Ham Radio - aka Amatuer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
I have a license for Ham Radio.&nbsp; Am looking at using 2 meters and 440 MHZ again.&nbsp; Or getting into digital communications with PSK31 or RTTY or some other kind of packet radio.&nbsp; Will be considering the HF bands too.<br /><br />Looking at prices of some HF radios and seeing $500 to the sky limit for prices.&nbsp; Looking at an Icom FT-817FD radio used price.<br /><br />2 meters is much less costly.<br /><br />Any other ham radio, digital experimentors here on the discussion board?&nbsp; doing the radio thing?

I'm also a ham radio operator. 2-meter &amp; 70 cm are the most popular bands for ham radio operators. I've have 2 dual band handhelds and a dual band mobile radio. All these radios are 2-meter/70cm.<br /><br />Since you're interested in doing&nbsp;RTTY (Radioteletype) and PSK31 (Phase Shift Keying, 31 Baud) I&nbsp;can only assume that you're licensed as a general or extra class operator.&nbsp;I'm currently a technician studying for my general class.<br /><br />I've had Yaesu&nbsp;HF radios before and $500.00&nbsp;isn't too unreasonable for an Icom FT-817FD radio. It all depends on the condition of the radio as well.<br /><br />I'm not as active as I used to be but I do check into the occasion local net or two.

<span style="font-family: courier new,courier;">I am also a licensed ham operator</span><span style="font-family: courier new,courier; font-size: small;">&nbsp;(KM&Oslash;I).&nbsp; I haven't been active for many&nbsp;years but am thinking about adding&nbsp;a 2 meter transceiver to the van...&nbsp; I used to be&nbsp;a CW nut back in the day.&nbsp; Last night I was watching a TV show where they played some Morse code and caught myself copying it.&nbsp; <br /><br />V.T.</span>

"<span style="font-family: Courier New; font-size: small;">I was watching a TV show where they played some Morse code and caught myself copying it."<br /><br />Check the opening of each episode of the survivor drama, Jerico. It has a message in nice slow Morse that has to do&nbsp; with the plot of that episode.&nbsp; </span><br /><br />Just two meters? I have 160 meters to 440 MHz covered in my van plus two general purpose scanners. You can't know enough, you know. And the HF capability means never out of touch anywhere!

Pikachu711 said:
I'm also a ham radio operator. 2-meter &amp; 70 cm are the most popular bands for ham radio operators. I've have 2 dual band handhelds and a dual band mobile radio. All these radios are 2-meter/70cm.<br /><br />Since you're interested in doing&nbsp;RTTY (Radioteletype) and PSK31 (Phase Shift Keying, 31 Baud) I&nbsp;can only assume that you're licensed as a general or extra class operator.&nbsp;I'm currently a technician studying for my general class.<br /><br />I've had Yaesu&nbsp;HF radios before and $500.00&nbsp;isn't too unreasonable for an Icom FT-817FD radio. It all depends on the condition of the radio as well.<br /><br />I'm not as active as I used to be but I do check into the occasion local net or two.<br /><br />73's de KC7RJE<br />Pikachu711
<br /><br />There is one part of the 10 meter band that Technicians can use for RTTY and PSK31.&nbsp; but you are right that I need to become a GENERAL class ham operator, to allow more use.

VanTrekker said:
<span style="font-family: courier new,courier;">I am also a licensed ham operator</span><span style="font-family: courier new,courier; font-size: small;">&nbsp;(KM&Oslash;I).&nbsp; I haven't been active for many&nbsp;years but am thinking about adding&nbsp;a 2 meter transceiver to the van...&nbsp; I used to be&nbsp;a CW nut back in the day.&nbsp; Last night I was watching a TV show where they played some Morse code and caught myself copying it.&nbsp; <br /><br />V.T.</span>
<br /><br />Just bought a 2M/440 on AMAZON called a Baofeng radio for $60 and thats not a typo.&nbsp; It really is that cheap to get one.&nbsp; They work great.&nbsp; Am not experimenting with the cheapest ways to do PACKET RADIO with that same radio.<br /><br />

Vern M said:
"<span style="font-family: Courier New; font-size: small;">I was watching a TV show where they played some Morse code and caught myself copying it."<br /><br />Check the opening of each episode of the survivor drama, Jerico. It has a message in nice slow Morse that has to do&nbsp; with the plot of that episode.&nbsp; </span><br /><br />Just two meters? I have 160 meters to 440 MHz covered in my van plus two general purpose scanners. You can't know enough, you know. And the HF capability means never out of touch anywhere!
<br /><br />Have to tease you Vern.&nbsp; Some mighty nice expensive radios I see there in that van.&nbsp; Ha ha.&nbsp; Seriously though, what do you do for anti theft measures?&nbsp; Bet many have small flat screen TVs in their RVs, plus satellite boxes.&nbsp; Just wondering what the security measures are for radio theft prevention&nbsp;