Ham radio - I'm W8BBS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not enough has been said about digital modes of ham radio. Psk31 is one of the digital modes that is popular. There is a web sites dedicated to reports of contacts made to show the propagation distances achievable. As with all radio it's only as good as the receiving end (the other guys radio).

With digital you will get communication out if it's possible. Of course all communication depends on the frequency used per your license. If you have a tech license you are allowed only 10 meters for digital mode. But from reading it looks like that may still work fine to get messages out and back during the daytime.

Overall point is to consider ham radio digital hobby as a way to de-isolate yourself when you tend to be out in the boonies.

https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html is the tracking web site to see how well psk31 is working worldwide on various frequencies.

There are other digital ham radio modes that are not as popular but that will actually transmit and receive better over long distance. Just that you need to get popularized to be useful. You can only use a ham radio mode if someone else out their can receive and respond to it.

Patrick46 said:
So, where do I get these??

Duhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Right after I posted this, I realized that I should go talk to my buddy! He'll walk me through the whole thing! I've got a personal tutor!

That's a great link O.P. and the others. I kin watch these while I eat my lunch!

I'm not a very computer savy guy, and I've always been intimidated by 'techno'-things. (even though I've always wanted to learn more about 'em.)

After reading about Ham radio for a couple days I am committed to getting a GENERAL class license. You see it seems that the email gateways on ham radio are attached to frequencies that require a general license to work. Mostly.

Specifically looking at "psk Mail" and how to use it. Will need to use HF frequencies to get access like most of the sailboats ham radio folks do.

Sure the other option is to use 2 meter and access to email with APRS but that requires a tall (over 30 foot) mast and directional antenna to ensure connections to gateways that are over 50 miles away.

All planning for maximum communication somehow. Without buying a satellite email device.

You should be aware that 2m/440 packet bbs & email links aren't as fast as most landline email, including dialup. I have no idea how fast or slow the mail is for mariners, as I haven't tried that due to extreme expense.

I found that one reason for this observation is that the vast majority of packet radio is stuck at 1200 baud, with maybe 1% using 9600 baud data rates. Again, it's a cost issue. The folks selling such items simply priced themselves out of reach of most folks, thereby contributing to the demise of an other wise excellent mode of communication. Add to this the wide variety of modulation schemes, the need to modify your radio to accept 9600 baud and up, and you can see the only downside of this mode is expense and availability. While you can buy a 1200 baud TNC and compatible radio for $100, you'll have a hard time finding anything at all that's even compatible with higher data rates, as well as finding the TNC for it.

A notable exception to this, of course, is the old Tigertronics modulators, which are plugged into your computer serial or parallel ports, and then hooked into your radios. These can run quite well and cheaply. Any PC will do the job....even an old DOS PC like the handheld HP-95/100/200lx series, or the Omnibook 300 (386sx). I've even used old handheld PC's like the Palm and newer units as terminals.

I'm not trying to discourage you here, but enlighten you as to further options. In an emergency, packet radio can be a life-saver, especially if coupled with APRS and a fly-over by one of the pacsats or ISS. 5-25 watts will make your connection to these birds, and then the entire continent will see your signal in the downlink. Way too cool, in my opinion!

By the way, while a Kantronics TNC will do great work for you in this mode, don't overlook the older micro-TNC's like Heath Hk-21, Tasco, and Pico/Handi-Packeet TNC's, all of which are still top-notch.

Enjoy!

I am tending to use APRS on two meters. Because it has some messaging. Then I add a capable external TNC. The combination works fine while moving.

Right now that seems to work well in combination with cellphone coverage.

When I am stationary I will be using a flagpole under tire base mount and a mast to get about thirty feet height for two meter use. The maximum I hope for is 50 mile coverage to repeaters.

After that I am going to get my general license and use psk31 and try psk mail. Plus try to get good at CW. That should get me coverage.

I took the Element 2 Test today and passed, which got me a Technician License.  Then I took the Element 3 Test and also passed, so I bumped up to the General License.  Of course, I don't know yet what my Call Sign will be, and in point of fact I'm considering trading it in for one of the self-chosen "vanity" call signs when I get it.

