Has anyone else tried Soylent?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may work okay for some, but I absolutely try to minimize/avoid both soy and canola oil - both are implicated in major health problems. Of course, researching online gets you a lot of Pro and Con arguments. Some claim they are the best thing since man invented bread, some claim they are pure poison. Do your research and make your own determination. I prefer to err on the side of caution, and there are plenty of healthier alternatives. Not that I eat super healthy - I do have my own vices in food. :)

What scares me off is the companies own web page will not list what is in it.

That as well as the cost of a days "food" is $12. For that much I can feed four people three meals with leftovers. I love to cook, and I love food. Drinking 3 meals a day will have to wait until I am in a coma.

I don't see any problems using Soylent in moderation but I'd never use it as a regular meal replacement. Our brains are really set up to require us to chew our food.

"A new study has found that eating powdered food for weeks on end gave mice higher blood pressure, higher levels of glucose in the blood, and higher levels of certain hormones in the blood. That's compared to mice who ate the exact same food, only their food was in pellets, not crushed into a powder."
Link

While I certainly wouldn't try to use it as a substitute for eating real food, I can see its value as a supplement to stretch out food stores in emergencies or as an "extender" when on the road and unable to prepare a full meal. It's just a sport shake.

And people, please, enough with the "I don't know what the hell that is!" and "If I can't pronounce it, I'm not gonna eat it!" declarations after reading a list of ingredients. The vast majority of components (chemicals) in the food you eat and in your own body have big alien scary-sounding names with lots of numbers and hyphens mixed in. That's because they're chemical names, usually IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) names, which are full descriptions of the molecule's composition and structure. A long polysyllabic name does not necessitate that it was a freakish unnatural compound derived from toxic waste in an underground lab staffed by the descendants of Dr. Frankenstein and Sauruman. They're just giving the exact identity of the compounds; whether they're of natural or synthetic origin and whether they're safe or even essential nutrients or not cannot be gleaned from the name unless you know the chemistry in question.

Penn & Teller circulated a street petition calling for a ban of a chemical compound widely used in industry that can be directly be linked to property damage, injury, and millions of deaths every year worldwide, and they got hundreds of signatures to ban this terrible chemical, dihydrogen oxide.

Which is the chemical name for water.

Most conversations I've had here and elsewhere about it don't even get to the point of talking about specific ingredients that are actually in it. They fall into one of two categories:

Them: I'd never eat this because it contains X, which I've heard is really bad for you.
Me: It doesn't contain X.
Them: I'd still never eat it.

or,
Me: Here's an alternative for people who hate buying and preparing food:
Them: I'd never eat it because I love buying and preparing food.

Reducto said:
Most conversations I've had here and elsewhere about it don't even get to the point of talking about specific ingredients that are actually in it. They fall into one of two categories:

Them: I'd never eat this because it contains X, which I've heard is really bad for you.
Me: It doesn't contain X.
Them: I'd still never eat it.

or,
Me: Here's an alternative for people who hate buying and preparing food:
Them: I'd never eat it because I love buying and preparing food.

We all have our druthers.  Me, I utterly avoid asperagus and squash too.  Not for health reasons, just don't like it........     Choice is a wonderful thing.  :cool:

Red and Yellow are not people...

soylent-green.jpg

Reducto,
In one of your posts months ago, you said you were going to get baseline blood tests and then do it again after some time on the mixture. How did that turn out?

I gave in to the temptation of free food at my last job so I was off the soylent for almost 2 months. That job is over so I'm going back on it now. I'll do the tests after I've been on it solidly for a while.

As for the taste, it tastes like milk with a slightly gritty texture. They just updated the formula a bit and it was supposed to smooth out the texture but I still have 2 weeks of the old stuff to get through. They have gotten a lot better about shipping, the last batch took about a day and a half to arrive.