Ham radio - I'm W8BBS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarmonicaBruce

Reaction score
I'm a licensed amateur radio operator, W8BBS is my call sign. I haven't operated in a few years but will when I get a station installed in my new van. Do we have any other hams here? It's a great hobby. You can meet people over the radio, and they tend to be classy and helpful. It's nothing like CB radio, where everyone uses a fake name and no one knows anything about radio. Anyone can look up my call sign on the FCC database and find out my real name and where I live (i.e., have my mail sent). You have to pass a test to get your license, so hams are generally more knowledgeable than CB operators.

One bad thing about ham radio from a (parked) vehicle is that it's easy to run down your battery, as amateur transceivers can draw a lot of power (especially while transmitting). I've done that while sitting in my car in my parents driveway.

One of the reasons for amateur radio is to provide emergency communications. It could prove useful if one had some kind of emergency on the road.

Back when I was trucking over-the-road, alot of the drivers were switching over to HAM, for those very reasons. (not all the silly BS like on CB's)...not to mention the superior long range transmitting & receiving that HAM's have over CB's.

I did talk on sidebands quite a bit though.

I thought about getting into a HAM station pretty seriously mysself, and have a friend who's very serious about it...but then I quit trucking and pretty much lost interest. (one can have too many interests!!)

I could see getting into this later in life when/IF I slow down. :D

HAM radio doesn't really segway very well with music; it's against the rules to play music over the amateur bands. But it segways very well with van living. Its something to do while bored, a way to find out local information, and good for emergencies. I'm thinking about setting up an impromptu repeater at festivals I attend. I've never heard of that being done, but it could be cool.

There is a ham group that meets every winter in Quartzsite while the RTR is there. Several vandwellers I know are BIG into ham!
Bob

HarmonicaBruce wrote, in relevant part:
"One bad thing about ham radio from a (parked) vehicle is that it's easy to run down your battery...."

My reply:
It doesn't have to be that way. Actually, it's the transmitter that uses a lot of power, but that depends on how much power you use to transmit. I used 5 watts for a number of years and never had any problem reaching out around the world. Africa and Southeast Asia were often difficult, but I also had a mediocre antenna (dipole at 20ft). Modern synthesizer radios use a lot more power on receive than the older versions, as the PLL circuitry uses far more power than the older crystal or VFO's used. Point is: The type of radio you choose has a significant impact on your power budget. Your antenna, rather than power, will determine your range. Antennas also have the nice side-effect of working on receive as well as transmit, so choose (or build) your antenna wisely.

As for a repeater at local festivals, this could easily be accomplished with 1/4-1 watt on transmit by mating a couple of those cheap new chinese imports as a cross-band repeater. Such a setup, with a couple of J-Poles up 20ft or so would have a very nice useable range of 10 miles or so. Just a thought.

Early 70’s, while I was in the army, I had a short-wave receiver. It was interesting listening to the news from radio Peking and radio Moscow compared to the national news on ABC, CBS and NBC.

we are seriously considering switching from cb's to ham. mainly for the ability to reach out from remote locations. we travel in locations were cell phones don't work. I believe within the next 2 years we will have hams. highdesertranger

Those interested in Amateur (Ham) Radio should take note that the morse code requirement no longer exists. Getting a license hasn't been this easy in a long time.

Of course, those that refuse to learn the code are missing out on a very special part of Radio, in my humble opinion. Also, regardless of conditions, nothing gets through the noise like morse code. Nothing. I can't tell you how many times I've seen folks on voice keep repeating themselves endlessly, while that lovely cw note comes through first time, every time with exeedingly rare exceptions. This has the odd result of cw being faster and more reliable for emergency comms than voice. For those that don't know, cw averages 12-25 words per minute among most operators I've talked with, while voice usually flows about 150-200 words per minute. Emergency conditions can really mess this up. Also, "average" is just that....an average. I've talked with folks who could barely do the 5wpm minimum, let alone cruise along at contest speeds, which average 30-35wpm. I simply adjust my sending speed to match the person I'm talking with. In an emergency, slower is truly better, and allows you to be heard and copied by far more people.