Will report back when I know what it is.

Can't say enough good things about HamTestOnline:

https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/login.htm 

Got only one wrong on Element 2 and a perfect score on Element 3.  I wish all my high school and college courses had used this kind of adaptive software for teaching.

Regards
John

John:

Congratulations on doing so well on your tests, and welcome to ham radio. It's the greatest hobby in the world, and now you're part of it!

I also just tested to upgrade to general. And I passed.

The catch with ham radio is that it's costly for the general equipment. You need to figure $1000 for starting off. Between radios and antennas and tools. Will strongly suggest membership in a local club to get the extra exposure for a year.

I live in an apartment with lots of background noise. JT65 on a magnetic loop antenna is the only functioning I am getting so far on 20M band. Sure I can do morse code, and will eventually.

speedhighway46 said:
John:

Congratulations on doing so well on your tests, and welcome to ham radio. It's the greatest hobby in the world, and now you're part of it!

Thank you.

Regards
John

Am just discovering that there are a couple of good (and expensive) morse code decoder and transmitter applications out there. They are called CWSKIMMER and the other is called MRP40. Basically you do not need to learn morse code to use these. In theory. Eventually you will learn enough to get by.

Mentioning this because morse code is a universal requirement to use cheap radios. Or to use low power radios on amateur (ham) radio.

There is also talk of a morse code to text message gateway setup sometime in the near future.

Effectively if you are in the middle of no cell tower service. You can get a message out. And retrieve a message too. How is that for something awesome.

Goshawk said:
. . . The catch with ham radio is that it's costly for the general equipment. You need to figure $1000 for starting off. Between radios and antennas and tools.

While I'm sure you're right if one wants a full rig capable of working HF, VHF, UHF, talking to Timbucktou, etc., let me hasten to add (for the other people reading this - I know YOU know this) that if you only want a way to maintain emergency communications when you're out of range of cell towers, all you need is a VHF or VHF/UHF mobile (12 volt powered) radio.  These can be bought new for between 200 and 400 dollars.  Another hundred or less for an appropriate vehicle antenna.  And all you need for that setup is the Technician License, which is the easiest one to get.

Regards
John

John -- I agree. You can get contact with nearby REPEATER towers. But I looked at a place like the okifinokee swamp recently. Nearest repeater is 50 miles away. So you will need power in your two meter radio (50 to 100 watts) and you will need a way to get your antenna up high. Even with that you still might not hit the repeater tower on the VHF frequencies. That might be $200.

My estimation of $1000 is for various HF equipment that can do SSB and FM and AM. Plus antenna tuner and antenna etc. not trying to scare anyone away. My level of being realistic.

To add, there is also the 2m national simplex channel (NSF) 146.52 MHz. Chances are "very good" that there is always another ham listening on this frequency, or will be in the near future. When traveling on the road I seldom listen to 2m repeaters when I am out of town; but when I'm in my Motorhome I have a radio tuned to the NSF all the time. If someone is within 25 miles of me, chances are I'm gonna hear them. I have a sign on my rear bumper, "146.52". Any person passing me who has a ham license knows what this means.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I ... passed ... the Element 3 Test.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Congratulations, and welcome to ham radio.  Do you know how to look up your call sign?  Your license is granted when your call sign appears in the FCC database.  Most clubs that give the tests enter the results in the FCC database quite soon after the test.  [/font]

Was just looking at how to get a Mexican temporary ham radio license. Looks like you need to speak Spanish and and it costs maybe $25 for the temporary license. Am not sure if you can bring your equipment over the boarder or if your should.

For Canadian there is a mutual reciprocal agreement. You just need to put your province code with a separating slash symbol after your call sign.

Goshawk said:
For Canadian there is a mutual reciprocal agreement. You just need to put your province code with a separating slash symbol after your call sign.

province code, like putting our state letters on the end, like AZ for arizona?

Like /VE3 at the end of your call sign. Depending on which province you are in and transmitting from. You can find a province code chart somewhere.