Has anyone had a 1987 Dolphin RV or similar? Really slow?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachykeen

Reaction score
I am having a time finding an RV. There is an 87 Toyota that looks promising but I wonder if I can live with a 4 cylinder. I understand they don't have much power, anyone with experience here. The listing is Craig's list Killeen-Temple TX.

I recently bought an 86 Toyota 4-cylinder camper and we rocked 35 mph going over the Cascades. On the flat it was an easy 50 mph but I certainly could have gone 60 if I weren't trying to maximize gas usage.

I figure that I'm not in any hurry so why worry about how fast I'm going?

Yea my understanding is that the 4cyl ones are waaaay slow but can get 17-18mpg. The 6cyl ones can handle their weight a little better (still slow) but only get 12-13 MPG. At that MPG, you may as well get a V8 van or small Class-C and not have to worry about the speeds as much.

The larger concern of the Dolphin-type RVs is that they are basically overweight before adding a single item in them. The rear axles are the weak point, with problems and failures reported on them left and right. If you are just going to be sitting still in an RV park, then they can hold their own, but as long haul RV's I would not recommend them.... unless you enjoy working on your rig constantly, then they are great... but not as great as a VW Vanagon.... those guys will have you putting more hours repairing then driving, for sure.

The rear axle problem was recalled and replaced in 86 with a free floating 1 ton!
The 22re 4 cyl is called "bulletproof" .
Not big power but energizer bunny tough.
Like jester said if you're not in a big hurry and don't need to fly up a mountain...........
They have a cult following and a good deal on one is usually gone fast.

If you do much driving in mountainous areas, it would be impractical. Or, at least, frustrating--for you and for those behind you.

The Toyota engine is legendary for its reliability. The problem is the RV's weight, and the on older models, the rear axle bearings eating through the shafts/housings at a high rate as well. They fixed the axle issues by going full floater, but that doesn't fix the weight. The little 4cyl is I think alittle small for anything other then one of those little Chinook RV's. You could get one with the 3.0 V6, but they are notorious for having problems.

Yes, I think you'd want to be mindful of the weight. I went for 21', no roof AC and no generator. I'm mindful of what I'm putting in and will be careful not to travel long distances with full holding tanks. Beyond that, these little vehicles have been around for 30+ years and many are still in amazing condition.

make sure it has the upgraded full floating axle. the 22r is a great motor a few tweaks and it is bulletproof. you are not going to break any speed records if that is important to you. with one of these it's slow and steady. highdesertranger

The 87 is after the rear changeover.
Quick check for the non mechanical is 6 lug not 5.

I've never owned one of these but know a few that do.
Whenever I'm looking for a rig , I look for a ToyHome w/22re first.
(The mpg is very desirable for my budget.)
Plus , I like going slower , you see more of the sights !

As always , check for signs of LEAKS !

(Theadyn is selling hers !!!)

peachykeen said:
I am having a time finding an RV. There is an 87 Toyota that looks promising but I wonder if I can live with a 4 cylinder. I understand they don't have much power, anyone with experience here. The listing is Craig's list Killeen-Temple TX.

Wow! Thank you all for your comments. Mainly I don't want to be a road block but I prefer the blue roads anyway. I will be going from TX to upstate NY, probably back to TX then Arizona for a bit then up the coast to Washington. I will take the flattest RT using the flattest route website. I had hoped to make the rtr this month but perhaps this winter.  Cheers, Millie

don't worry about being a roadblock. I am a super roadblock. my truck is no speedster, just pull over and let them pass, no biggie. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
don't worry about being a roadblock.  I am a super roadblock.  my truck is no speedster,  just pull over and let them pass,  no biggie.  highdesertranger

I like your attitude and value your insights.

Van-Tramp said:
I would not recommend them.... unless you enjoy working on your rig constantly, then they are great... but not as great as a VW Vanagon.... those guys will have you putting more hours repairing then driving, for sure.

I follow a vlog called Kombi Life, and in their 3+ year trip from southern tip of Chile to Alaska, I've lost track of bow many times they've been stranded and had to pull the engine from the VW bus. I used to think owning an old bus might be cool, but now I don't even want to enter into the raffle to give it away, afraid I might win :O

I 90 from Erie to Albany runs through a valley and has few hills.
Avoid I 81 through Virginia ,,,Roanoke is a doozy !

BradKW said:
I follow a vlog called Kombi Life, and in their 3+ year trip from southern tip of Chile to Alaska, I've lost track of bow many times they've been stranded and had to pull the engine from the VW bus. I used to think owning an old bus might be cool, but now I don't even want to enter into the raffle to give it away, afraid I might win  :O

Those older VW's are neat, but I wouldn't try and travel in it when you haveto rebuild the engine every time you pull it out the driveway..

BradKW said:
, afraid I might win :O

LOL
this reminds me of when I drove for a bus company, and we had just gotten a bunch of newer busses to replace the Brazilian built 21 passenger Marco Polos our fleet was mostly made of
General Manager
"this year at the company picnic we'll hold a raffle. First prize will be a Marco......second prize will be TWO of them"

i would recommend on any rig but especially smaller engine ones that you get the manual transmission

peachykeen said:
Wow! Thank you all for your comments. Mainly I don't want to be a road block .......

Meh. It's your road too.  Use it any way you want.

YUP !
That's what the slow lanes up most hills are for !
I've spent most of my life out on the road and can't count the times somebody blew by me only to see them a few miles down the road wrapped around a tree or way out in the middle of a field or pulled over by a cop............and almost always just stuck behind the next guy and trying to pass them , must be very stressful way to spend a life. And just plain dangerous to everyone else too.
NOT FOR ME !
Made me a believer in lose the "I can't get there fast enough , speed limits don't apply to MEEEEE" mindset .