Greetings and Best Wishes to All

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Moore

Reaction score
OGreetings and best wishes to all of you!
I've been contemplating a nomadic life for nearly a year and learning a tremendous amount from the CheapRVLiving videos on YouTube.
Today is my first day to visit the forum.
In just three days I intend to purchase my van - THRILLED!
Looking forward to becoming an active part of this community and sharing my journey as it unfolds.
Wishing the very best for all of you, always.

Well since you have a van picked out that's the main hurdle, the rest (outfitting and buildout) can be taken in stages. Watch lots of YT videos from other vandwellers, look at Bob Well's YT videos, or read up here on the "conversions and Modifications" subforum.

Let us know what you buy etc...

Welcome, Wes! Congratulations on finding your van! Can't wait to follow your build! (that means pics, pics, pics, please)

Hi Wes,
How exciting that you have a van you're getting ready to buy. Now you just have to make it your home. I know you'll get wonderful info on this site. I'm fairly new myself and have been nicely surprised by the helpful advice and info available here. Best wishes on your build.

Welcome aboard !
You have a famous name !
Les Moore from WKRP radio in Cincinatti .....

Welcome Les to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to all of you who have stopped by.  Wonderful comments from some of you and I feel very welcome.

It was 7/25/17 when I made my first post.  Now it is 9/1/17 and this is my first time back.  Never intended it to be so long, but life happens.
The van I was looking at turned out not to be "the one".  I thought it odd that the pics of the van posted online were of front, back, and driver side only, no passenger side.  I was cautious, called the seller and had a long talk, then thought for a $6,000 investment it would be worth buying the CarFax.  I learned there were no wrecks on the history, the van was being sold in FL, but it had not been in FL long.  It had spent it's first 16 years on Long Island, NY.  This prompted me to call the seller again and inquire about rust.  They admitted there were rust issues and poof, they disappeared.  Great outcome really as I would never have been happy personally with a rusty van.

I did make a purchase of a 1999 Volvo V70 Station Wagon with 150,000 miles and I love it.  I payed a whopping $700 knowing I needed to spend $400 more for a timing belt and drive belt.  I also had an alignment done.  So for $1,200 total I had my new ride.  For an additional $110 I got cross rails and a cargo box off of Craig's List adding another 20 cu ft of storage.  The gas mileage is great at 28 mpg highway and 24 mpg city.  

On Aug 15th I set out from the east coast of FL heading for Central Texas where my twin boys live with their mother.  I allowed myself to sleep in hotels the 2 nights on the road.  I got here on the 17th, which is two weeks ago.  I rented a room for the first two weeks because I was making so many adjustments.  But today, TODAY, I put my things in my car and said goodbye to the room.  Tonight will be my first night in my car and I am thrilled.  Everything is working out very well.

I suspect this post is long enough already so I'll sign off.  Thanks again to Bob and CheapRVLiving, and thanks again to all of you who I have learned from and will continue to learn from.  

Drive and Thrive!  

Les Moore

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 4
Cool!  I'm off the hook as the FNG!  It's all your fault now Les :)

Welcome.

Welcome back Les. That Volvo sounds doable, but keep us updated on it.

Thanks for the update and keeping us posted, Les....Nice looking car and what a deal! I really love the big cargo box you got; looks like it will hold plenty of stuff. 
Good for you for acting on your dream! Where are you headed? Maybe the RTR in January? And where do you imagine yourself spending time, or do you think you'll just go explore for awhile? Looking forward for the continuation of your story!
Ciao for now, 
Flower Girl

Well, if you need some Volvo tips just let me know. I've been obsessed with them since getting my first one a decade ago.
Built two as toys. Nothing like scaring ricer kids with 400hp of turbo wagon I promise you.
If I were single and going back to vandwelling I would seriously consider a Volvo wagon. Darn hard to kill.

Celebrated my first night sleeping in my wagon last night!

