Has anyone ever put a treadmill inside a bus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 40' coach with a Cummings 8000 generator. It could easily handle a treadmill. But when I wanted to workout, I'd drive to a Planet Fitness. I get a higher quality workout there. They have more equipment, better ventilation, multiple entertainment options, and unlimited hot water (though I prefer the privacy and cleanliness of the coach).

Many of us have fitness equipment lying around at home, unused. The justification we used about convenience of being able to workout at home, turned out to be a fantasy. If you've established a routine of going to the gym on a regular basis, don't cease the habit when you become a vehicle dweller.

Yes, but that greatly influences the van life as a result.

Requires to be near the gym and to then drive daily to said gym. Right now I have an apartment because I have a small down and my rig is a minivan. I have been getting closer to planning a minivan life, that allows me to keep working my overnight job, and then going to the gym 1 hour 4 times a week still.

Right now it seems quite impossible to juggle so many things that I am and make them all fit together. However, I am getting closer and closer to feeling comfortable that it COULD work..

Living in a minivan in town, working an overnight job buying food after work, driving to the gym 4 times a week, meal prepping at the park twice a week. Sleeping in the park in the afternoon no overnight parking /sleeping rules don't apply in the afternoon :sleep: ...im in the process of brainstorming of "rebuilding" my minivan to see if it can be improved to make it all fit together better.

I still want to see about a treadmill in a bus because I think it is right for me.. just because others failed in their gym route does not mean I shouldn't attempt it.. I will admit I failed TONS of times in the past but I had to do a lot of healing before I got to this point in my life where im am healed enough and able to go through this process of weight loss! Spending the winter in the Arizona desert was such a massive healing process!

I am starting to think it's much more possible than I thought, just nobody desired it enough to actually do it. ...it's a long term goal not a short term goal given my debt, but in 2-4 years I should be above the water enough that I would be fine anyways..

Last edited:
Hmmm, thinking about electricity, why not use some sort of cardio machine that you use to generate electricity? If you burn enough calories, you'll be able to run the a/c!

90% of the time I worried about electricity over the last 2 years was when I was living in an apartment! I built a 200 watt solar system paired with a 200ah battery and their was only 2 days I was mildly concerned about lack of power. One when it was raining for the 3rd day and the trickle in power over those days was lower than my consumption, and the other day in a Texas picnic area when I parked in the shade on a cloudy day and didn't realize I needed more direct sun.

With a school bus power generation is almost limitless! I think you could fit 20,000watts up there! :eek: Not that I would do that since 200 was beyond what I needed but my apartment energy bill would make me think generating electricty would be a good idea to light up the home!

I'm having trouble reconciling "treadmill" with either "minimalism" or "paying down debt."

I can see making it work if it was the #1 top priority in your life (or, say, one of the top three), but otherwise, it seems more like daydream material to me.

Sometimes the things you do to start out on a healthy lifestyle eventually give way to things that require more/different effort. (Just like they recommend getting used to eating more fresh fruit and veg by buying the pre-packaged stuff at first.) Get the habits locked in, and then spend some time switching to new habits and locking those in. Don't try to do this simultaneously with your switch back to van life; focus on one at a time would be my suggestion.

What about some kind of stationary bike instead? You could even rig it to generate a little electricity (instead of using a lot).

The feeling that I now get jogging on a treadmill is amazing, I feel like a thin healthy person and my body feels like it's stretching for the first time. I would describe it like being able to stand up in your rig! lol... I say that having a minivan and living in it full-time over a year and I would 1000% rather have a treadmill in a trailer and live in my minivan vs being able to stand up. It's an amazing experience I don't want to give up so I'm brainstorming options to keep the experience. Likely I will continue in town life for a while and keep at the gym be it I live in an apartment or the minivan with my dog. but long term I still feel set on the idea of a treadmill in a bus.
How many well-intentioned folks buy treadmills, or other home workout equipment, only to let it end up being used as a coat rack after 90 days or less!
Not saying you would be one of those folks, but those are the often-found results of otherwise good intentions!

