Which cargo trailer would you choose?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rygolf25

Reaction score
[font=Georgia,]Hello everyone! I've been reading a ton of the posts on here and truly appreciate all of the advice people are willing to give.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]I am buying a cargo trailer to convert into a family camper and I think I have narrowed it down to two brands/dealers. I will be installing insulation, wood cabinets and bed frames along with a few other things we want but nothing over the top or too much weight.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]These are the two options and are roughly the same amount (right around the $4k mark). With that said, is one better than the other in your opinions? I really appreciate the help!!![/font]

[font=Georgia,]Pace Journey SE Enclosed Trailer[/font]
[font=Georgia,]JV7X12SE2 – SE Series Trailer[/font]
[font=Georgia,]6’6” Interior Height[/font]
[font=Georgia,]3500# Axle with Electric Brakes and DOT breakaway kit[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Double Rear Doors with extra hinges on the doors[/font]
[font=Georgia,]32” Side Door with RV Style Flush Lock[/font]
[font=Georgia,]16” on center wall cross members[/font]
[font=Georgia,]16” on center floor cross members[/font]
[font=Georgia,]3/4” Drymax Flooring[/font]
[font=Georgia,]3/8” Drymax Wall Liner[/font]
[font=Georgia,]One Piece Aluminum Roof[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Crank up roof vent with 12V Fan[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Bonded .030 Exterior Skin in Customer’s Choice of Available colors[/font]
[font=Georgia,]12V Dome Light with Wall Switch[/font]
[font=Georgia,]2 – 30” X 15” Tinted Slider Windows with Screen[/font]
[font=Georgia,]New 15” Radial Tires on Steel Rims[/font]
[font=Georgia,]LED Exterior Lights[/font]
[font=Georgia,]ATP Nose Trim[/font]
[font=Georgia,]24” ATP Rock Guard[/font]
[font=Georgia,]2” Coupler[/font]
[font=Georgia,]7 Pin RV Wiring Connector[/font]
[font=Georgia,]3 Year Manufacturer Warranty[/font]
[font=Georgia,]$4382[/font]
[font=Georgia,]
2018 H&H SFT Flat-top single axle[/font]

[font=Georgia,]4" tube steel frame[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Formed channel steel 24" on center crossmembers[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Full tubular steel 24" on center wall uprights[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Full tubular galvanized 24" on center ceiling supports[/font]
[font=Georgia,]30" v nose[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Flat .024 Aluminum slightly sloped roof[/font]
[font=Georgia,].024 aluminum sheeting exterior, rivetless with 3m VHB tape[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Silver exterior[/font]
[font=Georgia,]6'6" height[/font]
[font=Georgia,]24" aluminum tread plate with extruded trim[/font]
[font=Georgia,]2000lb rated swivel jack[/font]
[font=Georgia,]15" 6 ply radial tires on 15" wheels[/font]
[font=Georgia,]3500lb drop spring idler axle with EZ lube hubs w/ electric brakes[/font]
[font=Georgia,]4-prong flat trailer plug[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Full LED slimline LED taillights[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Conduit enclosed wiring[/font]
[font=Georgia,]32" side escape door with RV style flush lock[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Double rear doors [/font]
[font=Georgia,]3/4" engineered wood sheet flooring[/font]
[font=Georgia,]5.2mm wood with aluminum channel transitions[/font]
[font=Georgia,]12v dome light w/ switch on fixture[/font]
[font=Georgia,]20" x 30" drivers side window[/font]
[font=Georgia,]spare tire and mount (internal)[/font]
[font=Georgia,]5 Year Frame, Tongue & Crossmember Warranty with 1 Year Cargo Body Warranty[/font]
[font=Georgia,]$4075[/font]

I currently own a Hyundai, Santa Fe that I am planning to go full time in as soon as the sale of my house closes.  It can pull 3500 pounds, and handle 300 pound tongue weight.  The single axle enclosed trailers are what I have been shopping for.  I like the V nose versions because of the slightly extra internal space and they seem like they [V nose] might help reduce drag.  I've been looking at bare bones units, no windows or other enhancements beyond a LED light and small vents.  ... short answer, I'd pick the second one because of the V nose and price tag.  But, that's just me ... no real experience behind me to back up the choice.

Thanks for the reply. Both are actually V-nose as I agree, pulling it will help with fuel economy.

The main differences I see is that the Pace has 16" cross members vs. the H&H that has 24". Also the Pace has .030 aluminum exterior while the H&H has a .024 aluminum exterior. Not a huge difference but still a difference. Otherwise they are almost identical. Ugh, tough choice.

I just didn't know if anyone had experience (good or bad) with either brand.

Thanks!

NoMadYesHappy said:
I currently own a Hyundai, Santa Fe that I am planning to go full time in as soon as the sale of my house closes.  It can pull 3500 pounds, and handle 300 pound tongue weight.  The single axle enclosed trailers are what I have been shopping for.  I like the V nose versions because of the slightly extra internal space and they seem like they [V nose] might help reduce drag.  I've been looking at bare bones units, no windows or other enhancements beyond a LED light and small vents.  ... short answer, I'd pick the second one because of the V nose and price tag.  But, that's just me ... no real experience behind me to back up the choice.

By the way, you have taken some AMAZING pictures when I checked out your flickr account. Good luck with your build and venturing out!!!

rygolf25 said:
Thanks for the reply. Both are actually V-nose as I agree, pulling it will help with fuel economy.

The main differences I see is that the Pace has 16" cross members vs. the H&H that has 24". Also the Pace has .030 aluminum exterior while the H&H has a .024 aluminum exterior. Not a huge difference but still a difference. Otherwise they are almost identical. Ugh, tough choice.

I just didn't know if anyone had experience (good or bad) with either brand.

Thanks!

For me, the added posts and thicker skin add weight...something I'm trying to protect my little Hyundai from.  I'm not planning on doing any rock climbing and resources are finite ... so, for me cost and weight are pretty big influences.

Thanks for the kudos RE my photos!  Good luck with your choice!  For what it's worth ... I feel your pain!

As far as weight,  the single axle trailers usually only have a 2990lb GVWR anyway, so you wont be exceeding the towing capacity of your vehicle.  I just placed the order for my trailer, and I paid for the upgrade for the 16" OC floor members and the .030 GA steel.

I have heard good things about the Pace brand.....don't know much about H&H.

I bought a Pace that is very close to the one you describe. Barn doors in back, RV side door, added 6 inches of height and two 15 x 30 Windows. I replaced the roof vent with a fantastic fan and I am insulating it now. It has smooth walls a V front with the diamond plate and it is a very close color match to my truck. So far the only thing I wish was different is the front jack. With the trailer hooked up to the pickup I can't open the tail gate fully without hitting the jack. I will look at changing the jack in a couple of months to a quarter turn stow type. I bought mine less than a year ago.

Latest posts