Greetings from Denmark

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maxine, you now have two threads going asking the same questions. I don't want to answer them in both places. Do you want me to merge this one in with the other you just started or that one in with this one?

The van you are looking for is commonly called a High top conversion van.

Do you know what a Class B is? It is a regular van that a company turns into a high-top RV. I think that would be perfect for you but they can be expensive.

What is your budget?

The Winter 2017 RTR dates are:
Jauary 10-22, 2017
Bob

akrvbob said:
Maxine, you now have two threads going asking the same questions. I don't want to answer them in both places. Do you want me to merge this one in with the other you just started or that one in with this one?

The van you are looking for is commonly called a High top  conversion van.

Do you know what a Class B is? It is a regular van that a company turns into a high-top RV. I think that would be perfect for you  but they can be expensive.

What is your budget?

The Winter 2017 RTR dates are:
Jauary 10-22, 2017
Bob

Thanks Bob
I am having a lot of questions about the van That I am going to find. I think that is best to do at: Choosing the right Vehicle - Van :)
A Class B sounds nice, but as you say, it costs. I will see how much I can get together.
I am willing to start form scrats with an okay car, but then I need tools and help on the way. 
There is some time to the meeting in January so lets us see what happens.

Smile from Maxine

Hello Maxine  I live in south Alabama and this week the temps will be from around 60 at night to  80 degrees in the day time.  I am wondering if you realize that you may need weeks before the RTR in AZ next january to purchase and equip a van?  A lot will depend on where you find the van that you will buy.  There are many people here who will help you about the different vans and what you need to get started.

I haven't been in L.A. in over 30yrs. I don't think the traffic has gotten any better.....I'll put it this way I would have to be stabbed then shot then tied up and put in the trunk of a car blindfolded to travel thru LA in a vehicle.  Now all you folks in L.A. please don't start looking for the tar and feathers :D    Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston Texas  are the biggest congested Hiway systems that I ever want to drive on.

There is a large Danish community in South Dakota, my best friends there are Jorgensons,  I have been outside when the wind chill temp. was  -51 degrees up there.  My friends always asked me to drive If we needed to go to Dallas TX. At that time there were fewer people in S.D. than there were in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex.

Most of the southern states here are pretty big.  I suggest you may want to purchase a Road Atlas for the USA.  I know there are maps on the internet but I like the big pages on a atlas to follow my route on.

Well it sounds like you all are getting ready for a new adventure,  I hope everything goes smoothly for you

Jewellann and Queenie {the untrained attack chihuahua}

Tjaybird said:
Hello Maxine  I live in south Alabama and this week the temps will be from around 60 at night to  80 degrees in the day time.  I am wondering if you realize that you may need weeks before the RTR in AZ next january to purchase and equip a van?  A lot will depend on where you find the van that you will buy.  There are many people here who will help you about the different vans and what you need to get started.

I haven't been in L.A. in over 30yrs. I don't think the traffic has gotten any better.....I'll put it this way I would have to be stabbed then shot then tied up and put in the trunk of a car blindfolded to travel thru LA in a vehicle.  Now all you folks in L.A. please don't start looking for the tar and feathers :D    Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston Texas  are the biggest congested Hiway systems that I ever want to drive on.

There is a large Danish community in South Dakota, my best friends there are Jorgensons,  I have been outside when the wind chill temp. was  -51 degrees up there.  My friends always asked me to drive If we needed to go to Dallas TX. At that time there were fewer people in S.D. than there were in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex.

Most of the southern states here are pretty big.  I suggest you may want to purchase a Road Atlas for the USA.  I know there are maps on the internet but I like the big pages on a atlas to follow my route on.

Well it sounds like you all are getting ready for a new adventure,  I hope everything goes smoothly for you

Jewellann and Queenie {the untrained attack chihuahua}

Hi Jewellann
I will be able to land in Los Angeles or Las Vegas. I think that is the closest to Phoenix. Where I land depends of many things. If I need an adresse to get permed to be in US, where can I get that? Where does I find a vehicle that is worth looking at?
If I find a vehicle that is empty, I dont have any tools so I relay on help from the RTR meeting.
I dont know any one with a workshop in the US ;-)

Are you participating in the RTR?

I am arriving almost naked so I need starting help to get going.

I know that the RTR meeting can be cold, but I want to meet all the nice people there and learn about your ways to do things. After that, I will definitely go to warmer country :)

:) Maxine

RTR is actually in the warmest part of the country in winter. Many of us stay around that area till spring and then start migrating to places we want to go as the weather warms.

bindi&us said:
RTR is actually in the warmest part of the country in winter. Many of us stay around that area till spring and then start migrating to places we want to go as the weather warms.

Isnt it about 0 at night?

