Greetings from Denmark

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
Hello to you all over there :)
My name is Maxine (49 years old) and I am writing you from Denmark. A small country in the northern europe that is very flat and with a lot of rules :-I
I have always had this need to travel, experience other people and to be on the move.
NOW I want to do it. I want to find a high van and travel the beautiful USA, see your nature and meet you with a smile.
How do I prepare that from Denmark?
I see lots of videos online. I read a lot of your very good stories. I think a lot about how I would like it.
But....:
Finding, testing and buying the right van from Denmark....?
Finding places and people that will learn me about stealt and nature living....?

We are 2 women for 2 weeks and after that I am going on alone. 

We would like to participate in the next Rubber Tramp Randezvous. (In january 2017 i think?) But before that I need to find a high van and have some start help.
Will you please help me??

Maxine said:
 Denmark: A small country in the northern europe that is very flat and with a lot of rules :-I

Welcome Denmarkian! I don't think they will be using your description on any travel brochures real soon...   :)

Sounds like you have an adventure planned, how about some more details?

1) do you have somebody in US to act as your agent to purchase the vehicle?
2) Where do you plan to begin your journey?
3) Are you looking for a finished RV, a conversion van, or an empty shell to build yourself?
4) do you have somewhere to stay during the transition to buying and getting mobile?
5) What's your budget? Many problems disappear when you throw money at them...   ;)
6) What are the laws about foreigners purchasing, registering and insuring vehicles?

Welcome aboard the CRVL Van Dwellers forums Maxine !
To add to the questions already posted by Brad...........
Are you an American citizen that happens to be in Denmark or are you from Denmark ?
If not a citizen , are you planning on becoming one?
What is your timetable for when you expect to arrive?

Welcome. I am not sure how you have to go about it in the US but backpackers do it all the time so it is doable, I have bought vehicles in three different countries and each time I needed an address, I bought two before I arrived, one off Ebay in Melbourne Australia and one off Craiglists in Vancouver Canada. I had a friend in Melborne that I transferred money into his account and he paid for it after arranging with the seller to deliver it to his place, it was a bit of a hassle to use my liscence and his address but managed. In Vancouver I did the same but with a downpayment only and paid the rest when I arrived and inspected the vehicle which I bought two hours after arriving and slept in it the first night. In NZ I needed an address as well, I bought this one after I arrived, so you will likely need an address. Some states are better to buy in then others due to rust on vehicles, insurance etc....good luck I would look on packpackers sites where young people travel around or lonely planet or other travel books like them for the ins and outs of this issue. Many people do it so there is a way to do it, some rules may need bending a little. good luck

My first thought for you is that there are companies (several in the U.S.) that rent out campervans and RVs. These are not usually cheap but some of the van companies have simpler vans that cost less than a company like CruiseAmerica that rents out mainly Class C RVs.

If you do a Google search for a phrase like "camper van rentals" you can find several websites for companies renting from several major cities. So the city that you fly into will make a difference in where you look. The Eastern United States will have much less free camping than the western states -- do you know which sites you want to see the most? If you have a specific location in mind, that should help narrow down places to rent from OR help you find someone knowledgeable nearby who might be able to help you find a van to buy.

Even if you rent for only a week or two, that would get you started and give you some time to look for something for the longer situation. You did not say how long you were going to stay and travel after your friend leaves.

I bet those rental sites will also tell you the rules for getting a temporary U.S. driver's license and such.

Welcome! My grandmother's name was Maxine and she was Danish. :) Enjoy your time traveling here. :)

Welcome!! I think coming for the RTR is a very good idea!! But January is a poor time to try to see the USA. It's possible the weather could be terrible everywhere here at once!! Personally I think May or October are very good times since it will be cooling off and the crowds much less. If not then June would be my third choice

How long are you going to be here? Is a rental an option? Here is a post I did on renting camper vans
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/renting-camper-van-roof-top-tent-off-grid-living/
Bob

If you need to buy here's what I'd do:

1) watch ebay and craigslist
2) also, check for truck rentals (U-Haul, Penske) as they are generally very new, low milege rigs--may not need an inspection.
3) also check at RV rentals when they are reducing the older rigs in their fleet. They often have the very short Class Cs (18 foot) that would be perfect for you
4) when you find one your interested in, call the (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota etc.) dealer in that town and ask if you can pay for a pre-purchase inspection over the phone.
5) Contact the seller and see if he will take it in for the inspection. If he will, call the dealer and pay. If he won't hang up and find someone who will.
Bob

