Hanging Rav4 Curtains!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!  I'm having trouble figuring out how to hang sliding curtains for the side and back windows. I've tried several methods and nothing really works, heh.

Maybe I could install some hooks somehow into the upper walls above the side and back doors, except the walls seem pretty thin... would something like small butterfly anchors work to support a thin plastic-covered wire? The panels aren't heavy, each about 30" wide x 26" long.

Any suggestions?  My build is almost done, and this is my last problem before my house is sold in 2-3 weeks! :)

Thanks!

Thanks, interesting ideas... I hadn't thought to look there!

How permanently would the rods stay up with those thin SUV walls? Would I still need butterfly anchors to attach the screws?

When you say thin SUV walls I assume you are talking plastic. Pre Drill the holes so the plastic doesn't split when you put in the screws. If you aren't yanking on the curtains, it should be fine without the butterfly.

The side walls seem to be very thin, fabric-covered plastic that flexes slightly when pressed.  Unfortunately, magnets don't work, my first attempt; and velcro just falls off the fabric, my second attempt.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try a short, eye screw... there isn't a lot of space before it hits metal. Oh well, it's not like the car will be ruined, since a permanent bed frame was built over where the back seats used to be. :D

Ah, Backerboard Fabric... now I know the official name. :)

I appreciate all the contributions!

I am not sure what the official name is. I just call it that because there is a (flimsy/lightweight) board that the fabric is adhered to to help hold the fabrics shape.

Sure wish I could see your interior!  On the passenger side of my van, I have a long bungee cord (with safer plastic hooks) running from the windowshield visor support to the middle door support, where it's joined to a second bungee that runs to a seat belt shoulder harness support where a mid-ship passenger seat used to be.  The cord is tucked into the trim so it doesn't show and is not in the way of the front passenger seat.  It supports two full-length black out curtains that cover the side doors and windows. 

There are two other rods in place:  one behind the front seats, and one for the back door windows.  Both use existing items as attachment points.  The front is a length of gray PVC, attached by running zip ties under wood ceiling trim.  The back rod is an expandable cafe curtain rod zip tied to the center support where the doors close.

I also have an expandable shower curtain rod in there.  It was my first divider curtain attempt, and was surprisingly hard to place.  Maybe that's why I've never taken it down.  I don't use it for anything anymore.

These solutions are hard to explain, and probably don't apply directly to you.  The point is:  keep looking!  Is anything at all screwed into your trim?  Many items in Moby are attached using existing screw holes.

The RAV4 interior is very sleek with no screws anywhere, and mostly covered in fabric. However, my sharp-eyed neighbor did notice two plastic plugs in the rear ceiling near the hatch door, removed them and was able to insert a bolt in each hole. They won't hold a lot of weight, but will hold short curtains strung on thin coated wire.

Now I can run the wire from the driver grab bar, down the side to the back and across the back, then back up to the front passenger grab bar. The windows are being tinted next week, so will run the wire and hang curtains after tinting.

There are two more plastic plugs in the ceiling just behind the front seats that I might be able to use for something, sometime. :)

I find press-in panels work better than curtains in my rav4. Conserves interior space and can be totally removed, returning the car to a stealthy 'unlived-in' appearance. Except for the divider between the front seats and back. There I find the car's steel window sills convenient for attaching super magnets holding a ledge to hang copper tubing on whih I've hung a doubled over black cloth which offers about 95% light exclusion and total privacy after adjusting sides.

JoshPigeonFeather said:
 There I find the car's steel window sills convenient for attaching super magnets 

What do you mean by super magnets? In one of my iterations I used 30-lb magnets to try to hold up my divider curtains. They didn't work - fell down frequently.

I would love to use magnets instead of what I am currently using.