Harbor Freight Predator 4000 Generator review

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went walking and could hear Greg's a half mile away with an actual load on it. This guy didn't have enough of a load to put the juice to it.
Might be better in a doghouse.

There's always been a question regarding how to muffle the exhaust noise. One guy did this:

Now this is a double exhaust, he welded it and so I don't know about the back pressure with 2 exhausts. I admit, I bought a cheap generator from a pawnshop and am also modifying this the same way (Except not welding as I won't spend $800 for more equipment I won't need again)

In the comments, he does say the unit died (This was after 2 years or so I am guessing from the age of the comments) so I guess that you have a choice of buying a replacement every 2-3 years or buying the higher priced generators from Honda.

doubling up the muffler is going to damage the valves with back pressure.....wouldnt it be easier to move your generator farther away if it is noisy?

Ive run Brand name gennys....off brand....and noisy Construction type......
price will always be a factor....but noise can be cured by a simple venturi vent system.....if you add a portable venturi exhaust vent the noise go up , it has nothing to bounce off of to reflect it back........also the exhaust fumes are pushed up and away so it has more plus's for less money....it can be built from cheap electrical conduit if you dont want to purchase a factory model !!

OK...if you say so......if you take a single flow and modify it whether you do it in series or parallel and add 2 equal restrictions you create a back flow.

Thanks for all the replies. This was simply an idea I got and since the gen was cheap ($150 compared to new $500) I thought that this experiment was worthwhile. As for moving the gen farther, can't do so as it's hooked on the back of my van in the doghouse...

The HF generators will never be quiet. The rare one might last more than a year. If you need electric power they are better than not having one.
Tuned exhaust on gasoline engines do not exactly increase back pressure, they work with exhaust pressure waves to evacuate the cylinder as the valve closes.

Well, the experiment failed..Guess welding would have been better..No major loss, gave gen to sis and bought the 2500 watts model....Very quiet compared to your average gen and in the doghouse it'll be better...Live and learn...

We will be putting the 8750 Peak/7000 Running Watts, 13 HP (420cc) Gas Generator in our bus. First we will convert it to LP since we go for long periods of time without needing a generator. We will be carrying 5 or 6 20# BBQ LP tanks on the bus. It will be put in a sound reducing box behind a locked access door. We have heard this Harbor Freight generator running at a festival along with a similar sized "quiet Honda". The Harbor Freight was ever so slightly louder. So slight that we had a hard time figuring out which one was louder. We could stand right next to the generator sitting in the open and hold a conversation with the owner. He had the thing for about 5 years at the time. Never had a problem with it. He used it for powering up at festivals where they do not like loud generators.

This is a bigger generator than we need. Based on extensive research, we plan on running the generator at 50% load. We will also build a homemade Genturi exhaust (customized for the bus) to carry the exhaust fumes up above the roof of the bus. We have nothing on our roof top that would allow the fumes into the bus.

As for LP use, I was trading PMs with someone who did the same conversion and they used 1 (20#) BBQ tank in 2 days @continuous 50% load. That sounds pretty good since we would only use it for a few hours in the evening (watch a movie, cook supper, heat water for showers and chill the freezer and refrigerator down after running down the road all day, charge the house batteries in the process) and then another couple of hours in the morning while we get ready to go again.

Haven't had much luck with the 800W PREDATOR genset, having broke down 3 times and forcing me to exchange it under the HARBOR FREIGHT protection plan (which fortunately costs $0 to exchange), MERCEDES has their new "The Best or Nothing" slogan, for me it's the cheapest or nothing; the cheapest 3200W genset or nothing. Upgrading to the 3200/4000W PREDATOR genset by HARBOR FREIGHT, feels great knowing I can power everything inside the van. Able to run the fridge, 5000BTU Window AC & 10A battery charger; ALL AT ONCE! I have only ran the 3200W PREDATOR genset for less than an hour, for testing purpouses. I really hope I recieve better luck with this larger 3200W genset, not breaking down mid trip like the 800W genset did at the 2015 RTR.

I still plan for a 2000w continous van power system, which includes a bank of deep cycle batteries, 2000w inverter, charge controller, etc; there is just no money for it right now. Eventually I desire to acquire one of those lean, quiet, and inverter power HONDAs or YAMAHA generators (I hear the YAMAHA generators are slightly better than HONDA).

I would have like to have seen that guy in the first video start that Honda lawn mower sitting right next to the generator to compare the two. my bet is you wouldn't even hear the mower. also the generator didn't even pick up speed with that load he put on it. that means one of two things, the load was very small or the gen doesn't go into a low idle mode. the latter is not very good for fuel economy. highdesertranger

compassrose said:
We will be putting the 8750 Peak/7000 Running Watts, 13 HP (420cc) Gas Generator in our bus. First we will convert it to LP since we go for long periods of time without needing a generator...

Ended up buying a Gentron 6000 Peak/5500 running watts LP generator from generatorsnow.com. Did a test run on it before mounting it under the bus. It didn't seem all that loud. I need to cut an access door to the thing and then I will check the sound level at various distances. I put a decibel app on my phone. When I get the info, I will post it for the benefit of others.

Wanderer said:
...bought the 2500 watts model....
How is it? Can you provide a db reading from 3 feet away (there are phone application that emulate a db meter)? I am looking at the PREDATOR 2500w genset as well. It's a clone of the HONDA EU2000 and I know it won't be the same quality as the HONDA but it costs 3 times less than the HONDA.

2015-DEC-17 Update on the 3200/4000w HFT genset, started it up in the last month and ran slightly rougher than last time (stabilized fuel) and has rust on some of the components. Has maybe 75 hours on it with one oil change. No problems in BRC and ran well while travelling.The genset was stored outside covered by a black plastic tarp, no water on it after a rain. I have the HFT Protection Plan so I will return it before July 1st, 2016 or if/when it goes bust, whichever comes first. For full time a smaller genset will be easier to handle.

Here is a new genset that could give HONDA a run for their money, the GENERAC iQ. Wait a little longer until the reviews are in, they claim the GENERAC iQ is quiter and smarter than HONDA. I am really looking at owning this genset, it's $200 cheaper than HONDA as well. http://www.amazon.com/Generac-6866-Ultra-Quiet-Generator-2000-Watt/dp/B0128KR4EE?tag=cheaprvliving-20 .

As for noise, some people even build quiet boxes for the HONDA EU2000.
http://www.amazon.com/Generac-6866-...-2000-Watt/dp/B0128KR4EE?tag=cheaprvliving-20

I've got one of the HF 4000 watt Predators and I love it.Does everything I need done and is very easy on gas.

gsfish said:
Everybody's getting in on the act! Hyundai HY2000si 2200-Watt Portable Inverter Generator.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004919NEK?psc=1

If it compares with Honda quality and repair parts are available it is a bargain at $545. It has a larger motor and continuous power rating.

Guy
That one looks nice. I like the low-power mode, so it uses less gas if you use less electricity. At that price it might not even be worth trying to fix the Onan that came with my RV.