Amen! I failed so many times before I got to where I am today... I been at my training 6 months now and I jog 50 min 4 times a day at 4.7MPH and a 3% grade. being able to consistantly replicate those conditions are important that going outside can't always produce on point.

Working out is TOUGH! so often it will look FINE on paper.. ie oh just go outside and run it's free! ...well if it's hot or raining, or it's foggy, or the road looks scary, or the sholder is narrow, or you run into a snake, or it's to sunny and and and and... yea, I already got a thousand excuses so I already know that the "outside" will be my free coat rack in less than 4 days!

to truly know ourselves is to truly admit to ourselves who we REALLY are.. flaws and all ... sometimes we know ourselves to well that we know when we won't do something, even if it looks FINE on paper!
I had a home treadmill back in the day. It took 3 really strong guys to move it downstairs to my place. Why in the world would you want something that heavy in your vehicle?

Same reason I carried around 166lbs of water.. it was important to me. Being trapped in the body of a fat person is a prison.

Overall... im disheartened that so many people found this thread offensive enough to consider it wasteful or felt the need to discourage such an activity. I was really hoping to have a discussion of FIRST talking about how it was possible, and THEN narrowing it down to finding specific treadmills that were more lighter weight and lower power and then debating and talking about finding the perfect balance and finding more about the power consumption and talking about working out in a rig as well.. I guess not... I guess vanliving community is NOT supportive of the treadmill community o_O

I suggest that there are just not enough people in the vanliving community who carry treadmills in their rigs to generate the kind of support and interest you are looking for.

Most of us focus first on the use of space and added weight for items we want to add.

Last edited:
Overall... im disheartened that so many people found this thread offensive enough to consider it wasteful or felt the need to discourage such an activity. I was really hoping ...

I've been surprised lately at the threads where people ask for advice and feedback and then complain that the responses they get aren't what they wanted.

What do people think they are owed here?

How do they think conversations work?

How do they think Internet forums work?

How do they expect to ever learn anything?

How do they think people will respond the next time they ask for help? (Frankly, the patience and helpfulness of some forum members borders on sainthood, but every resource is finite.)

Do they think the people offering help here don't have their own problems, their own goals, and their own tough choices?

These comments don't apply only to this thread -- that's why I'm saying "they" instead of "you" -- but they do apply here.

As far as I can see, nobody labeled this thread "offensive," but personally I'm tempted to label the quoted comment as offensive.

And I'll say again: If you're at a place where the only way you feel you can change your life is to rely on an expensive, bulky, heavy piece of equipment, then (1) more power to you, enjoy, it's certainly a valid tactic (though not one available to everyone); but (2) don't expect people who are living a minimalist, austerity-based, mobile lifestyle to help you figure out how to avoid making the same kinds of tough choices everyone else is making every day. Or at least, don't complain if they don't -- instead, learn from it.

Overall... im disheartened that so many people found this thread offensive enough to consider it wasteful or felt the need to discourage such an activity. I was really hoping to have a discussion of FIRST talking about how it was possible, and THEN narrowing it down to finding specific treadmills that were more lighter weight and lower power and then debating and talking about finding the perfect balance and finding more about the power consumption and talking about working out in a rig as well.. I guess not... I guess vanliving community is NOT supportive of the treadmill community o_O
You will find a more knowledgeable audience on a schoolie forum.

First problem I see is unless you are under 5'2" tall you will be walking on the treadmill scrunched over. Treadmills at my gym are 10" off the floor at 3º incline, standard school bus ceiling height is 6'.

As to finding a treadmill that meets your needs: find a site that discusses treadmills. I can't think of any specific requirements for transporting them.

To add to what Morgana said, people ask questions on public forums because they (assumedly) want honest feedback.

From strangers, who may have life experience a poster does not.

Personally, I believe it is morally reprehensible to knowingly help another person hurl themselves off a cliff.

I’m all for pursuing one’s dreams, whenever possible, but within the reality one is living in.

