Hawaiian Dishes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl1966

Reaction score
Spam Musubi - this makes approx nine musubi rolls.

1 can of spam (pick your fave variation of it)
2 3/4 cups sushi rice (shortgrain white rice)
nori musubi seaweed paper (width of paper varies according to taste)
furikake (toasted seaweed & sesame seed version)
musubi press - http://goo.gl/HeEO7v
saran wrap

cook rice

Cut spam to 1/8" slices and fry in oiled skillet 2 mins per side

Bowl of warm water to soak musubi press in

fill press loosely with cooked rice, then press with press (duh), remove press and shell from rice cake.

lightly sprinkle furikake on rice.

add one slice of fried spam on top

wrap seaweed around musubi

Wrap saran wrap around spam musubi and eat and let sit for 10 minutes before eating. Store in fridge and reheat if you're not ready.

Two of these fills up the average person. Three if you're fluffy. Four thru Seven if you're simply a pig. Eight to Nine, if you're either into insanely high triglyceride counts or an Olympic athelete in training.

Depending on the kind of nori (seaweed wraps you get) your musubi may look like the following ...

musubi1.jpg musubi2.jpg

More to come!

Loco Moco

This is an easier one, but there are many variations. I'm offering you one of the simpler versions.

2 cups cooked white rice (any kind you favor or is easiest to make)
1 fried hamburger patty
Gravy - dry packets or homemade .. any kind, it's your choice
2 fried eggs - any style you want.

Put rice in bowl or place. Put some gravy on rice. Place patty on top and add more gravy to it. Put eggs on top. Eat up!

You can get as simple or elaborate with this as you like. There are so many variations of this, but all are really good. I've never started a day off badly eating this meal. Granted I to tend to eat less and healthier later in the day, but feel none the worse for wear.

Attachments

• musubi1.jpg
    musubi1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 2
  • musubi2.jpg
    musubi2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 2
Kalua Pig

This makes enough for a family so be sure you've got plenty of mouths or like it enough to eat for a week.

3 pd pork butt/shoulder roast
1.5 teaspoon liquid smoke
2.25 teaspoons hawaiian sea salt (reddish or pink in color)

place butt (fat side up) in pot/oven/slow cooker/dutch oven
stab with a knife repeatedly (norman bates style)
rub salt all over butt
rub liquid smoke all over butt

cook time in a slow cooker is about 8 (+/- 2-4 extra) hours, w/a flip at the midway point.

separate the drippings, shred butt with pair of forks

you can eat it as is or move onto the lightning round for extra points.

------------

& Cabbage

1 cabbage - not all of it, just use what you need for the serving.
chicken stock
KP drippings

chop it up - large bites

add shredded KP, chopped up cabbage, mixture of stock & drippings (enough to barely cover) to pan and cook at medium heat. when the liquid boils reduce heat and cover. stir occasionally, cook until cabbage is al dente

serve em up on a bed of white rice. s&p to taste. no soy sauce! you'll ruin it and miss out on the flavor of the KP and cabbage.

tada!

Bela said:
Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe!:)

:) Thank you, but I can't take credit for them. These were taught to me by friends from the Islands. They really are yummy though :D