Has anyone ever put a treadmill inside a bus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put a treadmill inside a bus?

I lived minivan life for a year and I loved it... however since I started living in an apartment again I started going back to the gym and getting into shape and it's been awesome! I don't think I can just depend on going outside and getting exercise. So a treadmill using it 4hours a week would be perfect if I were to upgrade to a full-size or 3/4 size school bus. we're talking 30ft. bus and up.

I'd imagine it would be best placed pointed towards the front right over the rear axle to help with the bus being a "trampoline" with the shocks vs being a solid foundation. Not that concerned about energy consumption given usage be 3-5 hours a week, and the roof has plenty of solar capacity.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has done or tried it before... I'd hate to have to drive to the gym 4 days a week from a camp site so having a treadmill seems logical to me at least...

thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Treadmills are heavy, expensive, use electricity, and take up a lot of space. Is there a specific reason you need the treadmill versus just running outside? I'm also curious if anyone has ever put a treadmill in a van or a bus.

I'm all for having a treadmill for consistency (I'm in the fitness industry). But even the super small fold-up models can pull some current. A dedicated line is reamended for all treadmills, but a good 15A line can be fine. Maybe non motorized? Not a fan, but may be the better option.

This is a super small collapsible treadmill I sell at work but needs power: https://www.johnsonfitness.com/Echelon-Stride-Treadmill-P37238.aspx

I would be surprised if you couldn't get your heartrate up in other ways camping.

Treadmills are heavy, expensive, use electricity, and take up a lot of space. Is there a specific reason you need the treadmill versus just running outside? I'm also curious if anyone has ever put a treadmill in a van or a bus.

Same reason why gyms are so popular despite people having the option to run outside for free.. your more likely to keep doing it if you can run inside in the climate-controlled home away from the elements and animals outside. Plus blacktop trails to jog on don't grow wild in the backlands... and running on the road and shoulder can be quite dangerous. Plus it's nice not to feel like everyone is watching you, plus being able to be near your home and pet can be another comfort as well..

I'm planning for the future, I don't like driving and having a low driving yearly path would be perfect for me and save costs on fuel! Winters in Quartzite summers in Flagstaff / New Mexico If not up to Oregon but that seems quite far. That means I don't have to worry as much about weight, but still, I'm a minimalist so why not bring a treadmill?

I'm all for having a treadmill for consistency (I'm in the fitness industry). But even the super small fold-up models can pull some current. A dedicated line is reamended for all treadmills, but a good 15A line can be fine. Maybe non motorized? Not a fan, but may be the better option.

This is a super small collapsible treadmill I sell at work but needs power: https://www.johnsonfitness.com/Echelon-Stride-Treadmill-P37238.aspx

I would be surprised if you couldn't get your heartrate up in other ways camping.

I don't see why a motorized treadmill would be unrealistic. The ones at my gym recommend 20Amps so that is 1200 watts an hour correct? For one hour usage a day ideally 4 if not 5 days a week that wouldn't be that much power usage from a 400-600 watt system with ample battery storage.

I don't think that's that unrealistic to build into a bus. I'm sure you could get your heart rate up in other ways camping but it's about having a consistent workout that you can build and improve upon slowly by tracking your speed and such.

There are many things I could give up and already have! I haven't used my TV in over 10 years and no longer have one, I haven't owned a microwave in the last 20 years! I am seriously looking to part ways with my desktop computer and downsize to a laptop. Health is important and having a comfortable environment that makes you more likely to work out seems worth it in my eyes.

Maybe once I get to my goal weight and turn my focus on maintaining my weight my views would shift.. anyways I'm mostly just daydreaming about the future and planning ideas to help me narrow down what is realistic and what I can do and how to live my best life with my limited cashflow options. Cheers and thanks for the feedback!

The power consumption surges with treadmills quite a bit, its why they suggest a dedicated line for all treadmills. Its not consistent.

Why not run on trails? Why does it have to be blacktop? By the way, my least favorite path is blacktop. Give me a nice gravel or grassy single track to run on any day. I hike in the White Mountains in NH and I can't count the number of times some young person scampered past me on trails I could barely hike. I call them "crazy trail runners". There is a loop in the Mahoosucs in Maine, Grafton Notch Loop trail. Takes me about 5 days to hike the 37 miles. Some kid I knew ran it in 14 hours.

Think about an alterntive category. You can get tension adjustable cycle units that are very compact, some are meant to be set under a desk so you can improve cardio, muscle tone and burn calories while you are sitting, working, browsing the fourum etc. They are not nearly as heavy or bulky. If your primary goal is burning calories that will work as a suitable subbstitute. No electricity required!

how do ya wanna live your life? yes a treadmill can be in a bus easily. a good sized bus can handle that and I would think that wouldn't be an issue. Be sure to check head space on it if a bigger treadmill kinda thing :) Being a minimalist, like me, WE CHOOSE what few things we DO want, so ya want it, get it and stick in bus and use it :) I am outdoors type so this wouldn't be me, but if you, sure it can be done but just make sure the floor plan fits your bus and your living in it and done deal.