Just different points of view. A treadmill (let alone a Bus) is a big luxury over the majority of what people are looking for on this forum. I personally greatly prefer doing my physical activity for fitness in the outdoors, But it will never give the consistency of owning a treadmill and similar. I have been in the fitness industry for 30 years and have seen the incredible benefits owning a treadmill can make. So you are on point having one in your Bus and doing what's needed to provide the amount of power for a Treadmill to work. You will definitely need to mod your power to simulate a 20A dedicated line for the treadmill.

It sounds like you have gotten some good info here and some realistic opinions from people that prefer the bear minimum and true Van life. If you thought the opinions weather you can put a treadmill in a bus was controversial wait till you research treadmills. I sell $4000-$7000 treadmills every day to those who are serious about fitness. lol

Last edited:
Amen! I failed so many times before I got to where I am today... I been at my training 6 months now and I jog 50 min 4 times a day at 4.7MPH and a 3% grade. being able to consistantly replicate those conditions are important that going outside can't always produce on point.

I guess vanliving community is NOT supportive of the treadmill community o_O

I kinda went overboard with wonder and admiration when I thought you meant 50min x4 a day. But then I reread your 1st post, and I think you mean 50min total in 4 sessions...? Still a very solid effort. (y) You obviously have a passion for this, and I don't think you should quit. But I'd definitely not go bus shopping for awhile. Maybe just keep going as you are, and see how life unfolds. Reduce or eliminate debt, save some money, get a better paying job, etc.

The problem is that the weight, size, cost, and power consumption of a treadmill make it incompatible with nomadic vehicle dwelling. Not a "minimal" thing at all. Not impossible... but really damn hard for someone who is working a low wage job and in financial trouble. Dreaming beyond your financial grasp is going to keep you on the verge of bankruptcy and always scrambling. I've seen people do this their whole life. Something has to give.

Priorities. Most nomads have given up a lot of things that "normal people have" in order to live cheap and be free, in nature, etc. I was very involved in bicycle racing, and even continued for a couple years while I was living in a wee camper shell on a Toyota pickup... but I gave that up. Did I miss it? In part yes, but overall? Nope. I enjoyed having less stuff to deal with, and more space in my tiny space.

And the less I needed, the less I needed to work. I made enough as a waiter at Bryce Canyon in one season to cover 4-5 years of living expenses. To me, that is worth a lot. Freedom.

I understand. Once you have found a workout that works for you, incrementally challenges you, one you are making progress with - then you have lots of inertia to stick with it, and that's a good thing. On the other hand, the most challenging workouts one can do are... someone else's. The Gazelle might be worth considering as an alternative to a treadmill. It doesn't require as much vertical space, requires no electricity save for the AA batteries that power the meters, and would be much easier to load into and assemble in a mobile platform.

Just different points of view. A treadmill (let alone a Bus) is a big luxury over the majority of what people are looking for on this forum. I personally greatly prefer doing my physical activity for fitness in the outdoors, But it will never give the consistency of owning a treadmill and similar. I have been in the fitness industry for 30 years and have seen the incredible benefits owning a treadmill can make. So you are on point having one in your Bus and doing what's needed to provide the amount of power for a Treadmill to work. You will definitely need to mod your power to simulate a 20A dedicated line for the treadmill.

It sounds like you have gotten some good info here and some realistic opinions from people that prefer the bear minimum and true Van life. If you thought the opinions weather you can put a treadmill in a bus was controversial wait till you research treadmills. I sell $4000-$7000 treadmills every day to those who are serious about fitness. lol

I wouldn't say 4,000 for a treadmill is to high depending on it's maintenance costs and dependability. I regularly pay $30 bucks a month for my gym membership so provided it lasted 12+ years with no maintenance costs beyond $200 bucks that wouldn't be that bad if the upfront cost could be absorbed.

But I doubt maintenance costs would be that cheap over such a time frame so buying a used one for 1K-2K or going retail vs commercial and getting a decent one for 300-800 bucks might be even better depending on the maintenance costs and also factoring in the power consumption and such..

