Have cargo van, want to add a TT. Advice?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xNateX

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a diesel promaster, extended length high roof 3500. It has suited me well until now - it fits all my toys and I can sleep in there too (in a hammock amongst said toys; dirtbike, scuba gear, so on and so forth).

I want to be more comfortable now - something that feels more like home. A shower. A/C. Refrigerator. And I'd rather just add a travel trailer instead of building out the cargo van. I would lose some mobility and gain the hassle of towing and that's ok.

My van can tow 5,100 pounds. There are plenty of used lance tt's that would work for me, and I may end up going that route. They are expensive though, and I just want something basic and comfortable while spending as little as possible.

Any recommendations?

Are you looking for advice on what type of TT to get?  

If not, it might help to be more specific.  You may get a LOT of advice that you weren't looking for.  

I can tell you this:  I've recently inherited a TT...it's old, but everything works.  I now have HOT RUNNING WATER. 
A fridge, and things I'm still getting used to.  For the sake of comfort, I recommend it. 

Good luck.

ps. My dogs said that they recommend a TT also. Lots more floor room.

Yes, what type of tt to get that is basic, comfortable, and low(er) cost.

My tow rating of 5,100 pounds is on the low side. I know Lance will work, and the all-aluminum Camplite Livin Lite tt's too. All expensive. I may resign myself to that fate, but many heads may well provide a better solution than my own.

The hot water and other luxuries sound enticing. I also have a cargo van and am getting a converted cargo trailer, but no hot water or shower. I may someday upgrade if I find a good price on a TT.

I've seen Bob's youtube/posts on converted cargo trailers, in many ways a better solution by his reckoning. This may be true, but I'm not handy with tools and building stuff, I don't enjoy it basically. Whereas having something ready-made appeals to me.

I've had the roaming bug and scratched that itch - roamed far and wide in a spartan fashion in my cargo van. I'm ready to put my feet up more often now, for longer, and drive less. Different chapters and all.

Love my van for what it is, a garage on wheels. Don't want to change that, just add to it. Frugally and wisely- to whatever extent that may be possible.

It would be good if you can afford to buy a used fiberglass travel trailer. Those are light in weight and I don't know of any bad brands of them. But you do want to of course carefully inspect them to make sure everything works properly, that it has good tires and a good frame. Most of them do fit within the range of your towing capacity. The Bigfoot trailers are nice because they have good insulation, some of them are even 3 season with dual pane windows. They are made in British Columbia so there tend to be more of them on the West Coast.

xNateX said:
I've seen Bob's youtube/posts on converted cargo trailers, in many ways a better solution by his reckoning. This may be true, but I'm not handy with tools and building stuff, I don't enjoy it basically. Whereas having something ready-made appeals to me.

I've had the roaming bug and scratched that itch - roamed far and wide in a spartan fashion in my cargo van. I'm ready to put my feet up more often now, for longer, and drive less. Different chapters and all.

Love my van for what it is, a garage on wheels. Don't want to change that, just add to it. Frugally and wisely- to whatever extent that may be possible.

I have just very recently moved from a 6x12 cargo trailer with some enhancements ... I was in the cargo trailer for about 2 years.  I plan on keeping it. Use it for 3-4 day trips to the Mountains here in NM, AZ and CO.  I still feel like it's home.
But... I love this Travel Trailer.  I almost feel decadent with the HOT RUNNING WATER.   :)

so, plans evolved and alternates become new realities.  Sheez.  That's plenty of adventure to me.  

I wish you success. 

Pat

hey Pat the girls do look content. I happy for all of you. highdesertranger

Maki2,

Thank for the Bigfoot recommendation! I had completely forgotten about them. Some years ago I looked at the Scamps and they were just too small for my liking.

TT's, to me personally, all seem like some version of "disposable". The higher-priced ones may last a little longer but it's the fiberglass ones that I think are most apt to stand the test of time. Now that you've mentioned it, I think that's the direction I'd like to proceed.