Chose to park at the large regional hospital in our area.  Worked out perfectly.  Very quiet and peaceful.  
The Volvo isn't my dream home, but it's a great starter home.  No doubt having a storage unit here that I can go to daily and rotate whatever I need in the car makes this far easier.  I've always enjoyed living simple.  Less stuff = more discretionary time.  That's my preference.  
First impressions?  FREEDOM.  Best night's sleep I've had in months because I'm happy.
Today's goal:  Privacy.  I will be cutting some cardboard window covers for now because they are free.  I'll also be rigging a black out curtain to hang behind the front seats.  Should have no problem getting this done today. 

Gideon33w, I may indeed contact you for Volvo tips.  I can handle very basic maintenance, but I have very limited experience with significant mechanical work.  Would have really enjoyed riding shotgun on some of your runs with ricers.

FlowerGirl, my hope is to attend the 2018 RTR.  That would be fantastic.  For now I'm spending time here in TX reconnecting with my twin 16 yr old sons.  We three are having a great reunion after two years apart.  Long term I hope to drive and thrive for years.  No clear goal of when I'll be leaving the Central Texas area.

Ballenxj, I sure will keep you updated.  I'm keeping things really simple for now.  Very little in the vehicle.  A goal for the week is to buy an air mattress.  I've got several layers of blankets and mattress pads for now, but a little more comfort will make sleeping just that much sweeter.

jim1521, you're welcome.  LOL!

Drive and thrive everyone!  More soon,

Les
Reigning FNG

First hint ... Buy a set of Torx bits. Volvo loves them and you will find plenty you can't get at without them.

Les
I had 2 Volvo wagons back in the 70s .
A round fender one with the split tailgate and a square one after that.
Don't remember much about them except learn how to work on them yourself........

Three nights in the Camel Wagon and all is well.

Camel Wagon.jpg

I have been sleeping in the large parking lot at the local hospital.  Quiet, shade trees, lots of empty parking spaces, seems very safe.  I live in a city of about 60,000 people and this is a large regional hospital.  I've driven through the local Walmarts to consider them as options, but they seem to have much brighter lighting and far more walking traffic as well as police cars patrolling through the night.  There are a couple of small free camping areas nearby, but they are fairly secluded and unprotected.  Still looking for more options.

Camel Wagon Cargo Area of 67 cubic feet.jpg

99 V70 cargo area.jpg

Second night I added cardboard window covers on three rear windows that I painted black on one side.  I also found some small curtains in my storage unit and bought a small spool of twine.  They were simple to hang, covering more windows on both sides.  I have some expandable reflective shades I use in the front window.  Privacy made me sleep even better.

Camel Wagon as a Bedroom.JPG

Camel Wagon window covers.JPG

Third night I bought a 1 1/2 inch foam camping pad for $20 and put it under my multiple mattress pads.  Lovely!  I'm sure eventually I will find a used Thermarest pad and my bed will be luxurious.

Plenty of places around here with free wifi.  Last night I went to Taco Cabana, had a small meal, and worked on the internet until 10 pm.  Used the restroom, washed my face, and headed to the hospital to sleep.

Spending today, Labor Day, at a Barnes & Noble sipping a coffee and enjoying - really enjoying - the satisfaction of having started living out of my vehicle and starting to connect with some of you here on the Forums.  

I hope I can contribute in some ways to enhance this community.  Thanks again to all of you who have said hello.

Drive and Thrive!

Les

Attachments

• Camel Wagon Cargo Area of 67 cubic feet.jpg
    Camel Wagon Cargo Area of 67 cubic feet.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 99 V70 cargo area.jpg
    99 V70 cargo area.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Camel Wagon as a Bedroom.JPG
    Camel Wagon as a Bedroom.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Camel Wagon window covers.JPG
    Camel Wagon window covers.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Camel Wagon.jpg
    Camel Wagon.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
You already have contributed.
Posting those pics and suggesting hospital parking as well as places to get free wi-fi...
There are lots of new members to the tribe that are just starting out and can use that info.

I remember using cardboard window covers in my pickup while traveling back and forth across the country in my early days in the music biz.....later on I replaced them with pieces of poli iso insulation painted black on one side and white on the other. Black side out in the cold weather to absorb the sun and white out in hot weather to reflect it away.

;) :cool: ;)

Latest posts