Haggling for extras with cargo trailer purchase

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
I'm finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a 7x12 tandem-axle cargo trailer. The list price is $4350.

Recently I came across the company's huge PDF list of options and realized there were quite a few things I needed that aren't included in that price. I don't want to wait 6 weeks+ for them to build one and there's one in stock now on their lot.

So which item(s) below do you think I could ask to be thrown in free?

-Spare tire (205x15 radial)...$115

-Non-power roof vent...$64 (I would have to install it)

-RV latch for side door...$40

-Scissors-type stabilizer jacks....$235

I think they are asking to much money for those, except maybe the RV door lock. is that installed? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I think they are asking to much money for those, except maybe the RV door lock. is that installed? highdesertranger

Yeah, I agree the prices are high but if I get them thrown in it wouldn't matter.

I mentioned the RV latch and he said it was 'labor intensive' and I took that to mean I would be charged to install it, so I don't know.

Those prices are for items installed at the factory. The price for the jacks is high I think because there's labor to install them?

Also, it seems to me that every trailer should include a spare. I bet they would throw one in on most sales if people would balk at buying the trailer without one.

John61CT said:
Latch and tire

That's probably all I could hope to get for 'free' as I've read that the trailer dealers won't budge much. Won't hurt to ask though. I've floated a loan at my credit union, so I'm ready to wave cash.

The vent and jacks I can get off Amazon at reasonable cost.

John61CT said:
Latch and tire

That's what they agreed to. It's $150 less because I went with the bull-nose version instead of a V-nose so I can carry LP tanks on the tongue.

Hope to pick it up Thursday.

^
No, not yet. My van is in the shop now and I will be towing the trailer with a U-Haul pickup to a storage facility.

It will be a pretty flat trip and the trailer will be empty, so I don't think I'll even hook up the brakes.

The empty weight is 2040 lbs.

Glad you mentioned that though because I will check with U-Haul to see what they sell and what they charge to hook up a controller.

BTW: When they say 'hitch height', where do you measure from? From the top of the ball? Or at the bottom?

slow2day said:
BTW: When they say 'hitch height', where do you measure from?  From the top of the ball?   Or at the bottom?

The U-haul 'standard' is to measure from the ground, up to the center of the ball. I have no idea if that is an actual standard, but since you are dealing with a U-haul store it would seem to be the one to use.