Some nights will go down to 30F but mostly in the lower 40s. Sometimes days might be only 50F but many times 60 and even 70.
Often we start the day with a light jacket and by mid morning be in shirt sleeves. 
Its not unusual to see some folks wearing shorts.

Overall, its still some of the warmest weather in the nation and that's why so many go there.
We call these folks "snowbirds".

bindi&us said:
Some nights will go down to 30F but mostly in the lower 40s. Sometimes days might be only 50F but many times 60 and even 70.
Often we start the day with a light jacket and by mid morning be in shirt sleeves. 
Its not unusual to see some folks wearing shorts.

Overall, its still some of the warmest weather in the nation and that's why so many go there.
We call these folks "snowbirds".

So it will get cold in the night :)
That means I need to be possible to keep varm somehow. Will see what vehicle I get :)

We use fleece sheets and a couple fleece blankets and are quite comfy.
Cool evenings and early mornings we use our Buddy heater for a little while. Insulation in the walls and ceiling helps a lot, as does throw rugs and window coverings.
The coolest time is the few hours just before sunrise. 
I am old and skinny (no body mass) so I get cold easily, yet it's the best place for me to be in winter without bundling up in heavy winterwear.
I think you will get along fine there.

As a few people have suggested already, renting a van while for the two weeks that your wife will be traveling with you will make everything easier and more enjoyable for both of you.  Renting is expensive but there are companies that rent simple camper vans and the price is about half of the cost of renting a RV for the same amount of time. Here are a couple:
http://www.wickedcampers.ca/usa.html

https://www.jucyusa.com/

This will also give you some time to decide what you want for your solo travels. Hope it all works out and we see you at the RTR!

Maxine said:
Hi Jewellann
I will be able to land in Los Angeles or Las Vegas. I think that is the closest to Phoenix. Where I land depends of many things. If I need an adresse to get permed to be in US, where can I get that? Where does I find a vehicle that is worth looking at?
If I find a vehicle that is empty, I dont have any tools so I relay on help from the RTR meeting.
I dont know any one with a workshop in the US ;-)

I'M NOT SURE BUT I THINK PHOENIX AZ MIGHT HAVE A AIRPORT

Are you participating in the RTR?

I DON"T THINK SO, AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TOO.  MY PICKUP TRUCK IS 25 YEARS OLD AND HAS OVER 200,OOO  MILES ON THE ENGINE.  I MAY HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ENGINE OR A VAN IF I CAN FIND A GOOD ONE THAT I CAN AFFORD.  SO I'M NOT GOING TO SPEND ANY $$$$$ THAT I DON'T HAVE TO.   THE RTR IS OVER 2,000 MILES FROM ME SO BETWEEN TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS AND SAVING $$$$$$   I DOUBT I WILL BE AT RTR.

I am arriving almost naked so I need starting help to get going.
 I DO NOT THINK YOU CAN FLY NAKED   :p  EVEN SOME OF THE SHOPS HAVE SIGNS THAT SAY.......NO SHIRTS .. NO SHOES ...  NO SERVICE......I'VE ALWAYS WONDERED WHY THEY DON'T CARE IF YOU HAVE ON PANTS OR NOT?    MOST TOWNS HAVE THRIFT STORES WHERE YOU CAN BUY CLOTHING AND HOUSEHOLD GOODS VERY CHEAPLY......SOME OF THE CHURCH RUN OR COMMUNITY THRIFT STORES WILL GIVE PEOPLE THINGS THEY NEED WHEN THEY ARE LOW ON $$$$$$  A PERSON JUST NEEDS TO ASK FOR HELP.

I know that the RTR meeting can be cold, but I want to meet all the nice people there and learn about your ways to do things. After that, I will definitely go to warmer country :)

I WOULD LIKE TO MOVE TO NM OR AZ WHERE IT IS DRY AND WARM, I  HAVE ARTHRITIS BAD IN MY HANDS AND CENTER OF MY SPINE...I THINK DRY COUNTRY WOULD BE GOOD FOR ME, HOWEVER FOR PERSONAL AND FINANCIAL REASONS I NEED TO BE HERE AT LEAST ANOTHER 12 TO 18MOS.

THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE ON THIS SITE THAT ARE VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT VEHICLE BUYING AND CONVERTING  THEM TO CAMPERS.....PEOPLE ALWAYS  OFFER ADVICE AND HELP WHEN THEY CAN.

JEWELLANN THE TEXAS JBIRD

Jewellann
If you see a plane that jumps in the sky, it is because people there are laughing their ass off because there sits an old, almost naked woman and freeze  :D

Maybe we will see each other else where on the road. I want to drive around to see a lot of your country.

Learning units of measure is completely unnecessary. The reason is that, as you need to have any thing in a certain quantity..you are also provided with the tool that measures it....