Sofisintown,

I don't like building out my van because I would hate the process. The simple process of changing the oil is apt to ruin my generally good mood and that's about the limits of my comfort level. And having someone do it for me would be co$tly. But mostly because even a ideal built just feels too small and cramped for me. I checked out some class B's prior to my van purchase and while I was amazed at how comfy they were, I just want something bigger now.

It's been a process for sure, and this is simply where I am at this point in time.

Not exceeding about 80% of your gross capacity will help keep you out of trouble. The diesel engine in the promaster is a bit on the smallish side, so it's not a real stump-puller. Couple this with a motorcycle, scuba gear, misc stuff, and presumably tools and supplies and spares in the van....your total combined ready to roll weight is probably gonna be right at the practical limit for that van. You need to consider the rolling total weight (GCWR)which includes the cargo you are already hauling around.

I would suggest you limit your choices to travel trailers that weigh no more than about 4000 fully loaded, full of water, food, propane, etc. 2000-3000 would be better.

It can be done, but you should be looking at the lighter weight (or ultralite) trailers in 13-18 foot range.

The last thing you want is the trailer being too much for that van to comfortably pull around....the 'tail wagging the dog' situation is never fun when it is windy, passing semis, on curvy mountain roads etc...

Livinlite was a much better trailer and had quality control before they were bought out by Fleetwood or Forest River several years ago. If you are going that route check the year they were bought out and buy before that.

Lance is another good trailer but kinda high dollar. Maybe you can find a good used one.

Basically the fiberglass eggs are good but I thought you wanted something a bit larger. I think they have a 16’ Casita.

basically with all the stuff you mentioned I would get another tow vehicle. with a trailer of any decent size you are going to be overweight. highdesertranger

there are 16' and 17' Casitas  https://casitatraveltrailers.com/
The 17' deluxe has a dry weight of 2,480lbs. Which is just a little less than half the 5,000 lb weight stated as the OPs maximum for towing.

travelaround said:
The hot water and other luxuries sound enticing. I also have a cargo van and am getting a converted cargo trailer, but no hot water or shower. I may someday upgrade if I find a good price on a TT.

Hey.  I fell into a situation that benefited me greatly.  Sadly, a man passed away during this period.  Since I'd offered to adopt his dog and give her a good home, his executor chose to provide to me the trailer that they lived in .  It's old, and needed industrial-strength cleaning.  But comfortable and everything works.  It has literally, in my opinion, been a Godsend.  Both the dog (Sophie) and the trailer.  To show you how weird I am, adopting Sophie has been the big plus in my mind.  
:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Hope I'm not hijacking the OP's topic.

xNateX said:
Hello all.

I have a diesel promaster, extended length high roof 3500. It has suited me well until now - it fits all my toys and I can sleep in there too (in a hammock amongst said toys; dirtbike, scuba gear, so on and so forth).

I want to be more comfortable now - something that feels more like home. A shower. A/C. Refrigerator. And I'd rather just add a travel trailer instead of building out the cargo van. I would lose some mobility and gain the hassle of towing and that's ok.

A van pulling just enough travel trailer always sounded like the way to go.

Have you considered building out the van for comfort, and towing a small (6x10, or 6x12) cargo trailer for the toys...you could also hag an awning off of it, and use the roof for additional solar.

Lance TTs are very nice, but also very expensive, and hard to find used.

'Since I'd offered to adopt his dog and give her a good home, his executor chose to provide to me the trailer that they lived in '.  
    I love the way your friend's executor chose to fulfill his duties.

We have Nissan NVs 2500/3500 (8 cylinder). We pull a 5000# trailer. The van is the second bedroom. But we have found out that it's easier to travel in the van while using the trailer as home base. After a year+ of having to move every two weeks, that got old, as did having to dump the tanks every 3-4 weeks.

The van is much easier and almost as comfortable.
Ted