hail damage to solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ainley53

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced hail damage to roof mounted solar panels? Suggestions to prevent hail damage to roof mounted solar panels?

They're supposed to be rated to withstand 1" hail.  If you get hit by hail a lot bigger than that, I suppose they will break.  Most likely, so will your windshield and other vehicle glass.  I suppose insurance is the only real answer.

My understanding is that attempts to put lexan and similar shields over the panels just cut down on the output.  Way, way down . . .

I suppose pieces of plywood over them during a bad storm would protect them, though I don't know where you'd carry them the rest of the time, and engineering them to not blow off in a bad storm would be a bitch.

I'd be interested in any ideas others here have.

Regards
John

You could design in some facility on your panel brackets to be able to simply slide the plywood into them over the PV panels. Store the plywood under your bed mattress.

Our neighborhood was hit by two inch hail last year. It dinged up cars, broke windows, shattered siding and beat up our trailer to the point that the insurance totaled it. What wasn't damaged was all of the solar panels on the roofs around here. As John said, by the time they are getting damaged, it's the least of your worries.

Might be easier to engineer the panel to be removed easily, than it would be to engineer an apparatus to hold plywood. It would also mean not carrying plywood.

It would perhaps up the theft factor too, though our supreme Bob says he's never heard of solar panel theft in his years. I take his word. You could, however, put a cam lock on a sliding track, so it would be a matter of only disconnecting wires and unlocking the track with a key to remove your panel in the event of a storm.

Insurance still seems like a better option.

Another idea might be to rig them up to stand on edge so the panel takes only a glancing blow. It would also allow tilting to increase sun exposure as a secondary advantage.

Keep an eye on weather reports. If they say big hail is coming, park under something that will block it.

Have to agree with Reducto on this one. Get the heck out of the weather and or find shelter for your vehicle.

Obviously that might not be possible if your traveling out in the wide open spaces, then again maybe a bridge / overpass.

I certainly don't have room to store wood of any kind that would be large enough to cover the panels but tossing out a blanket might help or something of the likes, jackets etc, anything that might take the beating better than the panel.

I've considered and not given up hope of having my panels tilt but!!! if your going to be in a nasty Hail storm I doubt tilting them up would be a good idea as the winds may very well be the culprit to try and not so nicely remove them from your vehicle altogether now.

I think for me the idea of throwing a blanket up there might be best. If I can keep it tied down!

I've never known anyone's panels to be stolen, but I had a friend whose panels were destroyed by hail. Like everyone has said, it destroyed everything else in town too!! His insurance replaced them, I don't know how that happened.

One viable solution might be backpacker foam pads. Either the 1/2 inch closed cell foam or self-inflating. They roll up easily and small--or can even be part of your bed mattress. I don't know if it would work, but they might absorb enough of the hit to protect the panel. Simple bunngy cord would keep them on I think.

There are only a few places in the country consistently with that kind of hail--maybe just stay away from them!!!!
Bob

Here in Missouri, the golf ball size hail is accompanied by extreme winds. If we are lucky, they are not followed by a tornado.

Missing Arizona right about now.

Listen, if you are in hail bad enough to damage solar panels, please don't get out in it to try and cover your panels.

If you live in an area where hail storms are common, then you should consider protecting your modules. Here are some great ways to protect your solar panel from hail damage:

1. Make sure you have proper installation. Install it at an angle of 45 degrees.

2. Stay tuned for weather forecasts.

3. You can also apply methacrylate on the surface of solar modules.

I hope these points will be helpful for you! ;-)

aw David. You are missed. And thought of, frequently

harish00000 said:
1.  . . . Install it at an angle of 45 degrees.

3. You can also apply methacrylate on the surface of solar modules.

Why?