Gym: exercising, showering, and...doing your laundry.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luisafernandes

Reaction score
Along with the exercise and a nice endless hot shower, I figured that while in the shower I can wash my gym clothing with laundry soup I keep in a small bottle.
The pool at the gym provides a nice form of exercising, along with a canister where people can put their swim shorts in. You just close the lid and let it spin for a few seconds. They come out almost dry! I do the same with whatever I'm using that day, and later I hang it to dry in the trunk area of my van.
Just an idea!

Yeah, my gym also has that thinga-ma-jigit that closes and spins around for drying small pieces of clothing, such as swim shorts. I haven't used it myself, but I see others doing it. I'm a little hesitant to use it for fear I might catch someone's "cooties", haha. I always take my laundry and shirts to my dry cleaner shop that charges me by the pound for "wash and fold" laundry, and something like $1.75 for each shirt dry cleaned and ironed. So a bag of say 10 to 12 pounds of assorted laundry plus 5 or 6 shirts usually costs me around $20 to $25 each visit. Heck, I'd rather pay the dry cleaners the fee versus sitting in a laundry mat for hours and hours. One day when I'm retired with less income, I might break down and actually go to the laundrymat, but until that day arrives, I'm pretty much always paying around $25 every week for dry cleaning and wash/fold laundry.

Luisafernandes said:
Along with the exercise and a nice endless hot shower, I figured that while in the shower I can wash my gym clothing with laundry soup I keep in a small bottle.
The pool at the gym provides a nice form of exercising, along with a canister where people can put their swim shorts in. You just close the lid and let it spin for a few seconds. They come out almost dry! I do the same with whatever I'm using that day, and later I hang it to dry in the trunk area of my van.
Just an idea!

I found that drying my swimsuit is a pain. Although I like swimming I've switched to using the exercise equipment instead during my visits.

I'm falling in love with swimming! Before last week my technique for the freestyle was all wrong and I couldn't make it across a 25 meter pool. Monday I made it across 42 times. I still haven't been able to turn and go back across, but soon I'll be doing that too.
Monday and Tuesday I averaged 1minute 50 seconds per 100 meters. Yesterday 1:40.

I sometimes jump in the jacuzzi at the gym. I can't stand that chlorine smell, so I usually shower with my swim trunks on and use lots of soap to wash the chlorine off. After showering, I then use the blow dryer at the gym to dry off the swim trunks for a few minutes. I then hang the trunks on a ceiling rack inside my van to completely dry off a few hours later.

My Tuesday swim. Before last week I could not, ever, do that. I swum more the last three days than in my entire lifetime. : )

caseyc said:
I sometimes jump in the jacuzzi at the gym. I can't stand that chlorine smell, so I usually shower with my swim trunks on and use lots of soap to wash the chlorine off. After showering, I then use the blow dryer at the gym to dry off the swim trunks for a few minutes. I then hang the trunks on a ceiling rack inside my van to completely dry off a few hours later.

The pool I go to barely has any chlorine smell at all.

Hardly any chlorine? Hmm, I don't know if that's a good thing or bad, haha! The stench of chlorine fills my van even after I wash the sucker with lots of soap. That's why I have a bunch of swim trunks so I can simply throw the dirty ones in a nylon laundry bag and use another.

It's a big name club on the East coast, and they monitor the water every 15/30 minutes, so I think it's ok.

Hmm I've not wanted to primarily dry my trunks inside the van as I'm always worried about moisture building up. On a vaguely related note a Target in my area had a twin size mattress cover (encloses the whole mattress and zips shut) that's been on clearance for a little while. I broke down and got it ($25) and feel like it was a worthwhile purchase. It's other two features are to help with allergies and bedbugs, neither of which I think are an issue.

Back on topic... looks like you had the pool to yourself. Only time I see the one here that empty is before 5am

riffraff said:
I found that drying my swimsuit is a pain. Although I like swimming I've switched to using the exercise equipment instead during my visits.

Get a nylon (polyester) set of trunks and they will dry very fast. Anything cotton or cotton blend will take a lot longer.

If you're over 50 check the senior centers for showers. The one here is 13 bucks per yr and one of the six locations is a gym with showers. I can use my membership at any of them and eat breakfast for $1.50 or get a nice hot meal with veggies and drink for $3.50. Also, the centers offer bulletin boards to post for work and crafts and classes on just about anything to help you meet and network.

inspireddirt said:
If you're over 50 check the senior centers for showers......

That is BRILLIANT. Thanks for sharing.

I found a health club near me that offers access several different ways:
- Single day use.
- punch-card, with 4 days on it
- monthly fee (highest cost)(the two above are low priced in hopes of getting new members)
- yearly membership fee.

BUT, what I really like about this club is that they:
- serve free coffee (till the large pot is gone, mid-morning)
- give free hand towels upon entry
- have TV lounge w WiFi (at the front desk)
- hot tub, pool, sauna, machines, free-weights, spin class, yoga (HEY, Yoga is a GREAT thing for anyone that is cramped up, old, or need to work on their range of motion or posture -- like I do.)
- and of course SHOWERS, praise be.

Nope, no laundry, though I will soap up upper body and rinse off before removing swim suit, and wring it out. It is dry and ready to use the next day.

Me, I'll go in twice in a single day, sometimes
(and of course the yoga instructor is jaw-dropping amazing)

What is surprising is that a chlorine bleach smell usually indicates not enough free chlorine for the organic load in the water. Same with drinking water.

Luisafernandes said:
Just an idea!

Glad someone else has made this suggestion.

Back when I was actually homeless and worked at McDonalds, my only bill was a monthly gym membership that I used religious for showers, exercise and washing clothes. Sometimes they even had free food.

It's a great option if you can afford 30 to 40 a month extra in your budget.

The number one reason though is hot showers and if it is a 24 hour gym, they generally don't care who parks in the parking lot.

Buy MMA board-shorts. They're made out of ballistic nylon, designed to endure MMA fighting/training. And they dry out real fast from just walking around after getting out of the pool. Rashguard for the top are the same also.

Washing clothes at the gym is really abusing the facilities though and not something other guests likes seeing. There are certain etiquettes....like people wearing street clothes while working out. Laundromats can't be that expensive. Worse one I saw is some old guy dyeing his damn hair in the sink. Splotches and splatters of black hair dye was all over the place. I told him he can't do that shit...it's f'ing gross....and I was going to call the manager, which I did.