Gray water... why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, have you BEEN to a truck stop? Swear to God, I had drivers in my fleets that would simply go in a 5-gallon bucket until they couldn't stand the smell, and throw out the bucket and get another. 8 ounces of gray water would have been a blessing.

The gist of my question was to see where the general population fell in between "Boy Scout" and "IDGAF." Myself, I try to stick to the "don't be a d**k" rule when traveling, and it's worked for a month of Sundays.
No, don't recall ever camping at a truck stop. In the west it's easy to find public land, and further east I usually park wherever... just off the road and on private land, if there isn't any NF. Never had an issue with that.

There are no guarantees since someone might complain, and there might be an LEO who is very concerned about making a quota. But generally not being a dick is a good policy that works just fine.

The big RV's have the grey directed into the path of the black water so it will rinse the hose out after in case any solids haven't fully rinsed through. I try to have a few gallons in there for that, and so no greases clog up my pipes.

Bluedogz….lets try a different approach. Tell us how YOU see YOURSELF doing daily living chores while living your dream.

Then we can help you critique that into effective water and energy conserving ways.

Bluedogz….lets try a different approach. Tell us how YOU see YOURSELF doing daily living chores while living your dream.

Then we can help you critique that into effective water and energy conserving ways.

What a great question...

I see myself generating gray water in three ways:

Washing dishes: so, detergent & food scraps. Left to myself, I'd probably just drain it onto the ground because 100% biodegradable.

Washing clothes: no scraps but 100% detergent. Not a clue.

Bathing/hygiene: Assuming I have a solar shower or similar, just.. runoff onto the ground...?

In Florida State Parks there are often "drains" every couple sites to pour your dishwater

These are a section of clay pipe buried upright leaving a foot or more above ground.........additionally wire mesh is placed in the bottom of the pipe............Critters are unable to access the food scraps

YMMV

What a great question...

I see myself generating gray water in three ways:

Washing dishes: so, detergent & food scraps. Left to myself, I'd probably just drain it onto the ground because 100% biodegradable.

Washing clothes: no scraps but 100% detergent. Not a clue.

Bathing/hygiene: Assuming I have a solar shower or similar, just.. runoff onto the ground...?
You are stuck in the rut of only knowing one way to do things because that is how you were taught in childhood. That is true of most persons transitioning to a very different way of living away from running water and sewage systems.

I never in 4 years I have ever had a need to wash my clothes at my campsite. You will not have a need to do so unless you plan on being away from towns for a number of weeks at a time. You can purchase lots of extra underwear as it does not take up a lot of space. You want to have two weeks worth of clothes. That does not mean 14 pairs of jeans and 14 shirts 🤣 With no one else around to see some extra dirt stains on clothing…only you are there to notice it. Do daily sponge baths! Save back one clean set of clothes to wear into town on laundromat days. If you need to go into town every 14 days that is no hardship but instead it is an opportunity to get some fresh food at a grocery store as well as do laundry so you have clean clothes.

Dish washing. I NEVER have a pan of dish water with food scraps in it to throw out. As soon as you are done cooking and eating you wipe the pan and dishes out with a paper towel. Then you have a spray bottle filled with 50/50 vinegar and water. Spray the dishes and scrub with another paper towel. Job done, minimal water used. The cheapest paper towels in the store are good enough. If you are a campfire person the paper towel waste won’t even impact your trash hauling. For a greasy pan first absorb any excess grease onto a paper towel and wipe out sticky food wile it is still soft. A silicone spatula is a great pan scraper for that soft sticky residue then wipe that off onto a paper towel. Then a tablespoon or so of water heated in the dirty a nonstick pan will get any remaking grease transferred onto another paper towel because heating the pan liquify the grease allowing the paper towel to soak it up. Then just use the vinegar spray to finish the job. Oh and do buy a small hard plastic pan scraper to loosen tough spots.

Bathing, there are lots of eco friendly soaps. No problem letting that water soak into the ground unless there is a local ordinance from the BLM or NFS or other agency forbidding it.

I have one friend who does a lot of dishwashing as he is on a carnivore diet which creates a lot of greasy dishes and dirty dish water. When he sets up camp in the forest or desert he goes away from his immediate campsite and digs a cat hole. That hole remains open the length of his stay and the water that goes in just soaks into the ground. That is his water disposal hole for dish water. He fills it in on moving day before he leaves the area. Be sure it is not close to your camp as food laden smells along with the moisture will attract flys and rodents, possibly snakes as well. I do not need to do what he does as I do not have a very greasy pan and dishes issue.

Last edited: