with the climate--so if is 100+ they either move high into the mountains or to Northern states. If it is -0 arctic cold chill they move to the warmer climates in the South.

If I recall correctly, they were having 100+ heat waves in MONTANNA last summer . . .

Regards
John

I's not north and south, it's UP. Elevation will keep you cool. When it's 110 in Phoenix just drive 250 miles north to Flagstaff at 7000 feet and it'll be 85.
Bob

Anyone have problems breathing at 7,000 feet? The elevation where I live is about 1,000 feet.

PastTense said:
Anyone have problems breathing at 7,000 feet? The elevation where I live is about 1,000 feet.

It takes some time, a few days if I recall that lesson from 30 years ago correctly, for the body to adjust. But are you really in a hurry?:cool:

PastTense said:

I am in Missouri at 1,000 elevation. Some days I can't breath! ;)

PastTense said:

You have to try it. Everyone is different and it is different every time. 7000 ft should be no problem unless you have breathing problems already. The solution is simple: if you are having symptoms of altitude sickness, go down. 1000 ft lower for a day will usually solve the problem. -- Spiff

I like the mummy sleeping bags for warmth and the hood on them works great to keep your head warm. I have used them in the winter in the cascade mountains in Oregon and in Alaska in the winter and slept comfortably in a tent. I don't have a mummy bag right now so I just pull a thick fleece blanket over my head.

PastTense said:

Being on oxygen, I have trouble breathing at sea level most days.
We were in Flagstaff (7000') last month while a fire raged 20 miles away and that was really rough.
Now, we're in Santa Fe (7000') and its clear air, but I still require the O2 nearly continually. (which reminds me....I need to go exchange some tanks today)

Its a bit of a hassle, but I'm not going to let a little thing like being addicted to oxygen keep me from going where I want for as long as I can. Carrying a 170 liter tank on my back has become second nature. (170 liter tank is only about 13" tall and 3" in diameter and fits in a Camel (water) pack, sans the bladder)

If you're having difficulty breathing at 1000' I suggest you have your lungs checked. I didn't realize I had problems till I broke a couple ribs and punctured a lung 2 yrs ago. They found I have severe COPD related to Agent Orange. The 40 odd yrs of smoking 2 packs of non-filters a day didn't help a bit either. Funny part was that I had quit smoking 3 yrs before this and the damage was already done.
Oh well, at least I don't have to spend big bucks for cigs now days :)

Annie W said:
Yet another exceptional thread. Thank you all :)

I thought the thread said, "Heat in a can" and I thought someone was using Sterno fuel cans. No such luck.    :(