Wow and thanks to all of you for the nice answers. I needed som contact and help and got it. Love it :)

BradKW:
1: I dont know anyone in USA. Have been there once for many years ago for a Scollsawing Fair. Thats all I know of your wonderful country :)
2: I would like to participate in the RTR (near Phoenix?)  that I think is in January? after that I am free to go anywhere. Want to see it all :)
3: I dont have tools or a workshop so I need to find a Van that is ready to live in. It is ok if it needs thinks to do inside, me and my wife is very good at doing thinks, but we dont know anything about making a car run. So the car needs to be ok!
4: I dont have anywhere until we have found a car, Ideas is welcome.
5: There need to be money for flight, time before finding a van and making the van ready. I dont know how much it all is, but I am working to get as many money together as possible and the well see.
How much should I use for at used but ok small RV or converted Van? i dont know. Help me :)
To live, insurence, Internet, gas.... I have about 1000,-$ a month.
6: Good question, I need to look into that. I´ll be back :)

rvpopeye:
I am Danish but in love with USA. I need to take ½ year on the road to test if my love for your country is longlasting. Well see from there!

If the RTR is in January, We will arrive about at that time. My Calender is open :)

Flying kurbmaster:
If I need an address, I need help. 
Drivers licens, upps :), I´ll look into that. I think I need to make an American one? I have a Danish but maybe that is nt enough?
I only want to be at warm places, I dont like cold, so I think it is a car from the southern of USA I will need to find. I can land in Las Vegas or Los Angeles and then go out from there! Any ideas?

WriterMs:
Thanks for the tips. I´ll look into that.
My wife will stay for about 2 weeks and I think I need 6 months to get a reel fealing for your country. It also depends on the visa. Can I get one for 6 month?

Gigi:
Hi and thanks. I hope to meet you somewhere over there, for a cup of coffey :)

akrvbob:
Hi Bob and thanks. In Denmark it is Winther in January and I dont like cold weather. I hope it is not to cold in Phoenix at that time? i will be driwing to warmer weather after the meeting then :)
Number 2: I dont understand the words, sorry. U-haul, Penske. Dont I need a car to have in front of those hings?

To ALL of you:
Thanks for all your good adwises. Now I have stuff to look into and to learn. We have time before January so i think it is possible to get it all together. I am looking so much forward to seeing you all over there.
Sun and big smiles to you all from Denmark
Maxine

BradKW said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Wow and thanks to all of you for the nice answers. I needed som contact and help and got it. Love it :)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]BradKW:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1: I dont know anyone in USA. Have been there once for many years ago for a Scollsawing Fair. Thats all I know of your wonderful country :)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]2: I would like to participate in the RTR (near Phoenix?)  that I think is in January? after that I am free to go anywhere. Want to see it all :)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]3: I dont have tools or a workshop so I need to find a Van that is ready to live in. It is ok if it needs thinks to do inside, me and my wife is very good at doing thinks, but we dont know anything about making a car run. So the car needs to be ok![/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]4: I dont have anywhere until we have found a car, Ideas is welcome.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]5: There need to be money for flight, time before finding a van and making the van ready. I dont know how much it all is, but I am working to get as many money together as possible and the well see.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]How much should I use for at used but ok small RV or converted Van? i dont know. Help me :)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]To live, insurence, Internet, gas.... I have about 1000,-$ a month.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]6: Good question, I need to look into that. I´ll be back :)[/font]

Welcome Denmarkian! I don't think they will be using your description on any travel brochures real soon...   :)

Sounds like you have an adventure planned, how about some more details?

1) do you have somebody in US to act as your agent to purchase the vehicle?
2) Where do you plan to begin your journey?
3) Are you looking for a finished RV, a conversion van, or an empty shell to build yourself?
4) do you have somewhere to stay during the transition to buying and getting mobile?
5) What's your budget? Many problems disappear when you throw money at them...   ;)
6) What are the laws about foreigners purchasing, registering and insuring vehicles?

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard the CRVL Van Dwellers forums Maxine !
To add to the questions already posted by Brad...........
Are you an American citizen that happens to be in Denmark or are you from Denmark ?
If not a citizen , are you planning on becoming one?
What is your timetable for when you expect to arrive?