I'm having trouble reconciling "treadmill" with either "minimalism" or "paying down debt."

I can see making it work if it was the #1 top priority in your life (or, say, one of the top three), but otherwise, it seems more like daydream material to me.

Sometimes the things you do to start out on a healthy lifestyle eventually give way to things that require more/different effort. (Just like they recommend getting used to eating more fresh fruit and veg by buying the pre-packaged stuff at first.) Get the habits locked in, and then spend some time switching to new habits and locking those in. Don't try to do this simultaneously with your switch back to van life; focus on one at a time would be my suggestion.

What about some kind of stationary bike instead? You could even rig it to generate a little electricity (instead of using a lot).

I'm mostly just daydreaming about the future and planning ideas to help me narrow down what is realistic and what I can do and how to live my best life with my limited cashflow options. Cheers and thanks for the feedback!

In another thread you mentioned you were deep in debt and working a low wage job. I suggest you dream about things that do not cost $$$, and do not require substantial compromises to "have" and lug around with you. Dream about being free, working only half the year and still living below your means, being in nature in beautiful places, etc. It's the perfect environment for hiking and running outside, IMO.

A simple rig that is just big enough, capable of going the places you want to go, with the things that are essential to you and no more... is perfect. I found I needed a lot less than I thought, and didn't miss a thing... because it was glorious to be free and in nature.

Don't sabotage your chance at freedom by continuing the same habits that got you in this mess...

the OP joined this site in 2018......so....ya know? just support best one can when ya can and let'er go at that....we all have dreams for sure on what it takes and how we can get there I guess!

Why not run on trails? Not all persons can run or even jog. My doctor restricted me from impact exercises. Lots of people have various restrictions so a treadmill might be what they need versus just want.

How many well-intentioned folks buy treadmills, or other home workout equipment, only to let it end up being used as a coat rack after 90 days or less!
Not saying you would be one of those folks, but those are the often-found results of otherwise good intentions!

I lived minivan life for a year and I loved it... however since I started living in an apartment again I started going back to the gym and getting into shape and it's been awesome! I don't think I can just depend on going outside and getting exercise. So a treadmill using it 4hours a week would be perfect if I were to upgrade to a full-size or 3/4 size school bus. we're talking 30ft. bus and up.
Just wanted to see if anyone else has done or tried it before... I'd hate to have to drive to the gym 4 days a week from a camp site so having a treadmill seems logical to me at least...

I have a 40' coach with a Cummings 8000 generator. It could easily handle a treadmill. But when I wanted to workout, I'd drive to a Planet Fitness. I get a higher quality workout there. They have more equipment, better ventilation, multiple entertainment options, and unlimited hot water (though I prefer the privacy and cleanliness of the coach).

Many of us have fitness equipment lying around at home, unused. The justification we used about convenience of being able to workout at home, turned out to be a fantasy. If you've established a routine of going to the gym on a regular basis, don't cease the habit when you become a vehicle dweller.

If you've established a routine of going to the gym on a regular basis, don't cease the habit when you become a vehicle dweller.

I agree... except... if this is a daily routine, then that restricts the living locations a lot. You basically need to live in town.

So many ways to get exercise in the boonies! And you can still get a one of those gym passes that are honored in many places if you wish, and work out a gym once or twice a week. Nice for a real shower also.

In 2019 I acutely injured my right iliopsoas tendon (main tendon pulling leg forward) on a treadmill. I had been enjoying using a treadmill at Planet Fitness. My routine was to walk 30 mins at full incline at 2-3 mph and then walk 30 mins on no incline (flat). The mistake was not warming up, lack of flexibility, getting older, etc.

It took about 3 months before it caught up with me. I had done my incline bit and was back on flat when I suddenly felt a weird twitch go down my right quad. At first I was going to keep walking but decided to get off the machine. It was not until the next morning that I could not stand up straight, and would be a month before I could lay flat on my back with my legs extended. It took about 3 months to get well.

Everyone I know who owns a treadmill, myself included, usually owns an expensive clothes rack too! :) I own one and it hasn't been used in years. I enjoy walking outside instead of walking on a stationary machine. You would only use it an hour or two a day, so in my opinion.....it would be more of a hassle then it's worth. If you can fit it in your rig....all the power to you.

How many well-intentioned folks buy treadmills, or other home workout equipment, only to let it end up being used as a coat rack after 90 days or less!
Not saying you would be one of those folks, but those are the often-found results of otherwise good intentions!
I had a home treadmill back in the day. It took 3 really strong guys to move it downstairs to my place. Why in the world would you want something that heavy in your vehicle?