Has anyone had a 1987 Dolphin RV or similar? Really slow?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sephson said:
I believe the technical term for these is rivers. :p
Secondary roads are drawn In blue, hence, blue roads. There also a neat little book titled< "Blue Roads".

Don't worry about been slow. I live in Texas and seldom drive the posted speed limit. You save in fuel and you get to a better look of the country you want to see. If some want to pass pull to the side and let them by.

arctic cat said:
Don't worry about been slow.  I live in Texas and seldom drive the posted speed limit.  You save in fuel and you get to a better look of the country you want to see.   If some want to pass pull to the side and let them by.

I moved to the TX hill country from upstate NY 8 months ago. I was blown away (in every sense) by the 75 speed limit on these 2 lane roads. 80 85 is normal. Yikes! The land of the raging pick ups. Letting them pass is a good idea.

I've been there !
Even if there's nothing coming and the road is straight with unlimited visibility they will sit on your tail and honk at you till you pull over and let them pass ! :huh:

Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I thought I was on fire or something the first time it happened ! :rolleyes:

rvpopeye said:
I've been there  !
Even if there's nothing coming and the road is straight with unlimited visibility they will sit on your tail and honk at you till you pull over and let them pass !  :huh:

Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I thought I was on fire or something the first time it happened ! :rolleyes:

Yup you have been here alright. Chuckle!  Different world. Kokopelli is a favorite, rogue that he was.

I loved my Toyota Pickup with the 22RE motor. I talked to a guy driving a Dolphin type camper and he was bragging to big rig RVers about 18mpg. I didn't have the heart to tell him I can get the same mpg in my Dodge Road Trek at 65 mph.

The one thing you need to be aware of with the 4 cylinder engine, is the timing chain, they need to be replaced every 70 to 80 thousand miles. When they are extremely worn out, they can wear through the water jacket in the timing chain cover and cause major damage to the engine.

it's not the chain it's the guides and they last way over 80k. but that is a weak point of the 22r. you must replace the timing chain guides before the chain can contact the timing chain cover. highdesertranger