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]rvpopeye:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I am Danish but in love with USA. I need to take ½ year on the road to test if my love for your country is longlasting. Well see from there![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If the RTR is in January, We will arrive about at that time. My Calender is open :)[/font]

flying kurbmaster said:
Welcome. I am not sure how you have to go about it in the US but backpackers do it all the time so it is doable, I have bought vehicles in three different countries and each time I needed an address, I bought two before I arrived,  one off Ebay in Melbourne Australia and one off Craiglists in Vancouver  Canada. I had a friend in Melborne that I transferred money into his account and he paid for it after arranging with the seller to deliver it to his place, it was a bit of a hassle to use my liscence and his address but managed.  In Vancouver I did the same but with a downpayment only and paid the rest when I arrived and inspected the vehicle which I bought two hours after arriving and slept in it the first night. In NZ I needed an address as well, I bought this one after I arrived, so you will likely need an address. Some states are better to buy in then others due to rust on vehicles, insurance etc....good luck I would look on packpackers sites where young people travel around or lonely planet or other travel books like them for the ins and outs of this issue. Many people do it so there is a way to do it, some rules may need bending a little. good luck

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Flying kurbmaster:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If I need an address, I need help. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Drivers licens, upps :), I´ll look into that. I think I need to make an American one? I have a Danish but maybe that is nt enough?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I only want to be at warm places, I dont like cold, so I think it is a car from the southern of USA I will need to find. I can land in Las Vegas or Los Angeles and then go out from there! Any ideas?[/font]

WriterMs said:
My first thought for you is that there are companies (several in the U.S.) that rent out campervans and RVs. These are not usually cheap but some of the van companies have simpler vans that cost less than a company like CruiseAmerica that rents out mainly Class C RVs.

If you do a Google search for a phrase like "camper van rentals" you can find several websites for companies renting from several major cities. So the city that you fly into will make a difference in where you look. The Eastern United States will have much less free camping than the western states -- do you know which sites you want to see the most? If you have a specific location in mind, that should help narrow down places to rent from OR help you find someone knowledgeable nearby who might be able to help you find a van to buy.

Even if you rent for only a week or two, that would get you started and give you some time to look for something for the longer situation. You did not say how long you were going to stay and travel after your friend leaves.

I bet those rental sites will also tell you the rules for getting a temporary U.S. driver's license and such.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]WriterMs:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the tips. I´ll look into that.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My wife will stay for about 2 weeks and I think I need 6 months to get a reel fealing for your country. It also depends on the visa. Can I get one for 6 month?[/font]

akrvbob said:
If you need to buy here's what I'd do:

1) watch ebay and craigslist
2) also, check for truck rentals (U-Haul, Penske) as they are generally very new, low milege rigs--may not need an inspection.  
3) also check at RV rentals when they are reducing the older rigs in their fleet. They often have the very short Class Cs (18 foot) that would be perfect for you
4)  when you find one your interested in, call the (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota etc.) dealer in that town and ask if you can pay for a pre-purchase inspection over the phone.
5) Contact the seller and see if he will take it in for the inspection. If he will, call the dealer and pay. If he won't hang up and find someone who will.
Bob

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]akrvbob:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Hi Bob and thanks. In Denmark it is Winther in January and I dont like cold weather. I hope it is not to cold in Phoenix at that time? i will be driwing to warmer weather after the meeting then :)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Number 2: I dont understand the words, sorry. U-haul, Penske. Dont I need a car to have in front of those hings?[/font]

Would it be cheaper to buy a van when you get here? I just joined but had to say Hi to Denmark. I haven't been there but if I could afford it I would be. I very much admire the Scandinavian countries I am (gasp) in my 70s and have camped years ago and then later lived and traveled in a big motor home. The traveling was good, the partner not so much. I too am van shopping (used) and going to roam around. Our country as you know is large and varied. The south and mid west are VERY religious but mostly friendly. Many guns, don't be too trusting..Not as safe as you folks are. If you can, go to Calif, WA, Puget sound (Seattle) and try to travel in the East. Vermont, Maine, Mt Desert Island. I want to go back to both. I also want to attend the Rubber Tramp get together. I hope I will see you there.

