Has anyone had any luck installing a hightop roof on their van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fr0me

Reaction score
Looking to buy a Chevy express or GMC savana for cheap, and installing a high top roof on it to convert it into a frugal high top sprinter van. You can buy a high top from places online that sell from the USA, but it can get pricey. I was thinking go to a local scrapyard that allows you to poach parts from vehicles, find a van with a similar wheelbase and a high top. Cut the top off, cut hole through your main van, install new roof and you should be golden, right? Would there be things that you did differently?

Has anyone had any luck doing this with their van? If so van you share your insight on this? Would you do something differently if you did it again? Was there anything that you wish you knew before you did this? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also I have already checked out the blog on this topic and found it very helpful. I would just like some of your guys` opinions.

Thank you in advance!  
biggrin.gif

I have installed many high tops, I did van conversions back in the day.

the pick-a-parts around here will not let you use power tools, plus you will need like at least 4 tall strong guys to muscle it off and walk it out to your trailer.

another point is you don't cut it off you unbolt/unscrew/unrivet it off. haha unrivet is that even a word?

you will need a flat bed trailer to transport it.

also look on Craig's List they come up on there from time to time.

you must cut the top of the van before you set the top on. you will need those 4 muscle men again or an A-frame lift.

there are different quality's of high tops. single wall thick and thin, hollow double wall(similar to a hollow core door), and laminated double wall(the best IMO).

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the pick-a-parts around here will not let you use power tools,  plus you will need like at least 4 tall strong guys to muscle it off and walk it out to your trailer.
Thanks for the reply!
The pickapart near me allows the use of a sawzaw if its nessisary. If its like you said and you only have to `unrivet` and detach the roof from the donor van then it may be simpler.
Do you think its possible to transport it on the roof of the main van via the use of straps and tiedowns? If not maybe its possible to do this work all at the junkyard?
Thanks

buy or rent a flat bed trailer to take it home on.

yep when you are going through all the expense and labor to do this there is no reason to mickey mouse. strapping the top to the van and driving down the road is what I would call mickey mouse and dangerous. you won't get me to sanction this behavior. highdesertranger

Look to see if the top is screed on only or some kind of epoxy bonding agent as well.  I had a 94 E350 that was screwed and glued which would be hard to remove the glue/epoxy.

^^^ That has what is commonly referred to a TV top and not really a high top unless you are really short.

This sounds like a really hot, frustrating, exhausting day at the pick-N-pull to me. If you are patient, there are occasional high top vans that come up for sale on CL. You may need to drive to a big city to get it, but cheaper, and easier in the long run.

I think this falls into the category of jobs where if you wonder at all whether it's within your abilities, it probably isn't.

B and C said:
^^^ That has what is commonly referred to a TV top and not really a high top unless you are really short.

True, but you have a van with a “TV Top” you can remove, sell and drive to the pick a part and put the newly found “High top” on right there in the parking lot.

Or

You can cut a 14”x 24” hole in the roof and put in a RV sky light which can give you a extra 6 to 8 inches.

So .... you can make it happen or sit and type about all the what is wrong with things.

Latest posts