Greed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perseverance

Reaction score
Someone saving for a Motor home and goes to food banks for food that truly needy people need? HUH?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Some people are saving for a mobile home out of necessity, will be their only home.

Each locality has their income eligibility rules, other than that not for anyone else to judge

Well, let's see....say that person, rather than saving for a motorhome, used that money to buy food. After a while, that money's gone. No motorhome, no place to live in their old age....and now you see them at the food bank, looking like they're sleeping outside (because they ARE sleeping outside). Better?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In my opinion it is not greed.
Would it be better if they had a monthly loan payment on said rv purchase and needed help with food after that?

It's not like they were saving for a vacation, tattoo, or any other non-necessity. Often people live in places where housing assistance is non-existent, but food assistance is there.

If this person/family qualified for food shelf services they did so based on their existing income and budget situation. They would have qualified if they were saving that money or not.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

You have no way of knowing what their circumstances are.

It depends on just how much they are trying to save and what their situation is.  If they are trying to save up for a brand new motor home from one of the major manufactures, then I would agree that there is something wrong with the picture. 

But if they are trying to save up for an older cargo van that they intend to DIY into a home, then I'd have no problem with that.

I'm working on withholding judgment on others, since I'm not so perfect myself. It's a constant struggle. Sometimes I think about what a stranger might think if they saw me and the way I live. That helps me to be less judgmental (for about 5 minutes anyway...then I catch myself judging someone, and have to reboot the process all over again). For instance, I know a beggar in Jerusalem, where I used to live. People who don't know him might scoff because he wears really nice clothes even though he begs 6 days a week in the public market. What they don't know is that every penny (OK, shekel) he collects, his wife and children take it directly to the market to buy, prepare, and deliver delicious hot meals for poor people who have just been released from the hospital, or are too sick to properly care for themselves. Appearances can be deceptive. We really don't know what other people are experiencing until we walk a mile in their shoes. Blessings!

Perseverance said:
Someone saving for a Motor home and goes to food banks for food that truly needy people need? HUH?

I see where you all are coming from. I worked in a food bank and saw the lack of food deminish to nothing and we had to close the door to people without any shelter. Just a bit upsetting to me[emoji21] Backing away from this discussion[emoji7]

Moxadox said:
I'm working on withholding judgment on others, since I'm not so perfect myself. It's a constant struggle. Sometimes I think about what a stranger might think if they saw me and the way I live. That helps me to be less judgmental (for about 5 minutes anyway...then I catch myself judging someone, and have to reboot the process all over again). For instance, I know a beggar in Jerusalem, where I used to live. People who don't know him might scoff because he wears really nice clothes even though he begs 6 days a week in the public market. What they don't know is that every penny (OK, shekel) he collects, his wife and children take it directly to the market to buy, prepare, and deliver delicious hot meals for poor people who have just been released from the hospital, or are too sick to properly care for themselves. Appearances can be deceptive. We really don't know what other people are experiencing until we walk a mile in their shoes. Blessings!

[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

That extra energy being wasted on anger could be constructively be applied to campaigning for the pantry getting enough resources to help all those needing it.

If there isn't enough reasonable needs testing then that is another approach could help solve the problem at a systemic level.

Are you also angry at rich people taking every possible deduction on their taxes even though they don't "need" it? If the food bank is running out of food it likely either doesn't have the proper budget or it's not being managed well in some way.

Perseverance said:

Oh Hon, you haven't seen anything. I have watched as two (Russian? Ukrainians?) went to a food bank, filled up their bags and hop into a brand new car. I have seen them walking with their family to church also.....Not surprised anymore.

It's been said that the definition of a religious fundamentalist is "someone who is terrified by the possibility that somebody somewhere might be having a good time".

I think the definition of an economic fundamentalist is "someone who is terrified by the possibility that somebody somewhere might have a dollar that they don't deserve. "

Both seem to me like equally silly wastes of energy.

More than two decades ago in Atlantic City New Jersey. Jean Webster used her retirement to cook food and offer it to anyone that stopped at her house, no questions asked. If you came at lunch time you were fed. She was arrested, forced to move, robbed of all the food, over run by gamblers tour buses out of NY that dropped clients off for lunch. She didn't give up. and always; "rule is, if you are hungry, you eat at Sister Jean's."

Wanderer said:
Oh Hon, you haven't seen anything. I have watched as two (Russian? Ukrainians?) went to a food bank, filled up their bags and hop into a brand new car. I have seen them walking with their family to church also.....Not surprised anymore.

Could that possibly be a cultural issue as opposed to greed? Used to be, that's how you got your rations over there.

Wanderer said:
I know[emoji849] some give and some take.

mizjewels said:
Could that possibly be a cultural issue as opposed to greed? Used to be, that's how you got your rations over there.
But not here! People work hard to provide for the needy here as volunteers! If I was blessed with a new car, I would sell it and get something cheaper so I could buy ..... Society is just changing and not much can be done, I guess! "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer"

I don't know how people can judge others if you haven't walked in their shoes.

Just because a family is driving a new car, doesn't mean they own it.

Don't assume.

Weight said:
More than two decades ago in Atlantic City New Jersey. Jean Webster used her retirement to cook food and offer it to anyone that stopped at her house, no questions asked. If you came at lunch time you were fed. She was arrested, forced to move, robbed of all the food, over run by gamblers tour buses out of NY that dropped clients off for lunch. She didn't give up. and always; "rule is, if you are hungry, you eat at Sister Jean's."
Like[emoji3]

Latest posts