Hi Peachykeen
Thanks for your greeting.
Let me know if you see more than one good van :)
I do want to participate in the Rubber Tramp meeting, but else, I can go anywhere and want to se lots of your big country.
Yes Denmark is an absolute beautiful country, peacefull and very lovely. But if you need to feel free, go where ever you want and dont want anyone to eyeball you, the country is too small.
And VERY expensive. You have no freedom to sleep in your car, take your house on weels and go. The law says that you MUST sleep in camping parks, and they are not cheep at all.
And for me is most importend, I cant stand the cold in winther. So at that time I will visit your warmth :)

Maxine

Maxine said:
Hi Peachykeen
Thanks for your greeting.
Let me know if you see more than one good van :)
I do want to participate in the Rubber Tramp meeting, but else, I can go anywhere and want to se lots of your big country.
Yes Denmark is an absolute beautiful country, peacefull and very lovely. But if you need to feel free, go where ever you want and dont want anyone to eyeball you, the country is too small.
And VERY expensive. You have no freedom to sleep in your car, take your house on weels and go. The law says that you MUST sleep in camping parks, and they are not cheep at all.
And for me is most importend, I cant stand the cold in winther. So at that time I will visit your warmth :)

Maxine

Hi Maxine, I am always interested in what people outside the U S think and how things look to them. Many years ago a girlfriend met a man from Sweden who was skydiving in Florida. She went back to Sweden and met his mother and liked it very much but in the end she could not take the cold and needed to be able to see palm trees. It is always warm somewhere in this country so a house on wheels is good. You have found a very good web site. There is so much help and information here it is nearly overwhelming but I am working my way around it. I am in Texas for now and checking mostly Craig's  list, the difficult part is getting a mechanic to check something out. There are scams there but its a very useful resource. I am only looking to spend $10,000 or less so that makes it more difficult. I am not looking at anything with a Ford Engine. I got good help on that here.  Millie

If you find a Dodge (or Ford or Chevy) van you like, call the closest Dodge (or Ford or Chevy) dealer to the van and ask if they will do a pre-purchase inspection of a van? If they will, then call the owner and tell him you have already arranged for the dealer to inspect the van for you. Will he take it to them and drop it off? If he will, go for it. If he won't, drop him from your list of potential vans.

In America there are companies that rent vans and then sell them after a few years of service. They will be fairly low mileage and well maintained. You might want to start with them, if they are in your budget. Two big ones are U-Haul ad Penske. That is the company name. In fact you can look them up inline and find their inventory. Here are their box trucks in LA, where you may fly into:

https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trucks-for-Sale-near-City-Of-Industry-CA-91744/713039/

Here are Penske vans for sale:
http://www.penskeusedtrucks.com/search-inventory.html

Here is a place in LA where they sell ton of vans:
http://www.famvans.com/

Here are Enterprise vans for sale:
http://www.passengervansales.com/?utm_source=rideshare&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=UsedVanLink

Tell us where you are flying into, and some of the nice folks on this forum will probably start helping you find them.
Bob

akrvbob said:
If you find a Dodge (or Ford or Chevy) van you like, call the closest Dodge (or Ford or Chevy) dealer to the van and ask if they will do a pre-purchase inspection of a van? If they will, then call the owner and tell him you have already arranged for the dealer to inspect the van for you. Will he take it to them and drop it off? If he will, go for it. If he won't, drop him from your list of potential vans.

In America there are companies that rent vans and then sell them after a few years of service. They will be fairly low mileage and well maintained. You might want to start with them, if they are in your budget. Two big ones are U-Haul ad Penske. That is the company name. In fact you can look them up inline and find their inventory. Here are their box trucks in LA, where you may fly into:

https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trucks-for-Sale-near-City-Of-Industry-CA-91744/713039/

Here are Penske vans for sale:
http://www.penskeusedtrucks.com/search-inventory.html

Here is a place in LA where they sell ton of vans:
http://www.famvans.com/

Here are Enterprise vans for sale:
http://www.passengervansales.com/?utm_source=rideshare&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=UsedVanLink

Tell us where you are flying into, and some of the nice folks on this forum will probably start helping you find them.
Bob

Thanks Bob
Can you tell me a date for the next meeting in Phoenix? I will try to make my travel arrangements so I can be there?

I have been looking, reading and seeing videos and my conclusion is that it is a High Van that I want for my travel.
It must be a van that I can stand up in, I am made stiff in my bag so I cant bend over as easy.

I want to be stealth, boondocking and going to the wild :)
There also needs to be room for 2 sleeping for 2 weeks. after that Ill be alone.

In your language, what is the names for that type off vans?

It is wild to sit here in Denmark and thinking of driwing in a van true USA, not knowing anything about the country at all.
There is so much to learn and I am looking forward to it. I am sure you all will help me to a nice experience!

Smile from Maxine

No worries Maxine, you've come to the right place for help and advice.
Have a safe flight and a great American adventure !