I appreciate your note about the improved benefits of a treadmill.. I always felt that was the case, and I'm glad you mentioned it. Free is not always better, in life we get to decide what is important to us and work ourselves to obtain the most desired life that makes us happy within our means. Getting rid of my 1K a month rent and living in a rig means I can better afford to add some things back into my life. I can live without a sink, toilet, shower, heating, TV, gaming console, desktop computer, and more items that people take for granted... but life without a treadmill would mean my BODY would suffer from a decrease in it's physical abilities and it's motivation. That is a high cost, that would prevent me from living out of the daily commute of a gym location. but to each their own. I'm glad you can get your physical activities from the outdoors alone. That motivation to do so is far superior to my creature comforts!

I kinda went overboard with wonder and admiration when I thought you meant 50min x4 a day. But then I reread your 1st post, and I think you mean 50min total in 4 sessions...? Still a very solid effort. (y) You obviously have a passion for this, and I don't think you should quit. But I'd definitely not go bus shopping for awhile. Maybe just keep going as you are, and see how life unfolds. Reduce or eliminate debt, save some money, get a better paying job, etc.

The problem is that the weight, size, cost, and power consumption of a treadmill make it incompatible with nomadic vehicle dwelling. Not a "minimal" thing at all. Not impossible... but really damn hard for someone who is working a low wage job and in financial trouble. Dreaming beyond your financial grasp is going to keep you on the verge of bankruptcy and always scrambling. I've seen people do this their whole life. Something has to give.

Priorities. Most nomads have given up a lot of things that "normal people have" in order to live cheap and be free, in nature, etc. I was very involved in bicycle racing, and even continued for a couple years while I was living in a wee camper shell on a Toyota pickup... but I gave that up. Did I miss it? In part yes, but overall? Nope. I enjoyed having less stuff to deal with, and more space in my tiny space.

And the less I needed, the less I needed to work. I made enough as a waiter at Bryce Canyon in one season to cover 4-5 years of living expenses. To me, that is worth a lot. Freedom.

opps I meant in a week. I built up to jogging 50min in a 60min period once a day, four times a week. (Mon, Tuse, Thurs, Fri.) It has changed my life dramatically since I started about 7months ago now and if I were to stop I think I would slip back into a state of unhealthiness that is terrifying for me. I'm planning for the future. I really loved minivan life but I just disliked the lack of space for a home office, a freezer (I had a fridge already) a touch more storage, and now that I have built my fitness, an ability to include a treadmill. Oh and bike storage that was realistic without blocking access to the back hatch.

I loved my time at the LTVA, however I kept noticing that a lot of what I was doing was complex movements.. much more since I was far more overweight at the time.. but someday as I get older (I'm 36 now) I don't imagine I could live as easily in a minivan and might injure myself more easily. Plus as I ramp up my career in the next few years money will become less of an issue anyways. I view a 1K monthly expense as a net zero given that is what rent and utilities typically cost these days. So if I can be smart and find a new home ie a bus payment that is only 600-800 and afford to drag my feet and build it out slowly with a budget of only $50 bucks to 100 bucks a month then that be 650-900 going to investing in my HOME vs wasted on rent so a massive step forward!

However if my career does not take off as fast then, deffently staying in a minivan and moving to the west coast and living in that and working overnights (as I mentioned in another thread) would be a far better move. Might be a touch to impossible and result in paying a weekly motel 6 rental a few weeks during the summer from the newly tread of "heat domes" that new weather feature is something to consider as well.

I guess my ideal life right now would be to stay in my minivan (instead of this apartment) and just keep working overnights or switch to dayside so I can sleep better.. but I have a dog with me that I WILL NOT PART WAYS WITH, so that is my challenge. Plus I want to figure out a long term goal and build a comfortable life for when I'm older. I still think I'm well into the "minimalist" category but I know that term is subjective. No I don't live out of a backpack, I lived out of a minivan and moved across the country with everything I own paired down to fit into a packed full minivan, and still then I threw out A LOT of junk.