For example...how far is it to the next rest area? Sign says 20 miles. Well, your car measures miles on the odometer. Need to measure out a tablespoon? Well, just find the little spoon that says TBSP and use that. You do not need to know how many feet in a yard..how many yards to a mile..how many teaspoons in a tablespoon . AND, that knowledge does not make anything easier. Simply use the tool that does the measurement for you.

Having bummed all over Europe, I still cannot tell anyone how far a meter is...nor do I need to..just use the tool that measures it out for you.

The toughest part of vehicle registration is going to be DOMICILE. You have to have an address. The vehicle must be registered in the same state as your Domicile. Costs and rules vary by state. While there is no need for an annual inspection..,the cost of the annual registration is not cheap. Depending on what county you pick...the insurance can be really expensive!

There are a few websites that do some comparisons. Pick your domicile based on your need.

In AriZona, only Phoenix and Tucson  require smog testing. My license plates are $20 per year, $32 for 2 years.
A few days rent at an RV park will give you an address you can use and then travel on. You could use any of the many little towns near Phoenix to get established. Insurance is cheaper in smaller towns too.
California has too many rules so I would not buy there, nor try to use an address there. Everything is more expensive there also.

I have to use g00gle every time I want to convert something to metric, which is very seldom.

Maxine said:
Please tell me if you know of anything I must prepare.

Is your Driver's License in Danish, or do you now have some kind of multi-language European Driver's License?

If the info on it isn't in English, you will probably need  an International Driving Permit, which you have to get in your home country before you come over.

As far as registering your van here in the US, you might consider joining Escapees in Texas.  They have a mailing address and mail forwarding service that Texas recognizes as a valid address for such things as getting a driver's license, car registration, and so on.  Texas is very popular with the full timing crowd because there is no state income tax there.

https://www.escapees.com/

And there's another thing.  You've hinted that you might like to stay longer than 6 months, and mentioned that you get disability payments.  I have no idea whether your disability income would be tax exempt here in the US or be considered as taxable income.  Probably not important if you're just a six month tourist, but possibly important if you stay longer.  The US embassy in Denmark can probably answer your questions on that subject.  If it turns out that it is taxable, then the choice of state you register your car in might be important.

Escapees, great suggestion, O-P! They would help work out a lot of the details.

Maxine, I was chatting with my Danish neighbor during water aerobics this morning telling her about your upcoming visit. She said to tell you that food in the US, especially things like bread and cheese are crap compared to what you're used to. When she used to travel in her van she made a point of stopping at grocery stores and, if she could find them, bakeries and cheese shops in order to find "edible food". LOL! I think she's still feel the effects of her trip home tp Denmark earlier in the year, she's pretty unhappy with our road food choices now.

:)
I am reading and seeing videos about RV's a lot, and I think that a Class B sounds right. But it is not Stealth! And I like to feel the city puls as much as the country ease! So what to do... I dont know about the possibilities in your country about parking, but I know that I cant pay a lot every night for it!
I am having Butterflies in my stomach but they are smiling. I am going to see so much new and beautiful. YAHHHH

I do live in a country with wealth, but freedom??? In some way, yes, We do have democracy but my freedom depends of my pocketbook. I need the freedom to be able to go anywhere at any time without breaking laws. Here I own a house, a car, a dog, a company. I can say what I want to, but I do feel so many limitations. 
By living in a vehicle I can go when I want, where I want. I want that! That is where your size matters :) enormous Citys and deserts and...

About skills, I am goooood in some things and absolutely baaaad in some. Isnt  that so for us all? I do believe in the right to give the best I have, in the expectation to get the same from anyone else. And it is there best, not my best, I want from them .-)

About bread, it is easy to make your own, also with US ingredients. I will try to bake a bread for you :)

I have made a writing under:Communication: Cell, Internet, Mail Delivery - domicile address for Dane
There I ask about help to address issues and Tax and vehicle registration...

I like to talk to you and hope to meet you over there :) Maxine

Queen said:
Escapees, great suggestion, O-P!  They would help work out a lot of the details.

Maxine, I was chatting with my Danish neighbor during water aerobics this morning telling her about your upcoming visit.  She said to tell you that food in the US, especially things like bread and cheese are crap compared to what you're used to.  When she used to travel in her van she made a point of stopping at grocery stores and, if she could find them, bakeries and cheese shops in order to find "edible food".  LOL!  I think she's still feel the effects of her trip home tp Denmark earlier in the year, she's pretty unhappy with our road food choices now.

Hi Queenrecipe
I think I can make a goooood bread also with US ingredients so I hope to meet you. Then You can take the recipe to your neighbor :)
I eat meet and vegetables and eggs the most and that I am sure you have lots off.

Take care :) 
Maxine