Hard deal to pass on…

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pressdog

Reaction score
Hello I’m a newcomer in a 2008 Honda Odyssey. I just got a cot and made my reflectix window inserts with black cloth on one side, and the more I think about van life the more I’m drawn to it. 

I work in location sound mixing for film productions. I’d love to be able to charge my numerous sound gear batteries overnight between shoot days. 

I found a really good deal on this solar setup:
https://www.renogy.com/400-watt-12-volt-solar-starter-kit/
Along with a Trojan J185 AGM battery. All for $400. The owner says he’s only had it for a few years. 

The panels are 42.5” x 20” x 1.5” —slightly long for my van roof, but maybe not impossible. Has anyone had experience mounting this kit to a minivan?

Also, I plan to search the forums here, but how I can test the equipment to make sure I’m not buying duds? 

Thanks y’all!

Chances are the panels are good, not so much on the battery depending on use and care. The manufacture date may be on the battery. What type of charge controller? Will the cables work for your setup? Any extras?

Thanks for the reply.  Good to know the quality of the panels isn't much of a concern.
This is the charge controller.  
It's part of an entire Renogy solar kit, linked in my original post.  I'm going to call the guy to make sure it's all there, including the Z brackets, before I drive an hour to check it out in person.
My main concern is that the 4 solar panels would cover nearly my entire van roof.  I can imagine this would limit my stealth considerably, and I thought I'd come here to discover what else I should be concerned about.

PressDog, just a heads up. When you connect your system always connect the batteries to the controller before connecting the panels. I had used my portable panel for 6 months disconnecting it when moving it and I fried the controller. When I read up on it on line it was pointed out in several posts. Good luck with your system.

PressDog, just a heads up. When you connect your system always connect the batteries to the controller before connecting the panels. I had used my portable panel for 6 months disconnecting it when moving it and I fried the controller. When I read up on it on line it was pointed out in several posts. Good luck with your system.

One would think that, at this point in time, any quality solar controller would have protection for that situation, in case of a bank disconnect, built in to the unit.

But who would test it out on a quality controller. Maybe one the video stars could do it for the clicks.

I have experienced a disconnect between the controller and the bank due to a catastrophic failure of a watt meter, without the controller being affected. I wasn't right there when it happened, it could have happened over night.