I've done cw, sideband voice, radio-teletype, psk-31, and packet radio, including satellite communications. CW remains a favorite. Packet, which is like keyboard chat, has the distinct advantage that someone can leave a message for you when you're gone, and you can read it later and respond, like this message board or an email via radio. I've even connected to the world wide web using this mode to browse (slowly) and send email.

Just thought I'd share a bit more for those interested. Have fun, everybody!

Varmint said:
I've done cw, sideband voice, radio-teletype, psk-31, and packet radio, including satellite communications.
I've done very little other than talk on 2 meter repeaters. There are many different things hams get into.

Your situation is quite common, as a surprising number of Amateurs are limited as to what they can do financially, by restrictive covenants and rules, or other logistics like the size of their lots. I was blessed with a lot just big enough for 40 meter dipoles, but nothing bigger, and I could only go up about 20ft to the apex of those. Still, it worked good enough for the time I got to use it. Everything is now gone or in a few boxes awaiting the future, except for a very portable packet station. Some things, like older technology, simply cannot be replaced with new "stuff", no matter how much you spend.

Your little 2mtr ht can do quite a bit for you these days, especially if you couple it with a netbook running soundcard software such as FLDIGI....it'll do rtty, psk, ax.25 packet, pactor, and more, even connecting with or through satellites. Those new iPhones and similar devices can replace the netbook, too. Enjoy...

I am studying for mine, but have yet to schedule a day to take the test. I have the cheap baofeng ht. If ya'll are near the mogollon rim in az, i'll be listening in on murs 3 and going through the various repeaters, listening off course. Also, one of the guys that I will be with, is a ham operator. woot woot

I am a ham, but I don't publicize my call sign. It's just too easy to look up on google and use that as a starting point for a full blown investigation.

What shreds of privacy are left I find myself clinging dearly to.

When I get my call sign, I won't let it be known to most, only over the radio or to people I know.

I didn't want to start up a new thread, I did a search and came up empty.

Is anyone out there still using CB (Citizens Band) Radio?
I have a unit that's been in storage for a looooong time, so long I don't know if I still have the spec sheets and cheat sheets on the mods that were done to it. I know it was capable of going far off into the single side band arena as well as basic CB band.
Not sure if I want to bother with it or not.

Really don't have much interest in acquiring a ham license.

TC, Mike R

I still use a cb. but my buddy and I are thinking real hard about going to ham. for a cleaner, longer range signal. cb's are good while traveling in a caravan. but when you need to reach out when you are in he sticks ham is better. highdesertranger

CB is good, I plan on keeping it in my comms plans. I plan on having a 3 part system; cb, hf and dual band uhf/vhf radios; mobile stations, base stations and ht radios. I currently am a dealer for inexpensive dual band ht radios and am looking to expand, one to support my family but also to serve.

I have a cb in my enclosed trailer with antenna, just no power source right now, as it's not hooked up to my truck. I do have an ht vhf/uhf handheld.

MikeRuth said:
I didn't want to start up a new thread, I did a search and came up empty.

Is anyone out there still using CB (Citizens Band) Radio?
I have a unit that's been in storage for a looooong time, so long I don't know if I still have the spec sheets and cheat sheets on the mods that were done to it. I know it was capable of going far off into the single side band arena as well as basic CB band.
Not sure if I want to bother with it or not.

Really don't have much interest in acquiring a ham license.

TC, Mike R

I have an older 40 channel CB and a pair of hand-held FRS/GMRS radios. I use the latter for hunting with my buddies. Though now our smartphones do that duty. Haven't used the CB since I left the military - it was of occasional help on long road trips. I will likely include it in my van project, just as an emergency-comm system.

K0RKK here, Tech only and only one radio an ICOM 2720. I got interested when the language on CB got so bad I couldn't stand to have the radio on. About that time the requirement for code went away and it was time to take the test. I have a collapsible mast and a j-pole antenna that I use while camping. I have been able to reach a fellow ham over 70 miles away when I get high enough in the mountains.

Royce, 

I'd like to see your antenna set-up.  I've never gotten beyond the 5/8 wavelength magnet roof mount.  And as all hams know (and a few cb'ers), it's 90% antenna.

Don't feel bad just being a tech.  I met techs who had tv stations and repeaters.  Lots of band width assigned for techs, an infinite amount actually.

I haven't been on the air in years.  I really need to get my station up.