My motivation for minimalism has been to free up more times for the things I value and to throw out the junk I don't need to bring in MORE of the items that improve the quality of my life. I don't view myself as owning things anymore, but owning tools that help me improve the quality of my life.

I think we value different things but many overlaps which may spark our simular thinking but at the same very different ideas... I adored my year of minivan life but much of that time I didn't work. I don't view myself ever retiring anymore.. I feel like for me I want to keep working until I die. Yet, that work likely will be more balanced and part-time hours in a general sense. That Freedom that you describe could be another person's hell if they are have to much lack of structure and discipline and remain in to much of a state of play. Mostly taking about myself. I'm glad you described your goals and accomplishments as it gives me more insights as to how you built your life and your motivation towards the perfect life.

Cheers to your success, you must have a lot of self-discipline to live a fulfilling life without working to obtain money in 4-5 years! Me on the other had I'd think by the 4-6th week I'd be watching sitcom re-runs in the back of my minivan eating cheese puffs and being lazy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking about taking exercise stuff, so I'm working on a stand for my bike, for winter or bad weather lol cuz bike is coming with me anyways, but it can be multi purpose
16649021769782045396715829483701.jpg like Bob says most van life stuff should be!
Edit: I'm sure I'll be able to hike later for exercise, but until I'm confident I am fully healed, lots of hikes far from camp aren't possible for awhile

^ Talk about HEADROOM !
One doesn't have to "catch air" to workout. Bouncing, Marching, or Jogging are also done on the Rebounder, whose main purpose would be to reduce impact on the joints.

LOL ***Also, I'm speaking from the perspective of being under 5'5" so "Headroom" would also be based on the height of the vehicle.

That question about putting treadmills in a Bus might be better answered in a “Skoolie” forum rather than in a forum with the name of Van living.

That question about putting treadmills in a Bus might be better answered in a “Skoolie” forum rather than in a forum with the name of Van living.
You'll probably end up spending more time outside living in a vehicle (of any kind) than living in a house or apartment. I won't question whether or not you need a treadmill, but you might reconsider it for many reasons if only for the electricity involved.

I tried this once, with a non-powered treadmill. The "bounce" you get is very real and quite annoying. If you can get a light enough one, you could put it outside under an awning. That works WAY better.

I picked mine up at a thrift/second hand shop just to see what would happen. I didn't think it would work well, but I was bored and was in a wet cold place for the winter. Within a month it was off at another one. Just be aware that many thrift/second hand shops I came across wouldn't accept gym equipment like treadmills, so if it doesn't work out well, you may have a hard time getting rid of it.

I couldn't imagine trying one of those giant powered ones you see in gyms nowadays, I don't think that would work well at all. If you give it a try, please report back!

P.S. Even though you see dogs exercising on them sometimes, I can tell you mine wanted nothing to do with it, and I'm pretty sure he hated the bounce more than I did!

I don't see why a motorized treadmill would be unrealistic. The ones at my gym recommend 20Amps so that is 1200 watts an hour correct? For one hour usage a day ideally 4 if not 5 days a week that wouldn't be that much power usage from a 400-600 watt system with ample battery storage.
20a will be at 120v so 2400w. There is also starting surge to deal with, this can be several times the running amperage and last longer than the surge rating of most cheap inverters.

This means at minimum a 24v system with an inverter over 3000w.

A 2400w load running for two hours will consume at least 4.8kwh. That means to run for two hours will require four fully charged 100ah lithium batteries, or eight 100ah lead acid batteries. That's just running the treadmill for two hours and nothing else, and then the batteries would be completely dead.

If running lead acid you must charge them fully and maintain extended float every cycle or else the batteries will be damaged quickly. This means a lot of solar for 800ah of lead acid, and again nothing else other than the treadmill is being taken into account.

600w of solar, even if producing a full 600w (which it won't) will make about 3kwh a day, less if the panels are mounted flat, or your in shade, or it's rainy, or cloudy, etc so 1000w of solar would be more realistic.

Not an impossible goal at all, but it will not be cheap or easy.

Last edited: